PDA

View Full Version : Favourite OS

ShadWolf
02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Thought it be a good idea to see what your favourite OS's are that you like to use on a daily basis. :3

We'll keep it simple so it doesn't start unnecessary flame wars of which OS is best, often people can get a bit too carried away when it comes to topics like these. ;p

Simple questions are; "What is your favourite OS and Why?"
---------------------------------

My main system I use is Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5, I use it because it's very stable and fast and I've never had any problems with it. It's great for Multimedia stuff and Video editing thanks to it's pro-like video editor software iMovie which gives great flexibility in creating top quality videos suitable for viewing on any computer and devices. I also find OSX best for when it comes to coding since there's a vast amount of software you can get for which you can use to work in such as Sublime Text 2, Xcode, plus others more. –– Now I know that Mac isn't particularly gaming worthy in some folks eyes but… I find it pretty good sometimes when playing games off Steam, or playing Minecraft.

My 2nd system I use is Ubuntu 12.10, I use it because yet again it's very stable and fast, not to mention lightweight too! when you stack compare it to the likes of Windows and OSX, since it's loaded with only what you need, instead of being piled with excess junk you wont ever use. Plus you have that flexibility to add more to it later if desired, very customisable and perfect for programming in too since it has all the right stuff built-in from the start with the likes of Gedit Text Editor which is somewhat similar to Notepad++, but as a more simple editor for all kinds of works. Plus with Linux support from Steam I can play games that I want to play right on Ubuntu given to us by Valve who has great and promising support for Linux Gaming over the preference of what Windows can offer in terms of performance and support seeing as Microsoft is dropping development of DirectX 11, we'll see the likes of OpenGL and OpenCL to replace it completely eventually.

Ibuuyk
02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
My favorite OS for old games is XP, and Vista for everything else.

Sadly I'm using 8 now.

Dark
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Vista

BURN THE HERETIC. :V

Anyway, I primarily use Windows 7, but I also have Linux Mint 12 on an ooooooold (circa 2001) laptop upstairs and a Galaxy S2 which runs Android 4. I consider myself a Linux guy but I find myself using my Windows machine more, if only because it's, uh, actually modern and not half-destroyed.

benanderson
02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
My favoruite OS by and large is Mac OS X. Its the power of UNIX, X11 and open source wrapped up in a fantastic GUI that also runs Photoshop. Whats not to love? I just adore the workflow in OS X, its no frills and too the point. Mount a network disk, run automator, job done.

However, when it comes to production servers I used to use Linux (specifically Ubuntu Server for its scalability and usability). But configuration files start to get tedious over time when simple changes become annoying because of the command-line only interface or little things could bring down the entire deamon (such as a one syntax error in the Apache config when setting up WebDAV support brought down the entire web service), so I'm now running Windows Server 2008 R2 and its an absolute dream of a server OS. One server now runs as a local network backup, web server, database server, web file access, torrent server, VPN server, web media streaming server and local home media server - each individual feature only took a few minutes to properly configure and secure as well - its a win-win.

Price is an obvious issue, however, especially now that Microsoft have bumped up the price of the bare basic Windows Server 2012 (Server Essentials) package up to an astonishingly high £500. Though, sadly, I know I'm going to stick with it rather than go back to Linux, purely from how easy it is to setup and its just as effective for what I use it for.

- - - Updated - - -

Microsoft is dropping development of DirectX 11, we'll see the likes of OpenGL and OpenCL to replace it completely eventually.

I've just re-read your post and had to double take. They're still making DirectX, but XNA is going down the toilet. But I am in the same boat as you, hoping that OpenGL and OpenCL take off big time as they did in the mid 90s gaming scene because those systems seem far more effective when I've seen them in action.

Dark
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
I've just re-read your post and had to double take. They're still making DirectX, but XNA is going down the toilet. But I am in the same boat as you, hoping that OpenGL and OpenCL take off big time as they did in the mid 90s gaming scene because those systems seem far more effective when I've seen them in action.

Never mind that the Open** (except AL I'm assuming) libraries are cross-platform and DirectX is not. Shame Macs are stuck on OpenGL 3.3 whereas the rest of the world has moved on to 4.0+.

Sparky15756
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I love Windows XP and Windows Vista, even got a bit of love for Windows 95. =3

benanderson
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Never mind that the Open** (except AL I'm assuming) libraries are cross-platform and DirectX is not. Shame Macs are stuck on OpenGL 3.3 whereas the rest of the world has moved on to 4.0+.

OpenGL only supports a limited number of graphics cards. OS X 10.8.3 will support AMD Radeon 7000 graphics cards (as drop in replacements in the MacPro as well as rumoured for the new MacPro and possibly the next iMac). With support for the 7000 range, OSX will be fully capable of OpenGL 4.2.

It is a bummer how it is still stuck on the 3.x release, though unlike other OSes, OpenCL is fully integrated into OS X - its a win loose situation.

Onyx
02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
As an OS, Mac OS X (pretty much from 10.4 to 10.8) is my favorite. It's just generally the nicest experience using a machine I've had, on an OS level. Some Linux distributions come close, though. (...Well, I guess the best experience I've had with an OS ever was Windows XP, but I'm trying to keep it more recent!)

With that said, I'm kind of stranded on Windows 7 for the time being - it's just required for a fair chunk of things for me, these days. I'm tempted to Hackintosh my desktop (...rather, shift to OS X since I've already got it installed) because, due to its older hardware, none of the demanding Windows applications get run on it to begin with.

Also a few various Linux machines running different distributions. I've gotta toy with Arch again sometime. I loved it.

(have some more parentheses)

ShadWolf
02-20-2013, 06:38 AM

You could probably manually update the OpenCL/GL version for OSX by downloading and compiling the latest source for the system, but you may encounter some bugs for it while using it. It is highly supportive to NVIDA and Radeon cards… me I'm not particularly a fan of Radeon and would go with NVIDA since that's the only one I've ever used mostly cuz it's never let me down.

