PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

Drifloon
07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
As my dear old Macbook Pro is on its last legs, I have been looking for a laptop to replace Mr. Jaffa Cakes who has seen me through university. I am going back to PC and I was wondering what is the best laptop under say, £700/around $900? I am looking for one that can handle Steam and sixth generation console emulators but can compromise.

Bando
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
As far as brands go, I'd recommend ASUS. Excellent build quality, pretty good specs, and they aren't too expensive. I own a X53S model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230509), and it handles most games very well. Plus it's less than $800.

Ibuuyk
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Gateway makes some really reliable and sturdy laptops, plus they're usually much cheaper than the other mainstream brands.

Aetius
07-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Sager makes affordable gaming laptops, check those guys out.

oneandonly
07-28-2012, 04:27 PM
As far as brands go, I'd recommend ASUS. Excellent build quality, pretty good specs, and they aren't too expensive. I own a X53S model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230509), and it handles most games very well. Plus it's less than $800.

Yeah, they are alright. If only they could make a decent power cable.

I like Dell personally. I've had this Inspirion mini netbook for a while now. I also like HP when it comes to Minis, but the cords can be destroyed fairly easily (not as bad as Asus though) but that's just me.

Drifloon
07-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah, they are alright. If only they could make a decent power cable.

I like Dell personally. I've had this Inspirion mini netbook for a while now. I also like HP when it comes to Minis, but the cords can be destroyed fairly easily (not as bad as Asus though) but that's just me.

Thank you for all your replies! I will check all of them out.

Re: flimsy power cables, can't be as bad as apple's now I am on my third one already.

oneandonly
07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you for all your replies! I will check all of them out.

Re: flimsy power cables, can't be as bad as apple's now I am on my third one already.

Eugh, don't get me started on Apple. You know that now they want to put chips in their devices that makes it so you can't use 3rd party chargers? So many people have told me they broke them, and now they want to make it worse? Not something I'm interested in, whatsoever. I might be wrong on that though, either way, I've still never been an apple fan.

piñardilla
07-29-2012, 06:21 AM
If you don't care much about aesthetics, Lenovo's Thinkpad line is pretty much the gold standard of build quality.

Koneko
07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
ahaha, I'm in the same boat as you, my two year old hp pavilion blew out a couple weeks ago. fucker was like $800 too, though it always did have circulation issues.

I've had dells recommended to me for a replacement, since theyre cheapish and easier to replace parts on, however I dont do a ton of gaming on my laptop so I'm not sure how well one of those would work for you.

Saiko
07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
My personal favorite is ASUS. I've put this netbook through 2 years of relatively heavy use, and my dad had it 2-3 years before that as well. Haven't had a single hardware problem other than parts of the aesthetics finally starting to wear a little.

Kasune
08-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't recommend a Dell. After a year of use it physically began to fall apart for me, and it didn't go through much travel or rough-housing. It still works, but it's on its last legs for sure.

Apple's Macbooks have so many problems, from busted chargers to busted computers themselves. I had a friend who would try to take it into the shop under warranty 3 times in one year. They tried to rip him off, too, so I don't really support the company overall.

I recommend ASUS and Gateway if you want durability.

Tiger
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
My friend had a Dell laptop and the thing just blew one day and is barely usable. I personally have a Toshiba and it's not that great, but in their defense I bought a basic one for $200 so obviously it wouldn't be absolutely high-tech and awesome.

I recommend HP, actually. My whole family uses them and we have had very few problems. I also have an HP desktop and it works pretty well (although for a while I had blue screen/crashing issues but that got figured out fine).

oneandonly
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't recommend a Dell. After a year of use it physically began to fall apart for me, and it didn't go through much travel or rough-housing. It still works, but it's on its last legs for sure.

Apple's Macbooks have so many problems, from busted chargers to busted computers themselves. I had a friend who would try to take it into the shop under warranty 3 times in one year. They tried to rip him off, too, so I don't really support the company overall.

My friend had a Dell laptop and the thing just blew one day and is barely usable. I personally have a Toshiba and it's not that great, but in their defense I bought a basic one for $200 so obviously it wouldn't be absolutely high-tech and awesome.

I recommend HP, actually. My whole family uses them and we have had very few problems. I also have an HP desktop and it works pretty well (although for a while I had blue screen/crashing issues but that got figured out fine).
I recommend ASUS and Gateway if you want durability.

I really don't get it. I mean, almost all companies use the same parts in their laptops especially between HP and Dell. This site (http://www.mindconnection.com/library/computertips/whomakeslaptops.htm) explains a bit of it. I think you guys just got some bad apples.

Also blue screen issues generally lie with bad drivers, software interfering with drivers, or bad hardware compatibility.

wintergreen skunk
01-24-2013, 07:06 AM
if you don't care much about aesthetics, lenovo's thinkpad line is pretty much the gold standard of build quality.

i support this post