PDA

View Full Version : Whelp, technology hates me

Ibuuyk
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Okay, I've gotten my new computer the day before yesterday but the Curse followed me and I'm having trouble.

I'm on Windows 8 (gonna switch to Windows 7 once I come back from vacation because 8 is complete garbage). When I try to restart, it shuts down fine but then when it turns back on, it just freezes and stays on a black screen forever so I have to shut it down manually and turn it back on. Task Manager doesn't work (as in I can't end processes). Java crashes all the time. Trillian doesn't work so I had to switch to Skype. Avira Antivir doesn't work right.

And the most important of all, the computer came with this annoying little Trojan called JS/Redirect.CH and I just can't seem to get rid of it since every guide about it on the Internet is either on Windows XP or 7.

#FML

Tiger
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
What kind of computer? Did you buy it new or refurbished? Where did you get it from?

Ibuuyk
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
It's a brand new computer from Dell. I know they're terrible but they're the only one who do monthly payments so I had no choice.

Taw
01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
You got a trojan after a day of using it?

Did you bring files off an infected drive? Or was that from the web?

You should use noscript and adblock plus extensions on your browser(s) when surfing the web and look at getting some free anti-virus software.

You can either look into getting rid of this pesky virus yourself (google: "js/redirect.ch" removal and there should be some listed programs to get rid of it) or you could do a fresh windows install and just start over.

Best advice I can offer, really. Try not to browse the net without those extensions though at the very least; they definitely help get rid of annoying popups/ads and reduce the chances of a harmful script on an ad/website downloading stuff onto your computer without you noticing.

Onnes
01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
If you actually bought this thing from Dell themselves then you almost certainly brought over an infected file from somewhere else. You can probably get the trojan off most effectively by using a rescue cd/usb, like the one AVG provides for free. (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd) If it can get an internet connection then it will even auto-update its definitions once you boot into it.

Beyond that, though, you bought a Dell, so wiping out most of the pre-installed programs is damn near mandatory anyway. Without doing a full format and fresh install, you can try using PC Decrapifier (http://pcdecrapifier.com/download) to remove everything. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure how newer Dells handle OS installs, especially with how Windows 8 changes the handling of OEM licenses. You would probably need to download a program that can read your product key and then make sure you get an OS image that matches whatever came with your Dell. You may be able to request a clean install CD from Dell, but you can assume all recovery options included with your PC will just restore everything to the state it shipped in. Don't try any sort of non-Dell install without having a means of recovering everything in case of failure.

Ibuuyk
01-11-2013, 09:54 PM
You got a trojan after a day of using it?

Did you bring files off an infected drive? Or was that from the web?

You should use noscript and adblock plus extensions on your browser(s) when surfing the web and look at getting some free anti-virus software.

You can either look into getting rid of this pesky virus yourself (google: "js/redirect.ch" removal and there should be some listed programs to get rid of it) or you could do a fresh windows install and just start over.

Best advice I can offer, really. Try not to browse the net without those extensions though at the very least; they definitely help get rid of annoying popups/ads and reduce the chances of a harmful script on an ad/website downloading stuff onto your computer without you noticing.

I use adblocker plus but not noscript, and I've had the trojan since the start. Also I've already tried searching Google but all the guides about that trojan are on either XP or 7, and it's nasty enough to require manual removal.

If you actually bought this thing from Dell themselves then you almost certainly brought over an infected file from somewhere else. You can probably get the trojan off most effectively by using a rescue cd/usb, like the one AVG provides for free. (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd) If it can get an internet connection then it will even auto-update its definitions once you boot into it.

Beyond that, though, you bought a Dell, so wiping out most of the pre-installed programs is damn near mandatory anyway. Without doing a full format and fresh install, you can try using PC Decrapifier (http://pcdecrapifier.com/download) to remove everything. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure how newer Dells handle OS installs, especially with how Windows 8 changes the handling of OEM licenses. You would probably need to download a program that can read your product key and then make sure you get an OS image that matches whatever came with your Dell. You may be able to request a clean install CD from Dell, but you can assume all recovery options included with your PC will just restore everything to the state it shipped in. Don't try any sort of non-Dell install without having a means of recovering everything in case of failure.

My mom's place has shitty Internet so downloading stuff bigger than 100mb is pretty much outta the way. Also I've already tried contacting Dell to try and fix the issue but their customer support is complete shit like everything they do so it's useless. For example, before I bought the computer I told the seller I wanted Windows 7 instead of 8 so she told me that if I bought the premium warranty (40$ extra), I'd have it for free but that it was against company policy to ship CDs or install stuff on their computers, so she told me that once I received my computer, I'd have to phone their tech support and that they'd install it via phone (wat). I was juuuust a little bit cynical since how the Hell would you install Windows 7 via a phone, but hey, technology evolves fast so I gave 'em a chance. (on a side note, the computer was 1299$ with 300$ off since it was Boxing Day, and that included a 23'' monitor. But instead of 999$ with taxes, she charged the monitor as a whole different order so they shipped it like a week later, I still haven't received it and they charged me 135$ for it. Oh and the video card they announced came with the computer wasn't the one that actually came with it)

Anyway, once I got my computer, I phoned the tech support and they told me the seller had said bullshit, that what was free with the premium warranty wasn't Windows 7 but the installation (AKA I need to get my own CD, then if I don't know how to read or something, I phone 'em and they tell me that I need to click the Next button and wait a couple hours while it installs).

TL;DR: Dell is the biggest fraud and piece of shit, nothing they ever do is done right, it can't be fixed but they're sadly the only ones who offer what every computer place should offer, monthly payments. They get super rich with the despair of people.