Dark
02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
You could probably manually update the OpenCL/GL version for OSX by downloading and compiling the latest source for the system, but you may encounter some bugs for it while using it. It is highly supportive to NVIDA and Radeon cards… me I'm not particularly a fan of Radeon and would go with NVIDA since that's the only one I've ever used mostly cuz it's never let me down.

With GPUs it's all YMMV really. I've never had a problem with any of my Radeons that hasn't been my blunder.

RX-149Dragonite
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Ubuntu 12.10 is alright. The only downside is that I can't play my Steam games on it, since my laptop can't render in OpenGL 3.0.

But then again, why limit myself to one OS? I run Win 7 (going to upgrade to 8) and Ubuntu on my laptop, and on the desktop I'm building I'm gonna keep it 7.

TigerBeacon
02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
I've got a four year old laptop (that's outdated long before I bought it) and still toting Vista like a pimp.

Haters gonna hate.

Taw
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
I've used quite a few different Operating Systems over the years, '98, Millenium, XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu 8 through 12, some random Mac ones I forget the names of, etc.

Personally I prefer 7, primarily because it supports all my games and programs extremely easily with no problems for the most part, and because I've used Windows for most of my life. Video editing is nice on Macs and such, and Ubuntu is nice for some things, but I find Windows is the easiest for me to work with. I know it really depends on what your job is and hobbies, but it suits me perfectly fine. c:

As for 8 - I don't plan to use it unless necessary; though one of my wallpapers (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/2104) was used as a desktop in a review (http://www.nag.co.za/2012/06/29/windows-8-analysis-part-one-the-desktop/) for it!

Dreaming
03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I've stuck to the Microsoft Windows OS since I started using computers, never used anything else. Windows 95 was crap, all I ever used it for was Minesweeper... though I was 4. Windows 98 was the same damn thing? All I did was watch my older sister use AltaVista and late-90's email clients. Windows XP was plain terrible, lets forget that it ever existed. I've used a Mac OS before and it ain't worth the price

The only one I've used extensively is Windows7. It was great while it was current but I like using the latest OS releases :L but Windows8 is just... no thanks

And now I use Ubuntu, there are insignificant issues but it beats Windows8 by far

Nightpaws
03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Since starting off with my first PC I've used: Windows 3.1.1 for workgroups, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4, XP, Vista, 7 and 8, Ubuntu (lots of versions), fedora (again, lots) and Mac OS X (A fair few versions).

I'd have to say that out of them all Windows 7 has to be my preferred OS. Mainly as it's stable (enough), recent, and doesn't have the (cr)app based interface of Windows 8. Sure, I could upgrade and disable it all, but then I'm as well sticking with 7 which works out the box :)

Brace
04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
I guess Linux Mint. Windows 7 is nice as well though.

Mayhem
04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Well I have had a ton of them.
Windows 98 for its simplicity and the fact that is used up like 1% of your memory.
Then Windows XP, it looked good and you could tweak it where it used almost no memory, looked good and ran everything.

I wish windows was more like XP.

Vista, 2000k, 1995, 7, All sucked in my opinion.

Linux was awesome but I got tired of messing with it to make my programs work.

Lucy Bones
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Linux.

OpenSUSE for life.

Sinabu
04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I use a little bit of everything but would have to say Windows for all around daily use.

My main PC is Windows 7 while my laptop is windows 8. I also have an ipad for couch surfing and email along with my cell which is windows phone 8.

:)

Dark
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Windows 97

Uhhhhhhh pretty sure "97" never existed and was in fact 98SE.

JRWenzel
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Vista 64 ultimate for the time being.

If MS sticks with its current trend with Windows 8, I’ll have to eat my software investment and change platforms; most likely a flavor of Linux.

catalepsy
04-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p0 at the moment.

Mayhem
04-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Uhhhhhhh pretty sure "97" never existed and was in fact 98SE.

Thats what I get for not proof reading and typing fast. It was 98. One key away makes all the difference. Glad you knew what I meant.

Flygon
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.quicktech.us/images/Win2000_logo.png
Would be the perfect OS if programs still supported it!

Tiamat
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
I love Windows 7. My favorite OS so far since 3.1.
I've heard they've already discontinued it in favor of 8. I'm going to hold out for as long as possible. I've heard such terrible things about 8.

AquaVixen
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I've always been rather fond of MS-DOS 6.22 myself, probably since I started using computers before we had windows.

Although these days all 3 of my "main computers" I use on a daily basis use Windows 7 of some flavor. My laptop and my NAS/Secondary-Computer uses Win7 Ultimate x64. And my big "beast" the 4.8 ghz hexacore i7-980x uses Win7 Professional x64 .... for various reasons.

I love Windows 7. My favorite OS so far since 3.1.
I've heard they've already discontinued it in favor of 8. I'm going to hold out for as long as possible. I've heard such terrible things about 8.

To anyone that hasn't personally experienced windows 8 yet: Go to a local Brick`n`Mortar store (best buy, walmart, etc) and tell one of the sales folks you've never seen windows 8 yet and you'd like to look at it on one of their display models. Most of the time they'll help you and let you click around on it, and sometimes disable the "sales ads" that run on display models (that prevent you from accessing the actual windows GUI) and let you experiment with it. This way you can pretty much try Win8 for free without doing anything to your computer, and learn if you'd like it or not.

Tiamat
04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I've always been rather fond of MS-DOS 6.22 myself, probably since I started using computers before we had windows.

Although these days all 3 of my "main computers" I use on a daily basis use Windows 7 of some flavor. My laptop and my NAS/Secondary-Computer uses Win7 Ultimate x64. And my big "beast" the 4.8 ghz hexacore i7-980x uses Win7 Professional x64 .... for various reasons.

To anyone that hasn't personally experienced windows 8 yet: Go to a local Brick`n`Mortar store (best buy, walmart, etc) and tell one of the sales folks you've never seen windows 8 yet and you'd like to look at it on one of their display models. Most of the time they'll help you and let you click around on it, and sometimes disable the "sales ads" that run on display models (that prevent you from accessing the actual windows GUI) and let you experiment with it. This way you can pretty much try Win8 for free without doing anything to your computer, and learn if you'd like it or not.

i was actually going to say dos as well. My first PC was an XT with an orange and black Hercules monitor.

