PDA

View Full Version : Rural Rollcall

Tigercougar
01-12-2013, 03:46 AM
I actually do NOT live in the country, but I've always admired those who manage to make it in a small town or out in the boonies. Who amongst our Weasyl-folk is a rural or small town dweller? do you regularly participate in country activities - shooting, hunting and atving come to my mind.

Fay V
01-12-2013, 05:17 AM
What constitutes a small town?

I live in montana near one of the cities (technically in a small town, but eh it's so close it hardly counts.)
I've been to small towns, super small, I got cabin fever out there.

Tigercougar
01-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Hm, I'll say 5,000 or less.

Oly
01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
My town is small AND remote.

~4000 people, unofficially, during winter a bit less I think, during summer a bit more. closest other place is about 100km away.

If I hunted it'd be learning trapping as a survival skill. I don't own a gun. I don't like ATV riding or snowmobiling or anything like that. I do walk in the woods sometimes.

RX-149Dragonite
01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
5,000 or less? Try <200.

Aden
01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Not from a rural area at all. Just wanted to mention that I read your title like the 'robot roll-call' in the MST3K title credits. Carry on

Tiger
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I live in a fairly large city, in a nice little suburb. I'd enjoy to live in a more nature-y area (making my own grammar ftw) like in a forest or by the mountains (went to Colorado in the summer and it was gorgeous!) And Michigan does have a lot of lakes, not just 4 of the great Lakes. My friend's grandmother lives on a lake and it's a wonderful place. But I do like the suburb I live in, so I'm cool with it.

TangoDelahunt
01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I did. I know what it's like to either hunt or catch dinner. Closest town growing up was Macclenny, FL which is small (I think maybe 3K at the most).

Tigercougar
01-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Nope, just checked and Macclenny has over 6000.

PS - WOAH. I didn't realize Jacksonville had 700,000 people! When I visited there as a little girl it seemed so small to me...because I was a little girl. :P

Cani Lupine
01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Lived in a small town called Groveland in California for about 8 years. Only 3,000 people. XD 32 students in my high school graduating class.

I enjoyed getting out and riding trails on my mountain bike the most, as well as target practice with my pellet rifle. Now I'm in a somewhat larger town of about 16,000.

Doki
02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I live in a very small town which has a population of around 1000. It's also in the middle of nowhere and cows out number the people.

I don't really like it much but I have to wait to get my own place before I can move out of this tiny town.

foxyallyx
02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
My in-laws live in Heber Springs, AR. Population is around 3000, except in July. It's got a pretty awesome 4th of July Fireworks show, and the Population almost doubles in the summer because of that. Or Maybe it's 'cause there's an AWESOME lake. OOoooohhh... You should look up the Cardboard Boat Races. That's a big event there.
I used to live there as well, but I had to move away for work. But yes, My in-laws do "country things". My father-in-law loves hunting, fishing, atving, sometimes he'll just go outside and shoot his gun. I miss small towns... city life sucks.

Also, random sidenote about Heber Springs, AR: The Greers Ferry Dam is there. Sounds unimportant, but the last sinificantly noteworthy thing JFK did before his assassination was dedicate that dam. So, kinda cool for history lovers, i guess.

Telvadian Rebel
02-16-2013, 03:24 PM
I live way out in the country where there's lots of farms and hiking trails, and it's awesome. I've never had any desire to live in the city.

Dark
02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I live outside the town of Marmora, with its namesake township clocking in at 4000. The only thing I don't like is how the incumbent ISPs around here couldn't give a shit about you if live out of town. Fucking 3G modems.

RX-149Dragonite
02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
How does having 1000+ people in your townships count as rural? Try 500 or less.

Dark
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM

In Ontario, anything outside of the Great Lakes areas is by definition rural. Just ask Bell and Rogers. Basically anywhere you can't get DSL or cable internet around here is rural, and they don't give a flying fuck. It pisses me off.

Doki
02-16-2013, 10:16 PM

You also have to take into account how large the area is. 1000 people crammed into a small space isn't really rural, but when you have stretches of land and a house here and there it's more so.

