PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS2 Released For Free

SidFishes
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Holy nuts, guys. So this link ended up on my tumblr, and for once it didn't just lead to pictures of penises which is what I've become accustomed to on tumblr. Adobe, in a bizarrely good natured mood has made the ENTIRE CS2 suite available for free download. Which means free Photoshop for ya'll using Gimp out there.

They were kind enough to split up the suite and allow you to cherry pick the programs you want, which is why I'm snagging me some Illustrator, InDesign, and Priemere Pro as we speak.

I think you need to make an Adobe ID (which is free), I'm not sure. I made one, but it hasn't prompted me to use it yet. I'll keep you posted if it comes up. Downloads have the serials next to them, so happy making stuff.

Aden
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
That is...the last thing I expected from a company like Adobe

But that's pretty awesome! Using legit software feels nice. I may or may not have a less-than-upstanding copy of cs4, but if I did, I would uninstall it and replace it with this

SidFishes
01-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Right, so I've got all three things installed, they all work, and you don't need the Adobe ID as far as I can tell.

Way to be a good guy, Adobe.

Aden
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
All indications point towards this being a mistake on Adobe's part. Makes sense; not like they'd intentionally gut their Elements line (or demolish the entire market for lower-end painting/photomanip apps). The big question is, what are they going to do about it? Do they let it continue and wreak chaos, or do they shut down all the issued licenses and risk a PR nightmare?

Onnes
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Legally speaking, this download does not include a license and you can't legitimately use it unless you have purchased a license. This means that if any business tries to use this in production, and Adobe find outs, that business is going to get hit by unimaginable legal costs. The additional subtext to this is Adobe already assumes damn near everyone pirates their software for personal use.

This is actually wholly consistent with Adobe's effective product strategy, if not necessarily their typical messaging. Off the record, Adobe executives have flat-out said they more or less tolerate piracy by personal users because that part of the market has low potential profits, whereas widespread usage and familiarity helps them keep a hold on their market dominance. Or to put it another way, pretty much every younger professional now using a licensed Adobe product probably got their start with an illegitimate copy. They are also making a bet here that CS2 is old enough at this point so as to not be highly competitive with their more recent releases. I have no idea whether or not that is true in practice.