KumatoraKazooie
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Don't really have a favorite but so far I like Windows 7 the most, especially being able yo pin your favorite programs to the toolbar.

AurumLutra
04-20-2013, 03:42 AM
I really miss Windows 98, though mostly for nostalgia reasons. Otherwise, I've had good luck with Windows 7. I'll probably stick with it as long as I can, since the design of Windows 8 isn't impressing me.

Von
04-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Arch Linux for ground-up customization and bleeding-edge breakage.

Taw
04-20-2013, 03:58 PM
I primarily use Windows 7, so that's my preferred operating system.

I don't have a problem with other OS like Linux distros or Mac computers use and such, I just don't really use them for what I do most of the time. Plus I've used it the most of any other operating system so I'm quite comfortable with it, even modifying different parts of it to how I like things using different modification tools on the internet.

I also do use Ubuntu on my laptop. It's alright and quite interesting to use but Skype tends to eat up 2GB+ on it if I leave it running too long. Kind of unfortunate, I suppose.

Toshabi
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Gameboy color, to me, was probably as good as it gets. It was simple, fun and wasn't too overly complex to master. Definitely way better than the master blaster for the Atari.

koregg
06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Windows 7 definitely for the amount of time I've spent with Microsoft. For mobile I go with android, interested in Ubuntu Touch. Always make sure my mom uses Ubuntu on her laptop.

oneandonly
07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Windows 7 definitely for the amount of time I've spent with Microsoft. For mobile I go with android, interested in Ubuntu Touch. Always make sure my mom uses Ubuntu on her laptop.

DANIEL, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE ON THE FORUMS...

Anyway, Windows 7 is the OS I prefer. I have a thing about how Windows 8 is only letting big time developers make apps for their OS.

On the linux side though, I've always been a fan of DSL (Damn Small Linux) and Linux Mint. Anymore I find Ubuntu to be too graphics intensive. Linux Mint seems to be a great all around OS, personally.

LuxorSlopski
08-08-2013, 12:20 AM
welllll for mobile and tablets i use iOS i fucken love how simple and quick everything is.
also just how it kinda does everything for you.

i like OSX too.
but sadly ive come to like windows 8 and OSX evenly. lol

CSY571
08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
even though i use Win 7 for everything i do,i love Debian

Dark
08-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I have a thing about how Windows 8 is only letting big time developers make apps for their OS.

Seriously? It's like Microsoft has a death wish or something, because they're doing a good job of ruining their ecosystem.

oneandonly
08-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Seriously? It's like Microsoft has a death wish or something, because they're doing a good job of ruining their ecosystem.

Their policy for Individual developers are:

Requires credit card to verify your identity
Restricted from using certain app capabilities
Cannot list desktop apps in the Windows Store
Costs approximately $49 USD (the exact amount varies depending on the currency of your country or region)

Freaking bull.

Ratte
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Windows 3.1 and 98 because nostalgias. 3.1 was just too precious. My grandpa had customized the shutdown sound to be a flushing toilet for his 3.1. :V

Dark
08-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Their policy for Individual developers are:

Freaking bull.

Walled gardens are in themselves bull. If you don't know how to run the most basic antivirus you shouldn't be using a computer.

FlynnCoyote
09-25-2013, 06:24 AM
For mobile I love android.

I never did really get the appeal of any apple made os. On pc or mobile device. They're just... too kid friendly. I feel like I'm using a toy. :P

For pc I use whichever Windows os is available. I like XP and 7, and despite what a lot of people have said in this thread Windows 8 is fine. It takes a little getting used to but I have not encountered any issues that would dissuade me from using it again on my next pc purchase.

Mewtwolover
10-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Linux FTW! I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.

However, when it comes to production servers I used to use Linux (specifically Ubuntu Server for its scalability and usability). But configuration files start to get tedious over time when simple changes become annoying because of the command-line only interface or little things could bring down the entire deamon (such as a one syntax error in the Apache config when setting up WebDAV support brought down the entire web service), so I'm now running Windows Server 2008 R2 and its an absolute dream of a server OS. One server now runs as a local network backup, web server, database server, web file access, torrent server, VPN server, web media streaming server and local home media server - each individual feature only took a few minutes to properly configure and secure as well - its a win-win.

Price is an obvious issue, however, especially now that Microsoft have bumped up the price of the bare basic Windows Server 2012 (Server Essentials) package up to an astonishingly high £500. Though, sadly, I know I'm going to stick with it rather than go back to Linux, purely from how easy it is to setup and its just as effective for what I use it for.
Windows Server AKA IIS is overpriced shit especially when it comes to security. Try SUSE Enterprise Server, it might likely change your opinion about Linux servers since Ubuntu Server isn't good.

Fibriel Solaer
10-18-2013, 05:28 PM
At this time I am stuck with Windows 7, which is adequate.

I would use Linux, but I don't want using a computer to become a social movement, and Linux effectively forces you into a community. That and Linux lacks commercial support (which it wouldn't if people like me avoid it saying "I'd use Linux if it had more support".)

JiJi
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Windows 7 for all my written work, games, fixing other technologies (phones and such)
I use Mac Lion for my music work mainly, but I prefer windows interface more, I'm more accustomed to it.

Android for mobiles, more open and free to experiment with, plus the little easter eggs in every version are fun to discover upon update.

Tiamat
01-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Windows 7. They killed it off unfairly and way too soon. Assholes.

Hewge
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Windows 7, I guess.

Krespo
01-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Xubuntu. All the benefits of the most popular and widely supported Linux distro (Ubuntu), but with the fast and lightweight Xfce desktop environment. Plus all those bluey-green colours are really pretty c:

Windows 7 I use for Steam and Skype. I'm none too fond of it, but what can you do? Those programs and games work best on Windows. Hmm, time to screw about with WINE!

Levi
01-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I use Windows 8.1 for day-to-day work, at home at least. Work is using 7 still. I happen to like both well enough. I've also got a netbook running Mint.

