PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Guardians

Tigercougar
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Did anyone here go see thus? How did you like it? I meant to see it but I procrastinated until it went out of the theaters.

Aden
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I've never even heard of it! Looked it up on imdb and looks like it could be interesting

Tiger
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I LOVED it. My friend and I are currently creating a Rise of the Guardians forum. I highly recommend watching it, it's excellent, I love the characters, especially Sandman. The graphics rock, too.

kuto
02-09-2013, 03:06 AM
I went to see it, i really enjoyed it. I prefer it when dreamworks makes these kinds of movies that are timeless unlike the dated pop culture films they used to make that ended with bee movie.

Aokamidu
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
OK, where to begin...?

Rise of the Guardians was Dreamworks' final film released under Paramount (future releases are now under FOX's distribution). It was based on the upcoming book series 'Guardians of Childhood' by William Joyce (originator of Rolie Polie Ollie, George Shrinks, Robots, A Day with Wilbur Robinson - Disney adapted this as Meet the Robinsons) who supervised production so it didn't clash or reveal any plans for his future book releases.

Initial reactions to Guardian's teaser trailers led to a lot of people mistakenly dubbing the film as "a children's movie version of Marvel/Disney's Avengers." Whilst I can understand why (given the success of Avengers), I'd have to say Guardians was less about a team-up and exploring the origin of oft-forgotten Jack Frost and how this mischievous spirit of fun (despite his freezing ability) found his raison-d'Ítre (reason for existing) - that's all I'll reveal plot-wise, so no fear of spoilers.

Anyway, onto my opinion. To me, Guardians was possibly one of Dreamworks' strongest productions since The Prince of Egypt. Like Kuto said, unlike Shrek or Madagascar (or Bee Movie, urgh, I forgot they produced that) Guardians didn't heavily rely on American pop culture references (indeed, they snuck in a reference to the French Tooth Fairy, who is actually a mouse!) nor rely celebrity voices to carry the story (exempting the fact that Hugh Jackman's natural Australian accent pretty much shaped E. Aster Bunnymund - i.e. Easter Bunny!).

I found the characters to be likeable, the context-sensitive humour (so no random stuff ala Family Guy) smirk-raising, and the pace flowing nicely - I was glad to have invested a lot of faith in Guillermo del Toro's directing ability, seeing as he's comfortably dealt with fantasy before (Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy being two examples of his past work).

And finally, the amount of effort Dreamworks put into the art style and effects were really exhilarating - especially for Sandman and interplay of light and shadow for Pitch. I was sold on that so much that I've got the Making Of- book.

In closing, I would recommend Guardians to anyone who wants a visually fantastic non-Disney/Pixar-produced animated film. It's really nothing like anything Dreamworks have produced before and I only wish that Guardians had reaped a bigger return for the company so it'd encourage Dreamworks to experiment more with movie plots and visual imagery (alas, the competition with Disney in the US with the more heavily-publicised Wreck-It Ralph didn't work out too well, and movies released in December in the UK don't generally tend to reap much of a return).

Regardless, I really enjoyed Guardians and glad I saw it (and I'm known to be hyper-critical with what I watch). Anyone interested should see Guardians for themselves - I'm definitely getting the DVD once it's out in the late spring/early summer (date unconfirmed at the time of writing this).

That's my two cents - thanks for bearing with me!

Damian
02-13-2013, 01:44 AM
^ What he said

also I saw it three times. Very recommended. ^^

StellaSong
02-16-2013, 06:03 AM
I loved it. Saw it twice in the cinema, and I would happily watch it over and over.
It was even better the second time I watched it - mind you I had also read the first three books of the series it was based off of between my first and second viewing so that probably made it even better.

It's just such an amazing film.
I adore Bunnymund so much. <3

Telvadian Rebel
02-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Dreamworks did it again! After How to Train your Dragon and Megamind, I had a feeling that this one would be equally awesome. And I wasn't disappointed! Great stuff. And I didn't feel like any of the characters were "just thrown in there" like I do with some movies with a larger cast. They all seemed significant and important to the plot. This one's a must-own for me.

Priincessu
02-16-2013, 12:04 PM
I adored the movie it was very good, creative and just amazing overall. Naturally after seeing the movie I had to run and make a FC for it. My favorite thing about it was Jack's dark backstory. Although when I saw him as a human I was like "AMG HICCUP!"

Damian
02-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Dreamworks did it again! After How to Train your Dragon and Megamind, I had a feeling that this one would be equally awesome. And I wasn't disappointed! Great stuff. And I didn't feel like any of the characters were "just thrown in there" like I do with some movies with a larger cast. They all seemed significant and important to the plot. This one's a must-own for me.

I take it you forgot about the elves. That's one thing I absolutely hated about Dreamworks. They have the herpa-derp useless minion things that are only there for comic relief.

