PDA

View Full Version : Community Guidelines

Feefers
02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
As someone who has rather severe dyslexia it saddens me greatly that I will never be able to join Weasyl becuase of this.

What you cry, why on earth would that stop you from joining?

Well from the Community Guidelines (https://www.weasyl.com/policy/community) -

E. Writing
"Writing must not contain excessive typographical or formatting errors, and submissions should be reviewed for spelling and grammatical errors before they are posted. Any submission where technical errors impede the work as a whole will be removed."

As my writing always has technical errors an excessive typographical errors it would have to be removed which makes the site totally worthless for me in joining.

I'm very sorry my disability which I have no control over would cause this situation.

Unburnt Daenerys
02-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Get a beta reader and use spell check. I see one error in your post that spell check would catch and one that a beta reader would catch.

I think it's more aimed at nearly illegible crap like My Immortal than one or two errors a paragraph.

Feefers
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
To be blunt, i'm not going to change my habits for a site, this is the way i am.

Usually my miss-rate of errors in typing is quite high, more so on longer pieces so with the current community guideline in place, i find i won't be able to join.

Aden
02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
To be blunt, i'm not going to change my habits for a site, this is the way i am.

Usually my miss-rate of errors in typing is quite high, more so on longer pieces so with the current community guideline in place, i find i won't be able to join.

Our guidelines are in place so that when a user views a submission, they can expect to be able to read it without excessive impediment. The standard isn't a lofty one but we do expect due diligence in making sure your submissions are at the very least readable.

You have nothing to worry about judging by the content of your posts in this thread. The rule is not so much about misspelled words or uncapitalized 'i's, but more to prevent literary submissions from reading like text speak ('hi im a storee n im 20,000 wrds long. r u gona read teh whol thng?'). While we understand and sympathize with your disability, most browsers and word processors support spelling and grammatical checking features which can help your writing if you feel it's below a degree of legibility; however, I think your writing in this thread has been fine as is.

Telvadian Rebel
02-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah, seriously, you're more legible than a lot of people who have no excuse. I wouldn't worry about it, d00d!