RX-149Dragonite
02-16-2013, 11:04 PM
In Ontario, anything outside of the Great Lakes areas is by definition rural. Just ask Bell and Rogers. Basically anywhere you can't get DSL or cable internet around here is rural, and they don't give a flying fuck. It pisses me off.

My township alone has 500 people, and I feel your pain.

Dark
02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
My township alone has 500 people, and I feel your pain.

Do you get gouged by ridiculous overage charges? I do. $15/GB with no ceiling afaik. It's a massive ripoff, especially considering my arbitrary, unnecessary data cap is 15GB.

Yoje
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Used to live in a city of a million+, several years back moved just outside a town of <4000. An hour away from the nearest big city, so not too isolated. Like the peace and quiet, for a while though the only Internet was satellite. Which is better than nothing, but... bleh. Finally able to get DSL (6Mb) about 6 months ago, so happy!

Tigercougar
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people here lived in small towns. I realize there's a difference between a town and truly 'out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere rural,' but I was hoping to cast a wide net with my responses.

So, you folks that live in small communities, do you find that you're particularly close to your neighbors/community? Do you know everyone's business, do you congregate at the store or postal office to talk to people, do you randomly show up at your neighbor's house to talk, with or without baked goods in tow? These are the stereotypes I have always seen associated with small towns.

Pizza Wolf
02-17-2013, 11:32 PM
i grew up about 15 minutes outside a town of about 12,000. small, quiet. I had a swamp for a backyard and behind that there was a cornfield and a crick that was plesantly cool for about 3 months out of the year. we lost alot of legos in that backyard and dug a giant hole that can still be seen today on google earth. we didnt quite make it to china. we shot birds with bb guns.
we also had these giant anthills, think 2 feet wide and 1 foot tall, we blew up a few of those. set off fireworks year round.
the neighbors on the side raised hamburgers and steaks ;D the yard took 8 hours to mow on a lawn tractor
now i live in a small town of about 2,000. i miss living out of town and being able to indulge my expensive shooting hobby more regularly.

just fewer things to worry about IMO

I would love to move back to the middle of nowhere, 15-20 minutes from groceries. i miss the privacy...and my shooting range. also would like a private lake but that would be a bit expensive.

RX-149Dragonite
02-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Do you get gouged by ridiculous overage charges? I do. $15/GB with no ceiling afaik. It's a massive ripoff, especially considering my arbitrary, unnecessary data cap is 15GB.

Yeeeep

Haida
10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Spent most of my time in suburban areas... let me tell you, I do not like being surrounded by all of the noise, the light, the people, the cars... ugh! Currently living in upstate NY where, yeah, there are more cows than people. It isn't a far drive to a city (which in my opinion sucks... I want to be a hermit hahaha). I love being around nature. :3

Yes, I do participate in "country" activities. I have several firearms, run around with rebel flags on my Jeep, play in said Jeep, I do not hunt... but I do not have a need for hunting. We're getting into raising our own meat (this and last year are our first years doing so) and it is a hard but exciting life. I wouldn't go back to living in a city for anything, huhuhuhu.

That being said, I hate country music and seriously dislike the "cowboy" style that seems to be so popular these days. My hubby and I consider ourselves "homesteaders" to give you a better idea. :3

coyttl
10-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Huh, how'd I miss this thread before?

I LOVE remote areas. Keep me away from the hustle and bustle, and give me old remote farms, and neighbors who know each other. I currently live in a small town, but luckily live within a short stone-throw away from a huge metropolitan city, so in case I ever need something that my town doesn't have, I can still get to. My closest neighbors are over 1000ft away - no cookie-cutter homes here. :)

Melty Cat
10-28-2013, 07:36 PM
I live in a small town smack bang in the middle of the UK in the county of Derbyshire. Lots of fields, green spaces, hills, valleys and such. Right on the edge of the Peak District National Park.

spinout87
11-16-2013, 02:56 AM
I live in Clarion, Iowa. Its a little under 3000 people. Personally I have always like living in small towns. Lived in Norfolk, virginia for four and a half years and didnt like it that much.

SolidSpy24
12-18-2013, 07:13 AM
I remember when I used to live in the State of Vermont, and it was incredible. I live in the suburbs now :p.