PDA

View Full Version : Entirely new kind of literature submission

foxboyprower
12-19-2012, 02:42 AM
As the title gives away, this is a suggestion for a new kind of literature story. I've never seen this on DA or FA. It's an amazing and interesting thing I found here (http://www.writing.com/). This website has a kind of literature submission called "Interactive stories". Have you ever seen a choose your own adventure story? That's basically what this is. It starts with one segment and has choices the author can write segments for as well. The story expands like a tree (http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/tree.png). If you're even a bit curious about this idea, make a quick account on writing.com (http://www.writing.com/) and try looking through one of these interactive stories and how they're organized. I can't possibly explain everything about how it works.
Now this sounds like a lot of work for the author to flesh out this huge interactive story tree, but don't worry. This is an interactive story in more ways than one. Each interactive story, by default, allows the reader to write their own segment when they reach a terminal node in the story tree. Their username will be shown on that segment so readers know who wrote which segment. These stories can become huge collaborative efforts and it's pretty cool to see the results. Of course the author still maintains control of the story. If they don't like a segment that was added, they can remove it or just edit it if they want to clean up the details a bit. If it's a project they want to work on alone, they can change the settings so only they can add new segments to the story.
It's really cool how popular these stories are over on the site. I've never seen another place do something like this, so the results would be interesting.
Of course this is an idea that can be put off for quite a while. It's not a priority by any means, but I hope it's something to think about at least.

I'd love to hear what people think about this idea.

NamelessTraveler
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I remember reading an interactive story for Pokemon that Nintendo actually wrote, and it kept me entertained for HOURS! I would love to read some more of these, and I think that it should totally be a category for submissions; its really awesome that you'd have the option to turn a sort of collaboration thing on with it, you totally have my support! :D

foxboyprower
01-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks. It's amazing to see what people can do with that kind of tool. It's something a community or group of friends can do together which is great for an art site.

I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but if starting a new interactive story was made a premium feature, that would be a really cool incentive for users to support the site. I'm not loaded with money, it's quite the opposite. If this was in place, I would definitely save up for a premium user account thing.
Of course in this situation, non paying site users can add to the story all they want. The ability to start a new story is the only thing that would require a premium account. Of course this is just an idea.

NamelessTraveler
01-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Hmm, I think that would be a great idea, not only would it be an instinctive for people to get a premium account like you said, but it would also kind of... I don't know how to explain it... Make people respect it more and not make unnecessary "gag" stories? (I can imagine this feature being kind of hard to pull off, and depending on the length of the story, pretty sizable)