Aokamidu
02-17-2013, 05:14 AM
I take it you forgot about the elves. That's one thing I absolutely hated about Dreamworks. They have the herpa-derp useless minion things that are only there for comic relief.

It's true, I forgot about the elves - I personally found them far less annoying than the lemurs in Madagascar and B.O.B. in Monsters vs. Aliens (maybe because they didn't talk and went more for slapstick?).

Mind you, Guardians is a mainstream American animated family movie, so it's only natural there has to be some sort of overly-obvious comic relief for little kids. I agree though, subtlety was never really Dreamworks' strong point.

Telvadian Rebel
02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I happened to enjoy the elves. I thought they were cute and funny.

Damian
02-24-2013, 02:46 PM
It's true, I forgot about the elves - I personally found them far less annoying than the lemurs in Madagascar and B.O.B. in Monsters vs. Aliens (maybe because they didn't talk and went more for slapstick?).

Mind you, Guardians is a mainstream American animated family movie, so it's only natural there has to be some sort of overly-obvious comic relief for little kids. I agree though, subtlety was never really Dreamworks' strong point.

I thought the penguins were there more for the comic relief more so than the lemurs. At least in the first one. I haven't seen the others.

Man I really miss when Dreamworks had GOOD live-action movies such as Paulie and Mouse Hunt. Shrek was mediocre but didn't have the stupid comic relief characters. All of them had some relevance. Then it slowly became general stupidity.

I happened to enjoy the elves. I thought they were cute and funny.

They were still just thrown in there. There was literally NO use for them. They didn't make the toys, the yetis did. That's the only thing I didn't like. Now if they made toys as well as being herpy-derp I would've been more lenient. The yetis seem more like they'd be body guards anyway rather than toy makers.

Tigercougar
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I saw this at the dollar theater yesterday. It's pretty good. Normally high fantasy like this doesn't do it for me, but I empathized with Jack's central conflict, and I enjoyed seeing the Guardians' interaction with children. Purely on a design level the film was a treat. I like Sandman and the nightmares the most, and I liked the lighting on Pitch.

As for the elves, maybe they weren't strictly necessary, but they did make me laugh.

Varden
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
It was well animated and the characters are nice but I think the message was too "<h1> bold underline THIS". They also passed up what I think was the actual story here, Pitch. He was a bully but he had a reason to and they just glazed it over. Instead of reasoning or coming to terms with him they just gave him the finger and sent him to allintentsandpurposes hell. He wanted the exact same thing the other guardians wanted and he showed them how it felt to have it taken away and they just ignored all of it.

Also tumblr went fucking haywire over the 6~ seconds of screentime bunny and Jack had with that little girl.

Fay V
03-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Man I loved this movie. There was only one thing I disliked about it and that is a single line at the very end where they sort of sum it all up in one sentence. I tend to hate that stuff, but it's a kid's movie so I'll get over it.
Seriously the writing in amazing in this movie, every character has so much depth, tying in to the origins of the holidays as well as the current traditions.

The graphics, the graphics are frikkin amazing. I saw the movie with an artist friend of mine and we were just squealing at tiny details. Things like the shine in the eyes is not balanced, because light doesn't hit directly center, you can see individual threads sticking up in a close up of cloth, showing how rough the cloth would be. All the individual moving sand particles for sandman's effects. We wanted to send a letter to the production team.
We actually sat during the credits to talk about it and realized there were people sitting and listening to us because they hadn't realized all those tiny details had been put in.

@Aleu.
I didn't mind the elves, I thought it was funny. it was an interesting reversal of the standard "these elves work hard forevers" stereotype. There's also a funny little trend when these animation groups use a Russian character, they're using the stereotype of the incompetent Russian peasant. Like the minions in Despicable Me. I had an ex roommate that was russian and he found that shit to be hilarious.
In that context I thought it was a really funny little addition, rather than going with the standard stereotypes for santa.

IntricateVision
03-12-2013, 04:37 AM
I dislike this film. (not hate just mild dislike)
Being Pretty did not make up for the poor characters, and predictable plot for me.
Not to mention the terrible reveal for the protagonist. Something that could have been truly tragic or meaningful... was just sort of: oh okay, time to save the day now.
No determinable reaction. No wrap up to the character's own motivation or questions. I can't really say much more without spoilers tho :0
I feel like the voice for jack is a mismatch for the design. (....and where did he get that sweater...?)
...And... I found the world's mythology distracting.... I don't know if it counts as a spoiler tho :C So I won't say it :CC

The film is not BAD. It may have helped DreamWorks layoff the 350 people they did last month.... It was a pretty big financial flop. (though the massive layoff may mostly have been due to a poor release schedule)
However, from a storytelling perspective, it's mostly dull action. I was bored most of the time. I wanted to have more time to rest between the somewhat redundant fights, and take time to explore our main character.
The side characters do their job as side characters. They have enough personality to be memorable, and had the main character been really well put together, the archetypes they represent would not have taken away from him.
They still don't. But because the main character is rather trite. He takes away from the side characters.

