PDA

View Full Version : Evafans preparing for the 3rd impact

Uini
11-18-2012, 04:42 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbayhuhe9A1rcdtdco10_r4_1280.jpg

C'mon I know there's gotta be a few guys here who keeps up with Evangelion. Lets start with a subbed 3.0 preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnigpyCYHOc#t=0s

And let me know how excited you are for this. Or how much you like Evangelion in general.

RX-149Dragonite
11-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Something tells me you lurk /a/, or at least /m/

Either way, I'm gonna get into Eva soon. I'm gonna watch the TV series first, of course, and then wait till the movies are completely out an done, unless old man Anno decides to keep going till Eva 9999.99: These movies will (not) end

Uini
11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Well for the current movie series (rebuild) there's only going to be 4. It's best you check out the old stuff as well to get a feel of what's happening.

Aokamidu
11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Ah, it's good to see other Eva fans on here. Admittedly, I got into the series very late compared to most anime fans (2010 onwards) but I do love the series very much, chiefly for its sound design, full-orchestral soundtrack, stylistic screenplay and editing (both TV series and Rebuild) but also for the quality of art and animation they put into the Rebuild series, especially with the additional scenes in 2.2, You Can (Not) Advance. And for me personally, it was refreshing to see vulnerable characters struggle and cope with the lot they'd been given (though, it was sad that the original series went over-budget and had to cut corners, and Anno suffered deeply from depression halfway through production).

So, as you can tell, I'm very excited to see what 3.3. has to offer, especially as Third Impact and The Promised Time will likely feature a lot of new material that the original series did not have the opportunity to cover (like Asuka's survival and looking mentally stable this time; Kaoru's self-awareness, i.e. "THIS time, I WILL make you happy, Shinji", and of course, Marisa's role in all this)

Reading the encouraging numbers for the Japanese cinematic release last weekend (http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-11-19/evangelion/3.0-earns-japan-highest-weekend-box-office-of-2012) and rumours Funimation are shooting for a Q1 2013 dub release (mind you, Mike McFarland's enthusiasm and the positive American reception will helpfully secure a not-too-long delay) make the wait more agonising, but it'll be worth it. At least, I think so anyway.

Vine
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Spoilers: Kaworu is gay for Shinji and dies.

RX-149Dragonite
11-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Spoilers: Kaworu is gay for Shinji and dies.

How is that a spoiler? I thought that was always true.

Vine
11-20-2012, 05:53 AM
How is that a spoiler? I thought that was always true.

Yes, that's the joke.

RX-149Dragonite
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Gendou x Pen Pen 4EVA

Uini
11-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Ah, it's good to see other Eva fans on here. Admittedly, I got into the series very late compared to most anime fans (2010 onwards) but I do love the series very much

Don't worry, I just got into the series earlier this year after a friend WOULDN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT 2.22. I finally decided to dive in and check it all out. I watched the entire tv series and all the movies to date. Since I recently got a job, I've been reading the manga online in my down times. So yea, don't feel bad about that.

Apparently there's a SOUND ONLY recording of the whole movie. Which is tempting but I rather watch the movie however. Personally I'd rather have a subtitle, but a dub is fine too. <: I've gotten a lot of spoilers that i wasn't happy with getting but its only made me much more excited to watch it.

Meanwhile, have sexy Zeruel.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq0lfy30s1r4islco1_1280.jpg

swibe
12-09-2012, 10:24 PM
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

Vine
12-09-2012, 11:06 PM
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

A+ contribution to thread.
What ever would we do without your valued input.

http://i.imgur.com/8wHyh.jpg

RX-149Dragonite
12-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Well I've started to jump into Eva

I'm on episode 20 of the original series and... I really can't see why it's so hyped up by some people.

Plus, the animation inconsistencies are glaring, and you can tell when the budget constraints were being put in (episode 20 being a gigantic indicator of that by basically making a clipshow out of a plot episode, and still shots everywhere).

What's even worse: I liked Asuka when she first was introduced, but she turned into a bitch real quickly. I'm running out of characters to like here.

Aokamidu
12-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Hey, RX-149Dragonite, at least you gave it a try instead of dismissing it instantaneously. I'm not going to defend the series to the hilt because it's true, Evangelion does indeed suffer from production problems the latter half of the series, and it didn't help Anno went into a long state of depression due to both personal and professional circumstances (which at one point in my life, I could relate to a lot as a misanthrope). So I'm not too sure how you'll receive the End of Evangelion movie...

Still, good on you for getting this far - I gave up on One Piece and Fairy Tail four episodes in, and Bleach.... whatever episode number it was when the cast list increased by a million, so that shows what kind of person I am. If you don't like it in the end, then that's fine. Thanks for trying Eva's TV series from start-to-finish and forming your own opinion. Wish more people would do that these days...

RX-149Dragonite
12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
So I'm not too sure how you'll receive the End of Evangelion movie...

Hehehehehe, about that

That was terrible. It didn't tie up the loose ends and it was a pretty lame way to end it. I think they tried to make up for episode 25 and 26 not showing how the Third Impact happens with CROSSPLOSIONS errywhere. I honestly enjoyed episodes 25 and 26 more since they attempted to try to tie up the loose ends and explain things (although not really, the "psychology" they used was kinda weak and too Freudian in some cases.)

I liked the series, it still just has a lot of problems that make me wonder why people praise it as some sort of defining moment in anime history. Plus, I think Ideon did "mecha that can end the world/universe" thing better

In fact, I think Yoshiyuki Tomino, who made Ideon, Gundam, and other mecha anime said this about Eva that I agree with:

"So I was very upset when I saw Evangelion, because it was apparent to me that the people who made it weren't thinking at all about making fun for or gaining the sympathy of the audience. Instead they tried to convince the audience to admit that everybody is sick, practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown, all the time. I don't think you should show things like that to everybody. It's not entertainment for the masses--it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought. It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone. I don't think that's a real work of art. When people see that, they begin to realize they are the same way. I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die. I can't accept any work that doesn't say that."

Anyhoo, now that I'm done with the main series and EoE, I can move on to the Rebuild movies.

Aokamidu
12-18-2012, 05:27 AM
In fact, I think Yoshiyuki Tomino, who made Ideon, Gundam, and other mecha anime said this about Eva that I agree with:

"So I was very upset when I saw Evangelion, because it was apparent to me that the people who made it weren't thinking at all about making fun for or gaining the sympathy of the audience. Instead they tried to convince the audience to admit that everybody is sick, practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown, all the time. I don't think you should show things like that to everybody. It's not entertainment for the masses--it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought. It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone. I don't think that's a real work of art. When people see that, they begin to realize they are the same way. I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die. I can't accept any work that doesn't say that."

Anyhoo, now that I'm done with the main series and EoE, I can move on to the Rebuild movies.

I agree in parts about that quote - the way I interpreted Eva was that it wasn't a series about mechas and warfare, but more about exposing the flaws of humanity from multiple viewpoints, and not forgiving them. Maybe that's why for some people, it's a big deal, especially if it was one of their very first anime - I can't think of any other medium outside of arthouse cinema that tackles such subject matter. But hey...

I hope you'll enjoy the Rebuild series a lot more - it had a lot more money poured into it and it shows - I personally enjoyed 2.2. You Can (Not) Advance a lot more than the first one, but if you get that far, you'll understand why. Good luck.