PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] Another subsection for the art section of this forum?

FishNChips
07-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Hello again, admin people and things. :>

Recently I created a sort of "art game"-type thread in the fandoms section. The only art section I could have put it in would be critiques, requests/trades, and commissions, none of those suited the thread I made. I was thinking, would it be a good idea to make a new section in the art part of the forum specifically for art-related fun? My art game (practising together) and the other thread someone else made (art introductions) would be the kind of threads we'd see in there.

The particular section would be a great excuse for people to try out all sorts of different things, such as trying particular themes or doing art of tv shows or games or movies in threads dedicated to them. We'd have stuff like a "draw the poster above you" thread, a wild west thread, a sci-fi thread, a Team Fortress 2 thread, a MLP:FiM thread, a "draw your character dancing" thread, and so on.

I feel it would be good to have this section as Weasyl is an art community, and this section could be a great way for artists to get together and have fun in a dedicated place where they all come together, rather than being more or less completely split up on the soon-to-be mainsite with the obscurity of their galleries getting in the way. I suggested this over at FAF, but it was denied as there was little traffic in its art section anyway - which I believe is a fault of not encouraging artists to join in in the first place due to the lack of fun things to do, which is something Weasyl could do differently. C:

Kitten
07-28-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm torn between requesting a forum to post one's art and stuff in (since that would end up just being a ton of posts by people not really interested in the forum and just trying to boost their Weasyl profile's views, which would be accessible to users of this forum anyway via the main art site) and requesting a games forum (since those tend to get filled with spammy crap pretty quickly but would promote more fun, interactive threads for the forum that don't necessarily fit in other places). I guess if you were to do it like some really large forums tend to and moderate the games section heavily (locking spammy threads and promoting ones that can be fun, like an MSPaint Adventure deal, the art game thread that you made, or something of that nature). Then again, if it were to be heavily modded it might end up not being used much at all and only take up space on the front page, serving no real purpose.

I think it might be better to leave stuff like that to the forums that already exist, whichever the thread should relate to. Just my two cents.

FishNChips
07-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Ah, but with that logic, wouldn't the spammy crap be filling up the completely wrong section and burying discussion threads under game threads? That's why the games section would be beneficial.

Traditional forum games sounds like they can be awfully spammy, but art ones, not so much unless people are using primarily MSpaint stick figures (which IIRC, are not quite allowed on this site due to being far too minimalist. Or was that FA?).

If images are embedded into posts in the art games like they already have been so far, it can't do anything for anyone's views. In fact, we have an art critiques and tutorial section, as well as trades and requests and commissions. People are going to be looking in those and people posting art will have their Weasyl IDs attached to them, and if someone likes what they're posting, they're inevitably going to get more gallery views. Should we lock down those sections, then? Of course not.

Obviously we'd expect the mods to get rid of threads that are nothing but "lol look at my gallery" as well as posts filled with NSFW material. As long as people are following some basic rules, there's not likely to be a problem at all, it may only need just a little bit of moderating, if any. If there really is a problem, it could be possible for Weasyl admins to create a new user group, that being volunteer moderators who are in charge of the art games section, and nothing but the art games section. That is, of course, if it becomes extremely active.

Fiz
07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I think an art games sub-forum would be neat and fun, but I don't know if it would get used often enough to warrant a section on its own. Perhaps a "Forum Games" forum instead.

Not a particular fan of forum games myself but I remember them being fun when I was a teen. Just gotta make sure it doesn't increase post count, if we do implement one, because apparently trying to rack up your post count is still a thing nowadays.

FishNChips
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I think an art games sub-forum would be neat and fun, but I don't know if it would get used often enough to warrant a section on its own. Perhaps a "Forum Games" forum instead.

Not a particular fan of forum games myself but I remember them being fun when I was a teen. Just gotta make sure it doesn't increase post count, if we do implement one, because apparently trying to rack up your post count is still a thing nowadays.

Mmm, gotcha. Though while I understand your concern, I believe that nobody here can really say for sure about what it'd be like. I personally think that it'd be best to at least try it, even if it's just for a little while. It's still early days for Weasyl, no? :> In fact, if this were my site I'd be more wary about adding an RP section than a creative games section, but that's just me.

Taw
07-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I'll discuss this with Eminoxic and we'll look into what we can do.

If we do make a Forum Games section, keep in mind it will not raise Post Counts though.

FishNChips
07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I'll discuss this with Eminoxic and we'll look into what we can do.

If we do make a Forum Games section, keep in mind it will not raise Post Counts though.

Great, thank you!

And disabling post increases sounds like a good idea. If one's attempts at posting merely for the +1 never work, then why bother?

Kitten
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
For delicious, digital validation via a single increasing number.