PDA

View Full Version : Support for .DOC, .DOCX or .ODT files?

Slingblade_47
02-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Hello there.

I'm presently an author for FurAffinity and DeviantArt (although I haven't started posting my stuff on DA yet), and after being routed to this site I'd like to expand my online presence here. However, when I went to start posting the files I've uploaded on FA, I found that I could only post text files. For me, this format is unsuitable, as it means that I then lose all of the formatting I put into my stories and poetry, namely the italic text to denote thought patterns and titles and the coloured titles of each part. I've also had a watermark specially made for me, and it would mean I'd be unable to use it.

What this says to me is that I cannot upload my files here at present, since all of them are in .DOC. Although I can post the pictures I've bought and received, that isn't the primary reason for my presence. Was wondering if support for the three formats in the title was to be implemented at some stage? =)

Thanks in advance.

Dark
02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
I would guess that supporting DOCX and OpenDocument files would be relatively simple; they're just renamed ZIP files with XML in them to denote formatting and the like.

ThomasKing
02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
And if we're going with adding DOC or DOCX support, can it please be made so that carriage returns are treated as new lines and not new paragraphs? I tried to submit a short story, and the system threw my formatting everywhere, adding massive amounts of white space between lines of dialogue. So I went through the whole thing and forced a new line (hold Shift+Return) instead of a new paragraph where needed, only to have the whole lot indent when I went to indent the first line. If I really want some white space between two paragraphs, I'll press return twice! Thank you.