It is however a very pretty film. There's some beautiful examples of design, character rigging, and particle effects.

(Though personally with the exception of the toothfairy, I hate the other designs for the heroes. Especially Jack. He looks like he was designed by committee. He's almost featureless. He looks like, as if it were possible, Justin Beiber's even more effeminate brother, made to appeal to a demographic rather than bothering to give him facial features. He literally looks like the most generic face ever, the one 'designed' by science to be so generic is was also the most attractive from a biological point of view.)

Damian
03-14-2013, 02:22 AM
I just dislike funny for the sake of being funny and Dreamworks has a nasty habit of it. It's the main reason why I've stayed waaaay the hell away from Despicable Me. The trailers absolutely killed any sort of interest for it because it was so outrageously obnoxious. The elves weren't obnoxious but they sure as hell weren't necessary. Less than minor characters that are simply there for herp-a-derp antics is next to one of the lowest forms of boring and mindless "comedy" in my opinion. Right above Seth McFarlane's 'jokes'.

@IntricateVision
I wasn't too keen on the voice pairing with Jack either. Everyone else is fine but it was like, "damn, you're 15-16? That's some serious ball-dropping there."

Aokamidu
03-15-2013, 01:46 AM
I agree with the problem with Jack's voice - I don't know why it is but most American media seem to have this obsession that once a boy hits double-digits in age, his voice goes mega-baritone. Dub-Patsu from Laputa: Castle in the Sky comes to mind, as well as the more recent little boy from Gravity Falls (seriously?! he's supposed to be 10 with a voice like that?!). Plus, it was Chris's first voice-acting role. I mean, yeah, he got into the swing of it, but it took me a while to get used to it - there needs to be more faith in women voice-actresses who can do older-boy voices.

And yeah.... Dreamworks seem to have trouble with comedy - for me personally, everything's too obvious (but then again, growing up in the UK, I'm more used to subtle forms of humour) - I totally avoided Despicable Me as well because it didn't look like the sort of film that actually had a plot that hadn't been done to death before. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm not going to say Rise of the Guardians was the greatest movie in the world, but I found it a lot more watchable than Shrek and Monsters vs Aliens (urgh, can't believe they're going through with a TV series).. and it's nice we're getting the DVD in the UK just before Easter and all. Just.. urgh, s'frustrating it was mis-marketed like the Iron Giant.

IntricateVision
03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
It could be to make up for the over feminine features. Maybe they just wanted to drive home that he was male?
I don't know much about the actual production of the film. I found the designs so off-putting I actually didn't know it was a dreamworks film for awhile :p

I think DreamWorks can be funny.
I just think they can be really on the nose. And that kind of humor really leaves a lot to be desired for a lot of people.

To play the devil's advocate for a second, this movie took some risks. Though it was apparently based on a children's book. At least it was something different. While most other studios are relying more and more heavily on franchise fodder, at least this was something original that we hadn't seen before.
Crap-story-telling aside. It did have the potential for a great story. The elements needed were there.

Tigercougar
03-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I agree with the problem with Jack's voice - I don't know why it is but most American media seem to have this obsession that once a boy hits double-digits in age, his voice goes mega-baritone. Dub-Patsu from Laputa: Castle in the Sky comes to mind, as well as the more recent little boy from Gravity Falls (seriously?! he's supposed to be 10 with a voice like that?!). Plus, it was Chris's first voice-acting role. I mean, yeah, he got into the swing of it, but it took me a while to get used to it - there needs to be more faith in women voice-actresses who can do older-boy voices.

Well it seems to be a tradition that boys and teens are voiced by women in TV cartoons and by actual boys/teens in movies. I'm always surprised the rare times I see a child character in a movie portrayed by an adult, for example. I think Jack's voice is a man's because of his 'timeless' nature. It's a good way to go for a character who never ages that doesn't need to be a child for story purposes.

StupidFace
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
It's far too overrated in my opinion. People made such a big fuss about it that when I finally got to watch it, I was highly disappointed.
Even though the animation in some parts were amazing like the fight scenes and when the sandman uses his sand thing, there were some parts of it that were off. Jack's face didn't match his body, the same with the kids. And don't get me started on his voice, bad choice of theirs.
The storyline was really predictable and boring and it was poor on how they told their histories.
I will however say that I liked the side characters like Bunnymund and Sandman, they made the film more tolerable, Tooth fairy and North had cool designs but I think they were mainly just there for the sake of it. But I really didn't like Jack or Pitch's designs.

In my opinion, Dreamworks did a far better job on How to Train Your Dragon in animation and storyline.

DoktorGilda
04-12-2013, 09:56 PM
i felt that the ending was a little bit rushed and the movie didn't have the best storyline, but it looked gorgeous in my opinion. I loved those character/location designs and all the concept art!

(I'm a sucker for these things)