As far as mobile goes, Android. iOS remains outside my price range.

Dreaming
01-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I kinda like Android, my phone uses Gingerbread... I can't figure out if it's a Samsung or Android issue but screw that internal memory stuff

Windows 7 I use for Steam and Skype. I'm none too fond of it, but what can you do? Those programs and games work best on Windows. Hmm, time to screw about with WINE!
Linux Skype is ok tho :c

Krespo
01-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Linux Skype is ok tho :c

I always run into problems somehow. I think it was because I always used a 64-bit distro (and Skype's a 32-bit program). Sometimes the noises that thing made sounded like a demon being choked as it orgasms D:

darkkyothepsycho
01-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Windows 7 is my answer.
I HATE Windows 8.

Runefox
01-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Favourite to use? Kind of a mashup between OS X Mavericks and Windows 8(.1). Windows 8 actually has a lot of neat things added to it, like the quick admin menu, redesigned system apps, faster startup, lighter on resources, better search... Compared to Windows 7, it's a clear upgrade. Only thing is the start screen, which you can either get rid of through some start menu replacement, or get used to (hint: it's nothing more than a full screen start menu; For best results, hit Windows key, then start typing).

Not a terribly big fan of Ubuntu's Unity or really any alternative desktops. XFCE or LXDE is probably my favourite for utility, though I have to say Unity does have some neat features (the search is pretty good for instance). That said, Linux command line / bash is unbeatable, particularly Debian-based distros with their excellent package management tools.

Though, BeOS and Amiga Workbench will always have a special place in my heart as curiosities and wonderment of what could have been. Both were so far ahead of the curve.

Percy
01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm using Windows 7 as it's just what I have.
My dad, an IT manager, is pretty against Windows 8.

Runefox
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm using Windows 7 as it's just what I have.
My dad, an IT manager, is pretty against Windows 8.

A lot of people are because they take one look at the Start screen and they think it's nothing like previous versions of Windows. In reality, that's one of the only changes. Despite the fact that it's the first thing you see when you turn on a Windows 8 PC by default, it's actually not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Krespo
01-02-2014, 11:36 PM
A lot of people are because they take one look at the Start screen and they think it's nothing like previous versions of Windows. In reality, that's one of the only changes. Despite the fact that it's the first thing you see when you turn on a Windows 8 PC by default, it's actually not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Once I customised it a bit, I liked it a lot more than the start menu. I dislike Windows 8 for other reasons. Everytime there was a problem with my laptop and I tried to fix it, it felt like the OS was actively fighting and blocking me every step of the way. I don't know if 8.1 addresses whatever problems were with 8, but for now Windows 7 is my Microsoft OS of choice.

Xolani
01-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Depends what I'm doing, really. If it's server stuff, then always Linux or BSD.
Desktop stuff, usually Windows, unfortunately.

I refuse to buy apple stuff for the simple reason that I don't want to pay out of the ass for their brand when I can get what I need from something else, and I'm not particularly wealthy, anyway.

Runefox
01-04-2014, 04:02 AM
When you think about it, the only Apple computers that are overpriced for what you're paying for are the MacBook Airs and the Retina MacBook Pros, but in the latter case there's really nothing else comparable. The iMacs are pretty powerful for what you get, and you also get high end professional displays out of them; The 27" is the same display as the Thunderbolt Display, which is a $1000 display on its own (it's the same panel as the Dell U2711 which also sold for $1000, and both of which are wide gamut, high end IPS displays). MacBook Pros have exceptional battery life and pretty good overall specs without being massive weighty bastards like the ASUS G-series (they're also still repairable / upgradeable unlike the Retinas). Mac Minis are actually half decent little server things that are extremely tiny and not at all expensive for what's in them.

The main problem Apple has is that it hasn't really got a "low end" SKU in any of their market segments except in the Mac Mini. Kind of silly, but they need to keep up their premium image, I suppose... Same reason they almost never go on sale.

Krespo
01-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Last night I installed Linux Mint 13 with Petra backports. My deity, it's glorious ;^;

Everything just works! This is the first time ever I've had zero problems with anything out of the box. Skype even works 100%, and if some of my Steam games work through WINE it's time to give Windows 7 the middle finger.

irick
01-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Though, BeOS and Amiga Workbench will always have a special place in my heart as curiosities and wonderment of what could have been. Both were so far ahead of the curve.

Have you given HaikuOS a go recently? It's a ground up binary compatible reimplementation of BeOS. It's actually got a fairly viable software portfolio to boot.

My alltime favorite OS is NextSTEP/OpenSTEP, though any *nix platform is great for me to work with. I've gotten so used to hammering out shell scripts and stringing together utilities that anything without unix pipes and sin/sout feels frustratingly limiting.

On the mobile front I'm still pretty firmly in the *nix camp. SailfishOS looks pretty awesome, iOS can be very powerful. Android is filled with Java, but is otherwise a solid system :P I currently use Android but i'm hoping that SailfishOS takes off.

Saiko
01-07-2014, 02:36 AM
I use Windows 7 for games, and Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon 2.0 for everything else. The only problem I've had with Mint 16 has been Skype because it freezes randomly and crashes during calls. Other that though, everything works excellently. c:

Runefox
01-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Have you given HaikuOS a go recently? It's a ground up binary compatible reimplementation of BeOS. It's actually got a fairly viable software portfolio to boot.
... Why did I think Haiku was PowerPC-only? Am I thinking of something else, or did the project actually start off as PowerPC?

TealMoon
01-07-2014, 04:04 AM
I like XP and 7. Easy to use, doesn't fight when something weird happens.

Vista though was horrible. It was incompatible with everything!

Ley
01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
I reeeally liked windows XP, personally.

Now I really like OsX uh.. whatever the one before Mavericks is. Beautiful. <3

Also I relaly like Android phones. <3

Saiko
01-07-2014, 05:23 AM
Also I relaly like Android phones. <3
I actually think I prefer iOS over Android for phones, buuut... I abhor iTunes; and it'd be the only Apple device I owned. Apple products work best when used together.

