PDA

View Full Version : Scalie Appreciation Thread

Tigercougar
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Who's got a scalie (reptile/dragon) character? I do not, but I do appreciate the charms of reptiles. Ever since I read that reptiles can be trained my admiration has grown for them. And they come in such pretty colors!

Tiger
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I actually do have one, kind of. My fursona in dragon form. But it's been probably 2 years since I even bothered drawing her. Kinda makes me want to draw her again. But a good friend of mine is working on designing her dragon fursona, and it looks really cool.

As far as IRL goes, my sister is working to get a bearded dragon. He's awesome!

TangoDelahunt
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Okay problem I have with scalies (especially dragons) is that almost every single one is bat-shit insane. Maybe it's just me and I'm not trying to be an asshole but it seems to be the rule of the day. I'm likely wrong but that's just my experience.

TangoDelahunt
01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
I've heard of that stereotype a few weeks ago, in a group that I decided to leave for the sake of my own sanity. I assume “Scalies” is a Furry Fandom specific term, but I know that Dragons are not. I am not sure of the general bias for or against furries with draconic personas, but outside of that, there are far too many Dragon fanatics to clump into the “bat-shit insane” category because of one subculture.
I really need to pay attention to the threads I post in.

I'm just saying -my personal experience-. I'm not flinging shit at you. From what I've seen you seem pretty cool. Again, personal experience. I still have one that wants me to fly to Mississippi to meet him IRL after a RP session in SecondLife.

Tigercougar
01-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Well I know a lot of scalies (as in reptile lovers in the furry fandom) often feel marginalized because most people's fursonas are, well, mammals. I see a fair smattering of dragons, but other than that I really don't see reptile characters in the fandom too often.

JustinMoore
02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm a dragon. Everyone wants me. Enough said. ^.=.~

Okay, no. XD I'm not THAT egotistical. But I think a dragon fits my real life personality very well. Self-confident, intelligent, mature, proud, multi-talented, sexy, but ultimately a romantic type. In other words, anyone would be damn luck to have me in their lives. ^.=.^

GingerM
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I do have a scalie character; her name is Sh'sthress. I've never really settled on a specific breed for her, and it's probable that she's a mix. Certainly she has some attributes of venomous snakes (hollow fangs, venom sac, etc.), but also of raptors. She's quite petite - only 4 ft 10 in tall - and shy: https://www.weasyl.com/character/2044

tachi
01-25-2014, 05:02 PM
My 'sona is a scalie. Technically a warm-blooded reptile but that general jazz. I created the Echoloians because normal anthros just seemed impractical with that body fur. Scalies to me seem to be a more appropriate analogue for human activities.

sassySloth
01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
I like scalies a lot. I wish there were more of them.

xyloart
01-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Dragon here, and only a little insane. *sets fire to everything*

Willow
01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
The only scalie stereotypes I've ever heard of are that they're either all vore fetishists, macro, or muscle fetishists.
I kind of wish there was a little more variation in the kinds of species people use though. Like snakes or even dinosaurs.

Anyways, one of my characters (feature left) is a dragon/reptilian variant. He's loosely based off the eastern dragon (http://www.oocities.org/dragynzz/dragons/eastern2.jpg). He breathes poison gas instead of fire and can't fly. He's also an asshole.

Xolani
01-27-2014, 04:55 AM
Not myself, but my boyfriend's fursona is a crocodile.

To be honest I think "Furry" is an obsolescent name for the fandom. :S

EGKangaroo
01-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Scalies are great, and I think it's a shame that I have not indulged more in the scaley side of the fandom. I do know a good number of scalies, and I see maybe -some- of the stereotypes applying to a few of them, the batshit insane part at the least applies to the majority I know. >w<

And I wonder where amphibians fit into all this. Do they generally just ally with the scalies?

Dire Newt
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
We need more iguanas, and also crocodiles that aren't either impossibly muscular or morbidly obese.

Rory
01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
We need more iguanas, and also crocodiles that aren't either impossibly muscular or morbidly obese.

I feel like this is a problem that transcends a particular species, haha. Some moreso than others, but it is pretty widespread. Orcas are another great example of that dichotomy.

Anyhow, does a furred dragon count as a scalie? I've got a dragon/shark hybrid character who's awesome, but I'm not sure if the former actually counts.

Dire Newt
01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I feel like this is a problem that transcends a particular species, haha. Some moreso than others, but it is pretty widespread. Orcas are another great example of that dichotomy.

I notice it with bears, mostly.

Uncle Dis
01-27-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't currently have any reptile characters, as very few of mine are animals of any sort. I think I currently have four, all mammals. But I am a fan of reptiles, particularly lizards, snakes, and alligators. I will probably make myself a reptile OC at some point. My money's on either alligator or monitor lizard.

