PDA

View Full Version : When The Blues Strike Us Down...

DrakkarVance
02-11-2013, 07:15 PM
We all experience it in different ways, most of us just don't feel motivation to do anything, we just want to curl up in bed and hope to hibernate like a bear for the rest of our days not giving a damn about a knock on our bedroom door, a bowl of soup or even an invitation to a trip with some friends; we just want our bed to come alive and eat us up right then and there and leave no trace of our existence behind.

But we can do some things to step out of that cold, gray atmosphere. At least at a level we can feel good at.

The last time I was severely depressed I didn't eat a thing for days and I would stay in bed listening to music or playing videogames and I would try to speak as little as possible. I would only talk when it would be absolutely necessary.

When I used to have a tiny bit of freedom to go out I would drive and get lost myself in the city and tried to make up thoughts of the many faces I would see on the streets and get lost in my imagination:

"That girl looks so lonely, hmm...she looks like she could use a hug from...him...if he's clumsy enough he would trip over her and fall over that birthday cake behind her and he would give her his jacket to cover the mess on her back..."

A granny who feeds the birds who wants to control them with a "Birdbrain-o-taker" helmet in order to take revenge on the kid that would always come every Sunday to scare them off with a ball; A 60 year-old man who goes to a hill with a bag full of blank paper sheets, writing small messages of various experiences and wisdom on them, folding them into paper planes and throwing them off to the tailwind every day at 3 o'clock...

And a lot of other silly little stories like that...

So what do you guys like to do when you are down in the dumps?

I'm not feeling blue right now, I'm just pondering here and I'm curious about other people's thoughts about the subject, that's all.

~DV

Damian
02-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I write little short stories involving some of my characters depressed with a bit of resolution. Since I don't really have many friends to talk to I use that in a way to pep-talk myself...if that makes sense.

Tigercougar
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
I remember all the other hard times I went through in my life, and how though I didn't get through them without battle scars, I always got through them. So though I may be sad and I may complain, I press on and don't let the blues stop me from my goals.

DrakkarVance
02-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I write little short stories involving some of my characters depressed with a bit of resolution. Since I don't really have many friends to talk to I use that in a way to pep-talk myself...if that makes sense.

It does, writing is a good way to vent off your feelings. Besides, no one knows you better than you do c:

I remember all the other hard times I went through in my life, and how though I didn't get through them without battle scars, I always got through them. So though I may be sad and I may complain, I press on and don't let the blues stop me from my goals.

Wow, You must have a very strong spirit! I'm sure you never let life get the satisfaction of that you can't go on, huh?

Hehe well, best of luck keeping at it then!

Thistle
02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Sometimes I'll just watch a silly movie or show (whether it's actually comedy or "so bad it's funny").

If it's one of those bummer moods where I need to be distracted, I'll write/roleplay either really good or really bad things happening to my characters. Even when I go the "horrible day" route, I get inspiration from the thought of people managing to go on even when stuff sucks, more than the semi-schadenfreude aspect.

DrakkarVance
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Sometimes I'll just watch a silly movie or show (whether it's actually comedy or "so bad it's funny").

If it's one of those bummer moods where I need to be distracted, I'll write/roleplay either really good or really bad things happening to my characters. Even when I go the "horrible day" route, I get inspiration from the thought of people managing to go on even when stuff sucks, more than the semi-schadenfreude aspect.

Movies are such a great escape from reality, so are books and pretty much any kind of entertainment.

Writing and composing are my favorite forms of release when the experiences bring out the best colors of the person. It might be saddening and cruel, but most artists got to be big after walking barefooted on fire and catching that cursed energy by the tail and shaping it up into something they could use to go on.

Sparky15756
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
I usually cook up spicy noodles, chilli's are known to cure depression :3

Marsonaut
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Spicy noodles balanced out with a glass of milk... excellent combination. Cooking always helps with the blues. Hell, more than once I felt so awful that I forced myself out of my room (the source of the problem frankly) and went and made chocolate chip cookies. Fresh baked cookies kill the blues. Making them yourself kills them, and creates a buffer that'll last a few days. Otherwise, I exercise and burn out the bad feelings with endorphins and tiredness.

Dreaming
02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I sit and I cry a little, look at all the bad shit in my life and consistently tell myself that no one cares and I suck at everything, and I wait for the moods to swing in my favor

Usually lasts a few days, but my motivation falls into the minus numbers and I've literally been unable to do anything to pull myself out of that so far, so I just wait a few days, I'm certain it'll all end in disaster one of these days. It's painful, and I usually just go silent for days, which isn't good... cutting off from the people who listen. I keep telling myself I'll talk to the doc about it but always find a reason not to, normally because I'm feeling so confident and ecstatic when my moods perk back up that I don't feel like I need to talk about it. I'm largely uncomfortable discussing it with anyone because I can't even figure it out for myself, all I can say about it is "My moods take vicious swings on a frequent basis for absolutely no valid reasons"

I've guessed that it's some sort of emotional/personality disorder but I can't really say that much about it unless I talk with that doc, huh

#fwp, my own fault for not dealing with it effectively, now it's worse than it was when it started

nanakisan
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
My way of managing my blues mostly stems from my art and online gaming.

I take out all my issues on people on the other end of my scope. That or stab em to death as a spy in tf2.