Not to mention with Android, I can write my own spamming apps to piss off my friends when I'm bored. :B

Runefox
01-10-2014, 03:59 AM
I actually think I prefer iOS over Android for phones, buuut... I abhor iTunes; and it'd be the only Apple device I owned. Apple products work best when used together.
I actually don't mind iTunes all that much. I just have to make sure that any music I download outside of iTunes is properly tagged and in ALAC format before bringing it over to my library. I use iTunes Match and iCloud backup, so I really don't ever have to sync with it at all. As a media library it's pretty great, though for high quality playback or for other formats I use XMPlay.

Having used Android on a phone for two years (Galaxy Nexus), I can say that it sucks for phones. Battery life is routinely terrible due to runaway system processes, crashes are way too common, firmware upgrades are few and far between (even on the GNex), and god help you if you're running a Samsung or other manufacturer's handset and you want to upgrade to a new version of Android. Yeah, there's Cyanogenmod and other firmwares but seriously you shouldn't have to spend ages hacking the crap out of your phone just to get it to work correctly. I ended up having to tweak everything down to the voltages to get decent performance and battery life out of my GNex, and it took me weeks to do so every time I updated my ROM. And I had to use a custom ROM because the stock ROM got me maybe an hour and a half of screen-on time with shitty performance to boot.

... Long story short iOS > Android on phones. Less dicking around with random crap and more just using it. Tablets it's a wash; I rather like my Xperia Tablet Z and with its stock firmware it's actually a rather good experience. Obviously though, if you go iOS for one thing, you get the best experience with iOS on all the things.

Nightpaws
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
An update; I've been converted!

Mavericks/Mountain Lion is/are my new favourite choices of OS. Windows 7 comes second with Ubuntu taking up a distant third.

I purchased a MacBook pro to start me off at uni with the intention of running Windows 7 off it however I've been drawn in and now can't keep off it. it's pretty, shiny, and functional! :D

Tembrau
01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Raspbian/Debian is my favorite operating system because it isn't too bloated and it is just what I need to program.

autogatos
01-17-2014, 02:50 AM
I've been a steadfast Windows user forever (even during Windows ME...*shudder*). Tried Mac OS in college (my campus was a "Mac-only" campus) and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Although I did like how pretty and shiny everything was...so I was pretty pleased when Vista (well, 7 for me, I skipped Vista) added that to Windows. And I use Stardock on all my machines because I really did like the Apple program dock thing.

I'm on Windows 7 on my desktop and 8 on my laptop. I'm really not a fan of the new Metro nonsense, but it's easy enough for me to ignore it most of the time and I do like the actual desktop mode improvements they made in Windows 8.

I'm actually an iOS user when it comes to phones though. When I got my iPhone, the Android UI was still pretty...ugly. They've made it much nicer now, but I'm used to my iphone and it does what I need it to do.

irick
01-20-2014, 04:02 PM
... Long story short iOS > Android on phones. Less dicking around with random crap and more just using it. Tablets it's a wash; I rather like my Xperia Tablet Z and with its stock firmware it's actually a rather good experience. Obviously though, if you go iOS for one thing, you get the best experience with iOS on all the things.

With the new ART runtime in 4.4 I'd say it's a pretty even toss up. I'm running on the N5 with OmniROM, but that's more because I'm paranoid than anything else. With ART I get about two days of usage each with ~ 3 hours of screen on time for a total of around 6 hours of screen on, though I've got no bloatware running random processes in the back. It's the same with the stock ROM.

My previous phone was a 4s, which I loved the crap out of! I had been toying with the idea of switching over to android for couple years. I got a nook color, flashed it with a full version of android and started to mess with the interface. Two years after that I picked up a Nexus 10 and played around with that. Finally, when my upgrade came up, I skipped it and picked up an off-contract Nexus 5.

So far really the only thing I noticeably miss is the 64gb I had on the 4s. The battery life is better than what I had new on the 4s and the ability to lock individual applications out of being able to access say, contacts or location or network resoruces as well as being able to run iptables is pretty amazing. I even have been able to visualize the interface to the baseband. There is really nothing better out there for security.

As for HaikuOS: I think when it was still OpenBeOS the x86 port wasn't yet bootable, but it was always developed with x86 in mind as a target platform because of the later BeOS boxes that used twin x86 procs.

Krespo
01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Has anyone tried Netrunner? It's a Kubuntu respin done right. Comes preinstalled with everything you can think of, including Skype and winetricks. It's the first OS I've had zero problems getting Steam games to run with through Wine. A true out-of-box experience.

Nightpaws
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried Netrunner? It's a Kubuntu respin done right. Comes preinstalled with everything you can think of, including Skype and winetricks. It's the first OS I've had zero problems getting Steam games to run with through Wine. A true out-of-box experience.

Looks very nice, but I've got a thing about preinstalling programs that I just don't like for some reason. I don't even like that Macs come with iTunes, or Ubuntu comes with Firefox. :P

Runefox
01-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Looks very nice, but I've got a thing about preinstalling programs that I just don't like for some reason. I don't even like that Macs come with iTunes, or Ubuntu comes with Firefox. :P

At least in Apple's case, iTunes isn't third party software. I have to wonder what kind of licensing Netrunner is using that they can bundle Skype like that.

Krespo
01-20-2014, 11:18 PM

Normally I'm all about minimalism, but I'm looking for a user-friendly Windows replacement for my family's computers. I prefer light distros myself, like #!. It's simpler and less likely to go under than other distros, seeing as it's only one step removed from debian. The debian>ubuntu>kubuntu>netrunner thing is looking worse as I type this D:

This may be a stab in the dark, but are you an Arch user?

At least in Apple's case, iTunes isn't third party software. I have to wonder what kind of licensing Netrunner is using that they can bundle Skype like that.

I can't remember the specifics, but Novell (openSUSE's maker) signed some sort of agreement with Microsoft which apparently legitimised Microsoft's copyright claims regarding linux. Netrunner and openSUSE are both German-made distros, so it's possible they're both bound by the same agreement under German law.

