PDA

View Full Version : art and language

saracide
11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
i've noticed something and i'm wondering if anybody else experiences it, so let me know if you go thru this too.

if i've been drawing for a while, it's more difficult to talk for a while after. i know drawing happens on one side of the brain and speech happens on the other so it kinda makes sense.

i can still talk but if i've been drawing for a while i have to slow down and really think about what i'm trying to say or it all comes out as a jumbled mess and i seem stupid. :notworthy:

like, i went to say "harness" and it came out "hearse" i can't remember all of what i tried to say but i butchered it so bad, this was right after i'd been drawing for at least an hour.

Taelune
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't know, but it could make sense, I mean I've been drawing all my life, when I was still in school I'd push out at least 15 full page sketches a day, and I have terrible language skills when talking, but am pretty decent when writing. I tend to have a similar issue too, but a few others as well. :3 I slur my words together, stutter sometimes (especially when I'm flustered or excited, but sometimes when I'm calm), and I also switch letters in my words sometimes for instance I'll say " Raskin Bobbins" instead of "Baskin Robins" or even get as bad as say "Saskin Bobins" if I'm have a really bad day. xD then again I also speak very fast, and tend to have to slow down what I'm saying for someone who doesn't know me very well.

Doki
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
i've noticed something and i'm wondering if anybody else experiences it, so let me know if you go thru this too.

if i've been drawing for a while, it's more difficult to talk for a while after. i know drawing happens on one side of the brain and speech happens on the other so it kinda makes sense.

i can still talk but if i've been drawing for a while i have to slow down and really think about what i'm trying to say or it all comes out as a jumbled mess and i seem stupid. :notworthy:

like, i went to say "harness" and it came out "hearse" i can't remember all of what i tried to say but i butchered it so bad, this was right after i'd been drawing for at least an hour.

I've noticed that too. It's so weird and it doesn't help that I live with someone who has English as a second language.

Although now I find it a whole lot easier to convay what I'm saying through being a bit more expressive. It's an odd way but now my friends understand what I mean by my hand motions.

saracide
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
ah, thanks for the feedback. nice responses.

i feel a lot like you Taelune, i struggle with talking just like you but i write pretty well.

Kasune
12-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Good to know I'm not alone. I get very focused when I do my art, and afterward it takes a moment or two to recollect my thoughts and properly express what's on my mind through verbal communication. In writing, though, I've never had an issue putting my thoughts down.

Formicidae
02-18-2013, 02:59 AM
I haven't noticed in speaking, but I have in listening. Basically I have one group in skype for gaming WoW and another full of furries, including a couple of 10-12yo. When i draw I will also talk to one of the groups, since I get lonely kinda fast.

If I talk to the WoW group I won't speak as I draw and aren't gaming with them, but I really hear scrambled words and have to ask "did you really say I'mma get my pasta", to which they usually die laughing and say something about in game related spells/mounts/quests etc. With the other group though... I talk constantly while drawing, and we have a blast. They talk about their day, me about the drawing, then they about the drawing (screen-share), we do get really bad humor though, lately it's about a "monkey-leg", they even went as far as making a song dedicated to how great the monkey-leg is.

Btw, English is not my first language, I learned it when I was about 7'ish from discovery channel, so have always loved languages. Currently learning Japanese and latin. From Norway and my BF is from Poland XD so a lot of language going on :3 (I usually draw with the right hand, but I've practiced a lot with the left one, and I seem to be better at technical drawings with my left hand, and emotive drawing with my right :D )

Inq
02-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Not so much here, I think I end up a bit more talkative even, as drawing puts my mind at ease whilst giving me a specific subject to think about and get excited over. It's usually when I'm out of a creative space that I get a fair bit harder to talk to, sometimes I just end up introverting, thinking about what I'll work on when I get home or when I get the chance to pull out a sketchbook.
If I'm not constantly engaged it's a hard train of thought to break and I end up taking a while to respond to anything or slurring pretty badly.
Though generally I've never been the best at expressing myself verbally, writing or otherwise. :P

Tigercougar
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Not for me. My setup is in the living room so while I'm drawing I'll back and forth converse with my boyfriend who sits on the sofa.

WhiteFox1618
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I've found that after I've been writing critique or comic scripts, I have a really hard time getting into drawing. Whichever I start doing first, I usually end up doing it all day long.

Gaming... well, that's a whole 'nother story. Adrenalin kills fine motor control, and dopamine shuts down the prefrontal cortex. Neither is particularly good for arting.

Taesolieroy
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I've not personally noticed an issue between talking versus arting, but listening kind of dims down. If someone is talking a lot or very fast I usually find myself going, "... what?"

The other problem is if I get into art, everything else seems to block out unless I make the mental effort to split attention, and pulling out is hard. Getting back in after say, answering someone's question on Skype, is even harder and tends to lead to irritableness when I get shot with multiple questions that have just enough time between where I think I can get back into arting.

I guess in summary the issues people have socially after doing art varies on the individual's capabilities?

Doki
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I've not personally noticed an issue between talking versus arting, but listening kind of dims down. If someone is talking a lot or very fast I usually find myself going, "... what?"

The other problem is if I get into art, everything else seems to block out unless I make the mental effort to split attention, and pulling out is hard. Getting back in after say, answering someone's question on Skype, is even harder and tends to lead to irritableness when I get shot with multiple questions that have just enough time between where I think I can get back into arting.

I guess in summary the issues people have socially after doing art varies on the individual's capabilities?

I guess but it just seems odd how some people tend to have a decrease in verbal or hearing abilities after doing something creative or as tedious as drawing.

I think its natural for people to block out everything when they're doing something that requires concentration. I feel like that happens a lot when people are reading or driving.

Tigercougar
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Btw, this whole issue comes up because doing art works the right side of your brain, which is intuitive and nonverbal. It takes a moment to shift back to your left, rational, talking brain.