PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Questions!

OnyxSerpent
07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
I have a couple of quick questions for you guys. Hope this is the right place to put 'em. :P

I was poking around and saw some people are currently listed as Ferrets in the member groups... I mean, I know there isn't anything to really ferret at the moment, but were there apps posted at some point? I don't remember seeing them, and I'd love to take a peek and possibly apply. Or is that just people testing stuff? In which case I will just shut up and be patient. XD

Also, I was also wondering how the mature content stuff would be dealt with. Would it be a 'harsh" rating block -- aka you don't want to see all teh pr0nz, so you turn things down a notch/block tags/whatever, and you can't see those images on the front page or even if you are given the URL like FA does? Or would it be more like Nabyn/DA (or at least old DA, I dunno how they do it now), where you'd see a warning like "Are you sure you want to see this, it contains SEX/GORE/some keyword you don't want to see!"? Some mix or choice between the two might be nice, but heck if I know how hard that is to program. Of course, I might have missed this info entirely when browsing, so just point me in the right direction if so. :D

Taw
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I can answer the first question for you, but the second half I would have to double check with Kihari so I'll leave that to someone else to answer (I wont be home for a few hours so it's hard for me to go and check with 'em right now).

The current members that are in the Ferret group are the ones the Department of Ferret Affairs selected to be the Beta Ferrets, so they can test it out and give us feedback and such when we get the mainsite Ferret stuff working and such. I accidentally left the Staff App thing open during the forum release, but it's currently disabled; the application questions need updating to the proper ones which we've settled on, though we currently aren't looking to open applications for new Ferrets right now.

There will be an announcement when the Ferret applications open up for people, but that wont be for a while yet. :3

Shane
07-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey, thanks for answering Taw. I was wondering the same about the Ferrets too.

OnyxSerpent
07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Alrighty. :D Thanks, that makes sense! Looking forward to when the apps are opened for real.

Kihari
07-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Also, I was also wondering how the mature content stuff would be dealt with. Would it be a 'harsh" rating block -- aka you don't want to see all teh pr0nz, so you turn things down a notch/block tags/whatever, and you can't see those images on the front page or even if you are given the URL like FA does? Or would it be more like Nabyn/DA (or at least old DA, I dunno how they do it now), where you'd see a warning like "Are you sure you want to see this, it contains SEX/GORE/some keyword you don't want to see!"? Some mix or choice between the two might be nice, but heck if I know how hard that is to program. Of course, I might have missed this info entirely when browsing, so just point me in the right direction if so. :D

I'm not familiar with DA or Nabyn, but the way it currently works when you hit a submission page that exceeds your rating is that it tells you the submission is rated higher than your settings allow (this cannot be overridden, since some users may be set to lower ratings due to their age); submissions with blocked keywords also tell you what's up, but they provide a link that allows you to override the filter and view the submission anyway. We felt this was important because if one were just provided a link to a submission / character / journal somewhere, there wouldn't really know what they were clicking on, so there should be a warning first before the content is displayed.

As far as browsing the front page and galleries and so on, content that exceeds your rating settings or contains blocked filters just doesn't show up at all. I wanted to have the choice between not showing it and showing a blank thumbnail or somesuch, but only went with the one option due to time constraints; perhaps this is something we could reconsider in the future though. =P

OnyxSerpent
07-27-2012, 03:57 PM
That sounds like a pretty good compromise, especially to start. :D Awesome! Thank you.