I tried looking into Netrunner specifically about this but couldn't find anything. If anyone has any real information it'd be interesting to read.

Daydream
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I personally like the OS Mavericks update. It makes my computer run faster, the interface seems cool, and it's just fit for me. As well, I can also update the apps that couldn't be updated because my operating platform was outdated, so I'm pretty pleased with that :3

Nightpaws
01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Normally I'm all about minimalism, but I'm looking for a user-friendly Windows replacement for my family's computers. I prefer light distros myself, like #!. It's simpler and less likely to go under than other distros, seeing as it's only one step removed from debian. The debian>ubuntu>kubuntu>netrunner thing is looking worse as I type this D:

This may be a stab in the dark, but are you an Arch user?

Nope, but I'll certainly look into it next time I'm reformatting my machine. It looks pretty interiguing. My current OSes are just slightly further up the page ;)

Krespo
01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Nope, but I'll certainly look into it next time I'm reformatting my machine. It looks pretty interiguing. My current OSes are just slightly further up the page ;)

...I have got to start reading these thread things.

ReplicTuaniOne
01-22-2014, 01:24 AM
I think my favourite OS is Android and this is why:

It's Open Source, It's very editable ( If you know how ), You can do so much with it, Experiment with it, Total change it.

That makes it my favourite OS, My second one is Ubuntu, But... Because there are almost no good apps for it yet, That will be Windows 8.1 then.

Yes, People say that it's crap, But that's because people don't like change and... they started off crap indeed, but now with the fixed, I see no problem, everything works for me, I have all the acces I need ( And I work with a PC a lot )

So that makes it to my number 2 list :)

Autumnstorm
01-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I know I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but so far I've really liked Windows 8 (now 8.1). Granted I'm mostly a tablet user right now so it probably makes more sense that way, given the awkward-for-desktop "Metro" interface. Being able to run programs like SAI on that tablet, combined with the stylus digitizer on the screen, it's been great for on-the-road sketching and doodling. The whole window snapping thing works well for me on there too.

I have 8 installed on my desktop PC too and it's pretty much fine. It's fast enough, runs all of my stuff and some of those "apps" are a guilty pleasure. That's good enough for me, I guess. :D

Tiido
01-23-2014, 05:01 PM
*prepares to dodge bricks and flames*

I use pimped up Win98SE daily, it is amazing how fast a computer will become once you try that. With some love a lot of stuff will become usable and tweakability is through the roof. Ginormous thänk yous to certain russian people fo making some wonderful utils to make things awesome.
I occasionally run XP and newer stuff but mainly relating to FPGA dev work. I have not yet managed to get thoe behemot programs run on pre 2K systems.

*still gets hit by a brick*

Runefox
01-23-2014, 08:54 PM
I use pimped up Win98SE daily, it is amazing how fast a computer will become once you try that. With some love a lot of stuff will become usable and tweakability is through the roof. Ginormous thänk yous to certain russian people fo making some wonderful utils to make things awesome.
I occasionally run XP and newer stuff but mainly relating to FPGA dev work. I have not yet managed to get thoe behemot programs run on pre 2K systems.

Wait what? How are you even? The most modern browser that runs on it is like pre-Webkit Opera 10, let alone most other things. Memory leaks with high amounts of RAM mean you must be rebooting every day, and unless you're on really old hardware you're probably without drivers for most of your stuff.

Not a DJ
01-23-2014, 09:00 PM
I use Windows 7, don't really have any problems with it. My sister recently got a laptop with Windows 8.1 on it... I thought the new UI wouldn't be as bad as people have hyped it up to be. It was. :\ Gonna stick with 7.

Tiido
01-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Wait what? How are you even? The most modern browser that runs on it is like pre-Webkit Opera 10, let alone most other things. Memory leaks with high amounts of RAM mean you must be rebooting every day, and unless you're on really old hardware you're probably without drivers for most of your stuff.
I run Opera 11.64 and 12.02 mainly and those two definitely do not seem to leak, even after several days of use. Skype on the other hand, that one eventually manages to gobble up quite a few hundred MBytes of RAM. But closing it down and waiting a bit will fix that problem.
I turn of all my computers (except the server, which runs 98SE) when I go to sleep and I almost never have to reboot during a normal session.

Lack of drivers is an issue, but that is what PCI slots are for ^^ I can live without stuff like onboard LAN and audio and stick in my favorite 1Gbit NIC and/or Yamaha sound card and have at it.

I will be disassembling the NTKERN.VXD (among other kernel components) and extend the WDM functions, and eventually target win2K level compatibility, there's only a handful of missing functions in 98SE WDM layer, stuff Microsoft could have easily added if they wanted (but we all know how they think...).

As far as performance goes, it runs circles around modern OSes on modern powerful hardware, and that is one of the main reasons I still keep going with it.

I don't play games and for work, entertainment and internet it is totally enough (and seems to be totally immune to modern malware, but I have not tried MSIE6 + internet combination, and won't lol).
http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/98SEkicksAssStillLOL.png :P

irick
01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
I run Opera 11.64 and 12.02 mainly and those two definitely do not seem to leak, even after several days of use. Skype on the other hand, that one eventually manages to gobble up quite a few hundred MBytes of RAM. But closing it down and waiting a bit will fix that problem.
I turn of all my computers (except the server, which runs 98SE) when I go to sleep and I almost never have to reboot during a normal session.

Lack of drivers is an issue, but that is what PCI slots are for ^^ I can live without stuff like onboard LAN and audio and stick in my favorite 1Gbit NIC and/or Yamaha sound card and have at it.

I will be disassembling the NTKERN.VXD (among other kernel components) and extend the WDM functions, and eventually target win2K level compatibility, there's only a handful of missing functions in 98SE WDM layer, stuff Microsoft could have easily added if they wanted (but we all know how they think...).

As far as performance goes, it runs circles around modern OSes on modern powerful hardware, and that is one of the main reasons I still keep going with it.

