PDA

View Full Version : Xbox or PS3?

Tiger
01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
I really want a new game console, not interested in the Wii U but very much interested in an Xbox or a PS3.

Is there anything specific why you'd prefer one over the other? Money is important because I'm using all my money from commissions for the console. Is the arcade in Xbox work it, does the PS3 have better online capabilities? And I'm sure there are more things to consider that I haven't listed here.

Most important: Is either one worth the large amount of money?

Ibuuyk
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
PS3. Xbox controllers look weird.

Aden
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
I only have the PS3. Free online play is a nice perk. Much better interface than the xbox dashboard. Other than that, couldn't really say.

Just don't get it if you're really looking forward to playing any Skyrim DLC in the near future

AtomiKamikaze
01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Xbox 360 is the only thing I had, though it RROD'd a few years ago, I had some great times on that playing the older Call of Dutys with my Army friends who were deployed.

That being said, it'd be nice to have a PS3 too, since a lot of good movies coming out are on Blu-Ray as well as the Ratchet and Clank series.

Tiger
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Xbox 360 is the only thing I had, though it RROD'd a few years ago, I had some great times on that playing the older Call of Dutys with my Army friends who were deployed.

That being said, it'd be nice to have a PS3 too, since a lot of good movies coming out are on Blu-Ray as well as the Ratchet and Clank series.

I don't really watch movies, though. I rent movies occasionally or watch them on netflix. And I like the Xbox for minecraft on it. I think feature wise I like Xbox, but the online fee sucks. I would love Halo, but I really really want Saints Row the Third, Hitman, And maybe Assassin's creed. I have games like Skyrim on PC so I don't need it for any other console.

Thistle
01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
If it weren't for owning a Kinect, I'd say they were neck and neck.

Free online play and the BluRay player are big perks for me, when it comes to the PS3. I've also noticed on a few Netflix programs, the videos look a bit sharper. However, with the Xbox, I love being able to use voice commands with the Kinect. I have Netflix playing in the background while I work / do stuff around the house, and it's much easier for me to shout "XBOX, NEXT EPISODE" when I'm elbow deep in dishwater. During the winter months, I also use certain games for exercise, so I appreciate the hands-free nature of the Kinect in that respect, as well.

If you're not interested in the Kinect, though, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. And if you do go with the Xbox, peek at Gold subscription cards on Amazon. They're often discounted there.

Onnes
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Ask yourself this: "If I had this system, what would I do with it?" The best system for you always comes down to what you, and you alone, are interested in actually using it for. If you want a Blu-Ray player, then obviously that is an advantage of the PS3. If any of the online features of the Xbox appeal to you, then that would be a point in its favor. One big thing to do is actually start making a list of games you want to play and the system(s) they are available on.

Both these systems go on sale, so if you want one cheap you should watch for deals. Xbox LIVE Gold codes also get discounted all the time, so if you go with that system and need LIVE then it's a good idea to watch for those too. Whether either is worth the price depends entirely on how much use you'd actually get out of it, which only you can figure out. They aren't that expensive these days so I wouldn't call either an absolute waste of money.

wintergreen skunk
01-24-2013, 05:52 AM
you have soo many options to choose from, it really depends on your style of gaming and other aspects you wish to experience out of a game console.
having both systems and sticking with one. previously owned 2 different xbox360's and they both red-ring'ed to the point that either the video chip cracked or the power supply fried. got a ps3 and its been rocking hardcore for about a year now. one thing i did not enjoy about xbox360 is their constant push for Commercialization always some ad or spam junk that never applied to my interests. don't get me wrong 360was nice with the gears of war and halo titles. but eventually could not deal with the annoying Microsoft marketing. with my ps3 its bare bones 2nd gen system. a nifty perk that i stumbled upon is the open source PS3MediaServer (http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/) that runs on any common OS. allows you to connect your ps3 to your pc. to sum that up, a device or console that supports DLNA. i have yet to try out a way like ps3media server to work on xbox360. oh and one more thing. ps3 will let you swap out the internal hard drive that is 2.5"sata (9.5mm thick). your move Xbox :P

hissora
01-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Honestly, I go with PC, master race, but besides that PS3. Internet account is free, as well as the menu just looks cleaner, it runs smooth, and heck, whenever it came out some guy made a ps3 into a fully functioning grill.

Also if you prefer how the 360 controller feels like I do, you can always buy good cordless not sony brand controllers that have that same shape.

JustinMoore
02-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Go out and get yourself a Playstation 2 and a crapload of games for it. The consoles are $50 barely used and the games rarely exceed $10. And I guarantee you'll find more awesome games for the PS2 than anything the 360 or PS3 has now. ^.=.^

redregon
02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd suggest a PS3... one word.

Journey.