PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad: You're A Blowfish, Jesse!

Ben
07-27-2012, 06:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AF07K.jpg

Breaking Bad is a show starring Bryan Cranston (aka The Dad from Malcolm in the Middle) where he plays Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who turns to cooking meth, after he discovers he has cancer, and possibly a short time to live. He's aided by his former student, Jesse Pinkman, all while having to lie circles around his family, including his brother-in-law, a high-class DEA Agent. Of course, this is just a general synopsis, and if you're in this thread, you probably know that much. If not, then be warned that much of what will be in this thread will be spoilers. However, if anyone is discussing things that have not yet happened, they are required to surround them with [spoiler] tags. Otherwise, it's not necessary.

Breaking Bad is currently in its fifth and final season as of a couple weeks ago, and tensions are certainly increasing, as it becomes evident that the lengths Walt will go to in order to protect himself are getting far more serious, whether it be endangering loved ones of others close to him, or emotional manipulation. This thread can be used for both analyzing the season/show up to this point, and for live discussion during new episodes (which air at Sundays at 10/9 central on AMC).

Happy discussing, folks!

ZeroTime
08-04-2012, 05:37 PM
This show is awesome I wish I knew Walter he probably gives good deals

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
This show is awesome I wish I knew Walter he probably gives good deals

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

Ben
08-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Okay, so two episodes have come and gone since this thread was started, and Oh my god Skyler. I could tell as soon as she started lingering around the pool that she was going to try and drown herself (although obviously that wasn't her ultimate intent). I have to wonder how exactly Lydia got to be in such an important position with all her neurotic tendencies, but she's a fun character to watch nonetheless, and I enjoy her addition to the cast.

Also, the awkwardness of Walt and Brock being around each other was terrific. I can only imagine what's going to happen when Jessie learns that Walt's been manipulating him this whole time, because hoooly shit. Holy shit. This show. Goddamn.

Taw
08-06-2012, 04:25 AM
I'm still wondering how the beginning of Season 5 is going to tie in with everything. I'm thinking it's going to do with the second half airing in 2013 though and that this half of the season will just be the events that lead up to that perhaps.

Or maybe it all leads up to it, I guess we'll see.

Sinjo
08-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I haven't seen past season four.

:<

Ben
08-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen past season four.

:<

Well! This is the only season past season four, so I'd suggest go getting caught up on the 4 episodes that already aired of this chunk.

I'm still wondering how the beginning of Season 5 is going to tie in with everything. I'm thinking it's going to do with the second half airing in 2013 though and that this half of the season will just be the events that lead up to that perhaps.

It took me a minute to realize you meant the scene in New Hampshire. My inkling is that it'll turn out that the people Mike is paying to keep quiet are going to be killed after all, and Walt goes around the country personally to off each one. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me at the moment.

Sinjo
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Well! This is the only season past season four, so I'd suggest go getting caught up on the 4 episodes that already aired of this chunk.

Don't have cable or sat. I only watch whatever pops up through netflix.

Ben
08-13-2012, 01:09 AM
So this thread is pretty dead, but I'll give this another go:

This episode. Holy shite. What gets me is that Walt is sort of responsible for the kid getting shot, since he super-double stressed that no one could ever know that they were there. It's a little scary to see how far gone Todd is that he would shoot the kid, but shit, at least he thought about it I guess? Actually no, the fact that he thought about it and went "Yeah, the kid needs to die" makes it worse. I just kept sitting there wondering "okay, what's going to be the thing that sends this whole heist awry?" And bam.

The heist scene was fucking tense and clever as hell though. The fact that Jessie has been the voice of reason a lot lately has been fantastic, and I love that Hank is the clearly identifiable protagonist now, and Walt is the antagonist. It's a rather fascinating dynamic-- Although Walt being in New Hampshire in the first scene of the season makes me wonder if Hank figures it out, and what happened if he did.

HBICxxHeadBitchInChargexx
08-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Breaking Bad is a show about women that are all bitches.

I for one am highly offended by the level of misogyny present.

Not one of them is likable even though most of them are bangable.

Ben
08-22-2012, 05:07 PM
BB could likely benefit from some stronger female characters instead of the all-male superteam that we have, but I wouldn't call them unlikable. Lydia is very schizo, but I enjoy the humour she brings to the show, I certainly don't disagree with the massive levels of hate Skylar has obtained (I mean really, Walt has turned into a full-blown sociopath, I would be afraid of him too) and Marie is certainly the least likeable of the three, but she does care a lot about her family, and I don't want to see her die by any means. Perhaps that's just me though.

Ten
08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't think Misogyny has any place in this show. Everyone is simply reacting how one would react in all of these situations. Lydia is trying to NOT DIE, and she doesn't want her daughter to think her mother abandoned her. Skylar is flipping shit because she didn't know her cancer ridden husband would become a drug kingpin. Pretty reasonable reactions. Marie is a clepto... that's really all she has going for her, but it shows her in an awesome career field. She's not stuck to the house like some "STAY IN THE KITCHEN" situation, she has a respectable job and presumably makes a hefty chunk of cash doing so. None of the women in this show are portrayed as less than equals, they're all equals in an unfavorable situation. Prove me wrong.

edit: (this is not directed at you Ben lol)

Ben
08-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Haha, don't worry, I could tell. But yes, I agree with your post entirely.