I don't play games and for work, entertainment and internet it is totally enough (and seems to be totally immune to modern malware, but I have not tried MSIE6 + internet combination, and won't lol).
:P

That is quite a franken-os you have going there. But, more power to you. Are you still using the old MS-DOS backend or have you figured out a way to get more modern FreeDOS or another replacement to interface with Windows98SE?

Tiido
01-23-2014, 09:41 PM
It would take some hacking on the WIN.COM and some other system files to get a different DOS usable, and it really is not worth the hassle, you got a whole lot to lose but not a whole lot to gain. Most DOS stuff I deal with are my own programs and games and these work fine with the microsoft flavor. And I can always USB or floppy boot into a different DOS flavor if there is ever need.

Runefox
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
It would take some hacking on the WIN.COM and some other system files to get a different DOS usable, and it really is not worth the hassle, you got a whole lot to lose but not a whole lot to gain. Most DOS stuff I deal with are my own programs and games and these work fine with the microsoft flavor. And I can always USB or floppy boot into a different DOS flavor if there is ever need.

From what I understand, Windows 9x was designed to run only on MS-DOS; In fact, even with Windows 3.x, they had some form of crude anti-competition protection that used undocumented DOS calls so that it would crash out on anything but MS-DOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS#Use_of_undocumented_APIs).

Tiido
01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
For 3.x there is a patch to allow use of alternatives including MS-DOS 7.x and 8.x that 9x/Me series used. None exists for 9x/Me however, but it is certainly possible and will need some system files hacked for it to be usable.

ShadWolf
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
As of current I run Ubuntu 13.04, I'm thinking making a jump to 14.10 after it comes out, but quite a long wait for then :P

I haven't had much problems with running 13.04, as 32-bit as apposed to 64-bit which is in 13.10. steam and Steam games have little to none problems, encountered one or two bug glitches on one game, Garry's Mod, which failed to launch because of a symlink error to one of the files it needed to run. Came to suspect that problem was they used the files from OSX, but didn't update the files properly so they'd actually work.

Skype, as I read from few comments here, having issues in Linux with a buzzing noise in 64-bit Linux, you have Microsoft to blame for that, the development of Skype has gone downwards ever since Microsoft took ownership of it. Skype v4.2.1 for Linux has a few annoying things in it I personally don't like in it.

As of quite recent I wanted to try out a different login manager for Ubuntu instead of using the default gnome login manager, I went to go try out SLiM (Simple Login Manager) as an alternative. Its really lightweight and can be pretty customizable to how you'd want it. Did come across a few annoying things with trying to get SLiM installed, it required a bunch all of these different packages installed to actually work, because SLiM uses PAM for login authentication, so i
It was a bit of a fiddle trying to figure out which ones I needed installed. But once setup its really nice, it also kinda gives the feeling like those awesome login screens from movies once you installed a fancy looking login screen. :3

How many flavours does Windows come in? ……Only 1 ……and it tastes like sour lemons.
How many flavours does Linux come in? …… MANY! ……and they all taste so sweet as the most ripest fruits. ;p

Marzipan
01-24-2014, 09:35 PM
I run Ubuntu, newest version out :3 13.10?

It's all I ever use. I have a dual-boot with windows 7 but I don't think I'll ever go back into it again hahaha ;P

irick
01-25-2014, 01:37 AM
As of current I run Ubuntu 13.04, I'm thinking making a jump to 14.10 after it comes out, but quite a long wait for then :P

[...]

Skype, as I read from few comments here, having issues in Linux with a buzzing noise in 64-bit Linux, you have Microsoft to blame for that, the development of Skype has gone downwards ever since Microsoft took ownership of it. Skype v4.2.1 for Linux has a few annoying things in it I personally don't like in it.

I've been able to avoid this by keeping skype from auto-launching. It seems that as long as pulse-audio sets up before Skype the problems are minimized. I'm also using Arch so the config for pulse is pretty clean, there may be some Ubuntu specific config tweaks you might need to disable to get as stable a set up. Here is a link to the Arch Wiki Article that might give you a good place to start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/skype#Crackling.2Fnoisy_sound_.28mainly_using_64-bit_OS.29

As of quite recent I wanted to try out a different login manager for Ubuntu instead of using the default gnome login manager, I went to go try out SLiM (Simple Login Manager) as an alternative. Its really lightweight and can be pretty customizable to how you'd want it. Did come across a few annoying things with trying to get SLiM installed, it required a bunch all of these different packages installed to actually work, because SLiM uses PAM for login authentication, so i
It was a bit of a fiddle trying to figure out which ones I needed installed. But once setup its really nice, it also kinda gives the feeling like those awesome login screens from movies once you installed a fancy looking login screen. :3

SLiM is pretty awesome, if you know some HTML you can even pop in your own HTML5+CSS3 screens for some pretty awesome effects.

ShadWolf
01-25-2014, 12:50 PM
I've been able to avoid this by keeping skype from auto-launching. It seems that as long as pulse-audio sets up before Skype the problems are minimized. I'm also using Arch so the config for pulse is pretty clean, there may be some Ubuntu specific config tweaks you might need to disable to get as stable a set up. Here is a link to the Arch Wiki Article that might give you a good place to start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/skype#Crackling.2Fnoisy_sound_.28mainly_using_64-bit_OS.29

Oh thanks for that, I'll give that a try whenever I've next upgraded to 64-bit OS. Was annoying with the short buzzing sounds after notifications of someone signing out of Skype. Hopefully it should work for custom sounds I want to use with Skype also.

Arch has pretty awesome community to everything Linux.

SLiM is pretty awesome, if you know some HTML you can even pop in your own HTML5+CSS3 screens for some pretty awesome effects.

Oh HTML can be coded for it?, Mm I might give that a try, mind you, will need to look up some Tutorials for SLiM.

There's this one slight annoyance I've been having with SLiM, the option for turning Num Lock ON doesn't seem to want to turn on with the option in the /etc/slim.conf file, I have numlockx installed but that's not cooperating with SLiM at boot even though its set in my initrc file.

voidel
09-30-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm split between Debian and OpenBSD. There's things I liked about Mac OS 9's interface, a few of which were borrowed from NeXTStep, but mostly little polish things such as the sound/window themes. Having the option to get audio feedback while scrolling was nice, even if not essential.