Bri Mercedes
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
I have an Eastern dragon-based character named Noodle that I don't draw much! http://brimercedes.deviantart.com/art/Noodle-342276218

My limited experience is that scaleys are opinionated and have big personalities. I knew a scaley in high school who had anger issues and a dragon that has a really bizarre world view but is awesome to hang out with. But that's only two out of many, so I can't make a blanket judgement.

athdaraxen
01-30-2014, 12:54 AM
OH OH *raises hand* I'm a scalie!! :D

Her name is Ath'daraxen (the name loosely means celestial fire)... this is her character page (https://www.weasyl.com/character/13583/ath-daraxen), older pic but in color! (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7471813/) She is a gladiatorial slave, kidnapped at a young age and forced into deadly battles so that she may live for another day. A better description is linked above!

I've had her since I was about 12, so going on 10 years now. <3

Batty Krueger
01-30-2014, 01:14 AM
My first sona was a raptor 15+ years ago, then a dragon for a couple more years. Reptile sonas didnt really fit with my personality so thats when I went batty. I dont mind scalies though, I have a good handful of dragon/lizard/whatever friends that are not typically fucked in the head.

Gumshoe
01-30-2014, 01:51 AM
When I first became a furry about 8 months ago (yeah, it hasn't really been that long) my dragon persona was pretty much the first thing that popped into my head when I discovered the fandom. I never really had an interest in making another persona, my first one is me and I'm happy with it. Am I screwed up in the head you ask? I would say no, but how can I declare myself not to be insane? I wear fedoras after all.

hdrgn
04-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Im a dragon......crazy? maybe ^_^

Lucy Bones
04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm a fish!

Appreciate me! D:

Hewge
04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
I appreciate fishes when they are in my belly.

Lucy Bones
04-21-2014, 11:14 PM

;.;

You monster

Antumbra
04-21-2014, 11:15 PM
So wait, are dragons considered scalies or is that like a separate sub-category?

Lucy Bones
04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
So wait, are dragons considered scalies or is that like a separate sub-category?

I guess that depends on if you're a scaley dragon or a fuzzy dragon.

Zeitzbach
04-22-2014, 03:27 AM

Who doesn't?

They are scalies but with how they take over 90% of the scalie fandom, might as well give them their own categories?

My purple gecko cries every time people thinks he's a

1) Digimon (QQ)
2) Dragon

or

3) Female (At least it means he's doing it right)

TheMysteriousL
04-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Do Axolotl Count?

Lizard King
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
So I heard there was some scalie appreciation going on

Axelshane
05-07-2014, 02:21 AM
I personally have a few scalie characters here, some of which are two anthropomorphic dragons, three anthropomorphic lizards a gecko and a few scalie type aliens as well. Been a big fan of scalies ever since I joined this fandom. *sniff* It makes my heart proud.

Angellothefox
05-07-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't know weather it is a furry dragon or not.
This dragon has wings and is black and red.
Called Crystal Fire and has appeared once in my art.
A Assburgers dragon obsest with world domination

Lava
05-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Gecko here. I don't know where this "crazy scaly" stereotype came from. Every scaly I've ever met has been nothing but chill.

sassySloth
05-18-2014, 09:28 AM
How about the godfather of all scalies? GOJIRA. I love the design in the new movie. He looks fierce. They also retained some of his goofy proportions from the old movies which is cool.

Zalcoti
05-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Not a furry/scalie/whatever it's called nowadays but I have quite a few reptilian and amphibian characters/species floating around. I absolutely love the weird and extinct reptiles. Not sure if they count as reptiles but pelycosaurs are another favorite group of mine. One of these days I'll buy a lizard.

paroapockinroo
01-16-2015, 01:29 PM
my fursona is a duck-billed dinosaur! Its kinda lonely sometimes hahah, dinos seem to be the most uncommon of scalies in the fandom, and most of them are raptors it seems, not as many herbivores. Also I have a few dragon and dragon-hybrid characters.

feraldraco
05-13-2015, 02:59 AM
I have a sona who is a monitor lizard/crocodile hybrid with a pretty realistic amount of both muscle and fat. His name is Krebbic, and he's ready to throw you out of the ring!

Viciviser
05-13-2015, 08:17 AM
I love the scalie ones! Especially dragons, geckos, and tegus! Argonians and Bangaas are some of my favorite scalie races. Not to mention Kobolds, Lizardmen, and Dragonborn in D&D.
I have a Tokay gecko and a hydra character myself. Been meaning to draw some Bangaa OCs too.
I don't exactly have any scalesonas. On FA, I have Deslucin who is a caracal cat which was "granted" a dragon's soul in the form of a gem which turned his tail draconic and the gem became the tip. He has fur and scales in his full-draconic form, but I've yet to draw that.

My tokay gecko, Eliizer (https://db.tt/emcinqiF)
My hydra, Alastor (https://db.tt/0u26SoYr)

A D&D character I barely got to use: Lizardman Druid, Kirr'Kell and his marsh viper familiar. (https://db.tt/gMyn59Xi)
He's aquatic; the frills on either side of his head are feathery gills.

Hah, it's only now I realize how I've not made any finished art of my reptilian characters.