I'm also wondering what Walt's solution for everyone is. Is he going to sell all the meth to the competition, assassinate the kingpin and then take over? One can only wonder. Either way, I'm eager to see how Walt ends up in New Hampshire.

Also, this was posted today on Aaron Paul (Jessie)'s twitter with the tagling "Breaking Bad movie coming next Summer!"

https://p.twimg.com/A1AAr34CMAE4B8t.jpg

Precious.

HBICxxHeadBitchInChargexx
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
the massive levels of hate Skylar has obtained

"You have reason to believe that your husband has been selling marijuana. Do you:

A. Buy some
B. Ask him to maybe not do that so much maybe
C. Bone some businessmen"

Oly
08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
BEST FUCKING SHOW ON TV.

I missed last weeks episode, I will probably see it in a day or two. God, those bastards keeping the second half until next years... THOSE TEASES!

About Skylar: it seems most of the people i've seen really hardcore hating on her, are the ones who think Walt is a stand-up guy and just want him to kill more people and cook more meth and never get his comeuppance.

Morphology
09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
BEST FUCKING SHOW ON TV.

I missed last weeks episode, I will probably see it in a day or two. God, those bastards keeping the second half until next years... THOSE TEASES!

About Skylar: it seems most of the people i've seen really hardcore hating on her, are the ones who think Walt is a stand-up guy and just want him to kill more people and cook more meth and never get his comeuppance.

Walt terrifies me, which is great, because you don't really get characters that draw such an emotional reaction in most television. And Skylar acts how a person would probably act if you were living under the thumb of a control-obsessed megalomaniac.

Ben
09-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow I phrased that Skylar statement wrong. I meant I don't agree with the massive levels of hate Skylar has obtained-- I don't know how that came out differently. Words, words, words.

It's funny though. Now that Walt finally realized that all that money isn't worth fighting for, and Skylar finally said "Please, end this," I actually don't want Hank to bone Walt in the ass anymore, because he snapped out of it. Then again, I think most of us forget the very real fact that every day, Walter White inadvertently ruins thousands of new lives by turning them into junkies. We only ever think about the people he's killed, directly or indirectly (remember the plane crash?), but really, his victim list far surpasses that.

But of course, if Walt had just been a Weed dealer, that wouldn't have been nearly as interesting a premise. So. Whoops.

PS the Hank reveal was fucking great, and I am going to die waiting until next Summer for the last eight episodes. God dammit BB.

Term
09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
So I didn't bother reading through the thread because I'm sure there are spoilers.

In any case after much prodding from pretty much every media avenue I keep up with or am an active member of, I decided to start watching episodes from my Netflix.

Holy shit this is a great show. I almost wish I had more time to just sit down and watch it all the way through in one sitting. But I figure if I space it out enough I won't have to wait too long for the upcoming part 2 of season 5.

I can see why it's gotten as many Emmy nominations as it has.

Ben
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
So I didn't bother reading through the thread because I'm sure there are spoilers.

In any case after much prodding from pretty much every media avenue I keep up with or am an active member of, I decided to start watching episodes from my Netflix.

Holy shit this is a great show. I almost wish I had more time to just sit down and watch it all the way through in one sitting. But I figure if I space it out enough I won't have to wait too long for the upcoming part 2 of season 5.

I can see why it's gotten as many Emmy nominations as it has.

Not to mention you won't be able to access Season 5 Part 1 through legal means until a few days before the premiere next summer.

But yeah, if you watch one episode a week, you'll be plenty good come July (although it might be a tad hard to resist).

Thestory
09-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Breaking Bad is a show about women that are all bitches.

I for one am highly offended by the level of misogyny present.

Not one of them is likable even though most of them are bangable.

None of the people in the show are likable. The men are just as despicable. I feel the terrible flaws and personalities are equally spread about. I don't see any reason why the female characters should be exceptionally likable when all the male characters aren't either.

I actually like that about the show, though throughout the series it is clear Walter's corruption and personality is the worst and by far the most unlikable. So much so that he makes all those around him worse for it. Not that it necessarily makes him a bad character. Bad people don't always mean bad characters and in this situation it adds a great deal of interest.

On another note, I am very curious about how it will end. Depending on its finale I will either hail this as one of the greater series or be severely disappointed. Walter needs his just deserts.

Oly
09-30-2012, 05:46 AM
My guess is a gunfight at or very close to the end between Hank and Walt. Beyond that, NO clue.

I am guessing that the opening of the season is closer to the end of the season chronologically, though, whereas I've seen many people assume the beginning of part 2 will pick up there; that doesn't make sense to me, if it does it'll certainly jump back again as there's jsut too much blank time between Walt quitting, Hank's discovery, and the diner/LMG scene.

Aetius
10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I just started watching the series, and HOLY FUCK IS IT GREAT!

Ghost
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I blew through the first four seasons on netflix in like 2 weeks and then when someone told me they were continuing it, I about had a heart attack. This series is just too good.

Kitten
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I picked up the series on a whim and fell in love with it instantly. It's one of the most tense and well-written shows I've ever watched. 10/10 definitely recommend it, dang.

ali
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
i'm currently on season 2, just started watching not even a week ago. i am totally addicted.

and i also really hate skyler most of the time. sometimes i can enjoy her but as a whole... no