Hardened Gentoo is also nice in a sorta ideological sense, but I couldn't be bothered to do all of that work. Maybe some day.

ShadWolf
09-30-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm thinking making a jump to Linux Mint 17 from LM16, quite a few annoying bugs with LM16, Cinnamon edition is pretty stable but has some pretty annoying bugs carried over from Ubuntu 13.04.

I might give another Linux distro a shot, been thinking of Arch again. Might give it worth the shot to fully customize and setup the way I want it. I'll probably do this after I've given LM17 a shot, I'm hoping most of the annoying bugs will be fixed in LM17 since it's gonna be supported til 2016 because it's running off Ubuntu 14.10 edition.

voidel
09-30-2014, 03:04 AM
I'm thinking making a jump to Linux Mint 17 from LM16, quite a few annoying bugs with LM16, Cinnamon edition is pretty stable but has some pretty annoying bugs carried over from Ubuntu 13.04.

Linux Mint is great, or rather, Cinnamon is great. But I'd recommend you avoid Linux Mint Debian Edition right now if you see that as an option. The installer isn't as good as the other Ubuntu-Based versions. Of course, Id' say that Debian still has the best graphical install wizard, and Cinnamon is currently in the repos for testing. From personal use I can say Linux Mint is a lot more stable than it used to be. Possibly even faster (but that could be placebo).

Arch I have not yet used in-depth, but I read the Arch Wiki all the time. If the community is half as good as the wiki implies, it's probably not a bad choice.

ShadWolf
09-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Linux Mint is great, or rather, Cinnamon is great. But I'd recommend you avoid Linux Mint Debian Edition right now if you see that as an option. The installer isn't as good as the other Ubuntu-Based versions. Of course, Id' say that Debian still has the best graphical install wizard, and Cinnamon is currently in the repos for testing. From personal use I can say Linux Mint is a lot more stable than it used to be. Possibly even faster (but that could be placebo).

Arch I have not yet used in-depth, but I read the Arch Wiki all the time. If the community is half as good as the wiki implies, it's probably not a bad choice.

hmm yeah the Installer is terrible… it makes no sense why they'd remove the other install options like Ubuntu has… you can't even reinstall OS without losing all your stuff because that option isn't even available on the installer like Ubuntu has… =/

I'd say Debian distros are alright, some are better than others in terms of stability, but graphic drivers tend to be quite an issue… It's difficult setting up Hybrid Graphics, laptops that use both Intel HD Graphics and a discreet dedicated graphics card such as NVIDIA or AMD Radeon. I've read on a lot of channels that the reason it doesn't work out the box for Hybrid graphics setup is because X11 doesn't natively support it, and it would require a recode of the entire thing to make it natively supported by default, until they recode X11 people will have issues trying to setup hybrid graphics, because currently users if they have hybrid graphics setup they have to jump through some hoops to get it to work which involves a bit of tweaking and modifying the system a bit.

I'm only guessing here, but I think other distros like Slack or RedHat probably wouldn't have any issues with hybrid graphics setups… maybe… just depends what's been coded into their systems. c:

babymonkey
10-16-2014, 07:00 AM
My favorite OS is Mac OSX. Yosemite looks like its going to be a great version.

I also like arch linux and have it on my other pc. Not really a fan of windows but I do have Windows 7 on my gaming PC.

Ieono
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Ubuntu for me.

GlitchyBat
10-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I dual boot OSX 10.8 and Linux Mint 17 XFCE. The latter I prefer but OSX covers things that can't run on Linux, mostly Unity3D. Mint 17's pretty cool as it had Wacom tablet support built in and seems to give less issues with a lot of things out of the box that I had to set up in 16.

TwinkJinx
10-19-2014, 05:20 AM
i'm late to the conversation but of all the laptops and desktops that i've been through i've always stuck with windows. macs imho are very overpriced and a lot of software/hardware that i am familiar with doesn't support it, such as certain steam games (and in my case, the vast majority).

i've had vista, 7, and 8 but the computers were cheap that lasted less than a year and i was limited on the stuff i could do so my opinion on them might be biased. i'm currently using windows 8.1 and the OS has some bug fixes that make it an improvement from 8. i've purchased it in July this year and i ran into only one problem that was an easy fix. in short, my views on windows 8/8.1 are mostly positive.

heh, can't say i'm heretic

Kaedal
10-19-2014, 11:30 AM
I have an old laptop sitting about I intended to use for writing outdoors, or working on programming back when I was learning that. It runs Lubuntu, and it has the longest password I have ever created for the sole reason that I looked at it and went "You know, this looks like it should have a long password". I don't even keep anything of importance on it.

Lubuntu is nice, and it's relatively easy to use. Certainly runs faster than Vista, which is what was on the laptop before. Now, I wouldn't replace my desktop's OS with a Linux based one yet, but laptops are a different matter.

... Though, I am rather fond of Windows 7 as it is.

SimoSkunk
10-19-2014, 11:26 PM
None of them, really. They're just kind of there, for me. Generally, I'm too broke to afford computers to run the latest ones, and too confused to grasp Linux and the like.

zaelyx
10-21-2014, 11:17 PM
I hate to confirm the stereotype (how do you know an Arch Linux user?) but what the hell, it exists for a reason.

I run Arch Linux on my laptop and work computers, with DWM as my window manager. I love getting the newest software without delay, I enjoyed building my system from the ground up; it has really been the first time that I felt like I designed a system to suit my needs, rather than adapted a prepackaged solution to approximate them. The fit is truly much more comfortable for me.

Also as a programmer, you really have to love Linux. I couldn't imagine using anything else.

matthepet
10-27-2014, 06:24 AM
The findings by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech saw Android claim a 36.9% share of the mobile phone OS market, beating Apple's iOS into second place which accounted for 28.5%. RIM took third with an 18.1% share followed by Nokia's Symbian in fourth.