PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] I am looking forward to using this website more, but my delicate eyes are not

FishNChips
07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Gutten morgen, wzl.

I've been awfully excited about Wzl (I'm calling Weasyl Wzl for short) since I got to learn more about it and I even donated and here I am. So far so good I must say. However, I do have my criticisms as a user. The layout is fine and all, but a lot of things are awfully... small. The font is absolutely teensie, for one. Is also is the text even black? It hardly seems to stand out against the background. It's like darker grey on a lighter grey. It feels straining and uncomfortable on one's eyes to read it, it's as if the entire forum was designed for use with small monitors or something.

The first thing that comes to mind is to simply make the text larger and use a slight change in the standard colours. Traditional black text against white could work, though it does not fit well into the rest of the grey scheme, this I understand. I personally feel that the part of the layout we write on should be darkened considerably (almost as dark as the background) and white text be used. Possibly. Maybe. I don't know. But this grey-on-grey text doesn't seem to mix. The colours mix fine, but I don't feel it's appropriate for the text.

Take a look at this screenshot: http://gyazo.com/fd58b871447b76a8287074834cdfe2b0.png?1343405573

It's an example of a largely grey colour scheme with better use of text. Stands out, clearly visible, easy to read.

But disregarding my personal sortakinda-in-depth opinion, this is basically what I'm suggesting:

A larger standard font size. It's smaller than Microsoft Word's and Notepad's standard fonts.
Larger avatars, maybe? 100x100 feels extremely restrictive, not to mention small. 150x150 or so may work.
Text simply needs to stand out a little better, which is probably best achieved with different colours being used.

Thank you for any consideration. :> Looking forward to getting involved with this site.

Ibuuyk
07-27-2012, 12:20 PM
These were already suggested, Jimmy Gibs Jr. :P

FishNChips
07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
these were already suggested, jimmy gibs jr. :p

FINE.

Also I think it should be possible to allow messages to have all-caps. Not advocating that someone make an entire long post with nothing but caps, but there are short ones where caps may be desirable to convey one's tone.

Shane
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
After prolonged exposure or use, wouldn't staring at white text against a dark background begin to hurt...? Maybe that's just me. I personally love the colour scheme and I think it works very well; I'd probably be extremely turned off if it got any darker.

However I have to agree with you on the font size issue (and, perhaps, the avatar size too, but I've gotten so used to 100x100 I barely pay attention haha). It's definitely below the default or standard. I think I read somewhere the standard is usually 16px or 1em, but hopefully they're not using pixels here. xP

Taw
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
First suggestion: Currently looking into and playing with font sizes when I can, will do more fiddling when I'm home today.

Second suggestion: 100x100 are currently for normal users, premium users have 150x150 for their avatar size. Might increase both of those by 50x50. I'll discuss this with Eminoxic when I get home.

Third suggestion: Originally we had a dark forum template but it didn't feel too welcoming so we switched it to semi-match the main site and be brighter; I'll look into making the text more readable and bigger and such. Still are a few styling issues and kinks I gotta work out as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, always happy for the feedback!

Edit:

Shane: I don't think that's the standard for avatars, though I'd have to look into it; seems extremely tiny though at 16x16. That's smaller than the staff tracker icon!

Shane
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
@Taw: When I said 16px, I was talking about font sizes for websites. I don't think I'd be able to see a 16x16 icon.

FishNChips
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u96/fireadi/avatarsvault/96x96/section4/dpm_tvandmovies_3229.gif

First suggestion: Currently looking into and playing with font sizes when I can, will do more fiddling when I'm home today.

Second suggestion: 100x100 are currently for normal users, premium users have 150x150 for their avatar size. Might increase both of those by 50x50. I'll discuss this with Eminoxic when I get home.

Third suggestion: Originally we had a dark forum template but it didn't feel too welcoming so we switched it to semi-match the main site and be brighter; I'll look into making the text more readable and bigger and such. Still are a few styling issues and kinks I gotta work out as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, always happy for the feedback!

Edit:

Shane: I don't think that's the standard for avatars, though I'd have to look into it; seems extremely tiny though at 16x16. That's smaller than the staff tracker icon!

Yey, thanks for that reply. :> AND HELL YES Premium users get bigger avvies. This bodes well for me, as I am supposed to be a premium user. I think. I did donate $20 and posted in the related thread. bleiblelbldfs But as for the rest, good stuff, understood, etc. c:

Taw
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Shane: Alrighty, was a tad confused, might be because I'm trying to also half listen to my lecture in class too. :p

Gibby: I'll look into the list of people when I get home and check and make sure they are all donators and such and promote the ones I didn't get to do last night. Sorry about the wait!

FishNChips
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Gibby: I'll look into the list of people when I get home and check and make sure they are all donators and such and promote the ones I didn't get to do last night. Sorry about the wait!

OH LOL nah, I'm not buggered about any waiting. I feel like I've only been here like 10 minutes, I'm happy to wait c:

Edit: Also the size of the font in quoted posts seems pretty appropriate for the forum in general. o:

TangoDelahunt
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Shane: Alrighty, was a tad confused, might be because I'm trying to also half listen to my lecture in class too. :p

I should be in there too. I donated $20 a while back during the fund raiser.

Fiz
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I should be in there too. I donated $20 a while back during the fund raiser.

Leave a post in this thread so you don't get looked over:

http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?71-Premium-Member-Sign-In

Pony King
07-29-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree, the text is way too small. I'd suggest bringing the font size for posts up from 11 to 12-14px. A one pixel increase alone, along with pure black text, made reading the forums much easier
When it comes to forums the content is king so having the text a pretty decent size is a good thing. I'd also suggest making the color just black with the background you have set.

Keep up the great work. ^^

Oh and I don't know why so many sites are going to such tiny text. Small type can work but not for the main content of your site. I try to never go below 14-16px for the content personally.

oneandonly
07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm actually using a netbook, and the site seems fine to me, so it does look good on small screens, but a larger font would still be nice personally.

Taw
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Font size is now increased on most forum elements by 1px.

FishNChips
07-29-2012, 04:03 PM

It's definitely more readable now. Thanks a lot! :>>>

Taw
07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
It's definitely more readable now. Thanks a lot! :>>>

No problem. Also increased the width of the forum from 960 to 1020.

Tiger
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Absolutely perfect!

OnyxSerpent
07-29-2012, 06:09 PM
No problem. Also increased the width of the forum from 960 to 1020.

Why on this? It's larger than I generally have my browser window since I don't browse full screen. I mean it's not MUCH larger (unlike Fark, who pulled the same crud a few weeks ago, so I now use a custom CSS sheet for their site). Why not a flexible layout instead with a min width of say, 800 or 900?

Also, I guess I never did get around to posting this link, but it's totally relevant to the type size thing, even though that's mostly settled derp: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/10/07/16-pixels-body-copy-anything-less-costly-mistake/

Edit: Sorry if it sounds harsh. The browser width/size thing vs fullscreen vs windowed is just like.. A gigantic pet peeve of mine, heh.

Taw
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Why on this? It's larger than I generally have my browser window since I don't browse full screen. I mean it's not MUCH larger (unlike Fark, who pulled the same crud a few weeks ago, so I now use a custom CSS sheet for their site). Why not a flexible layout instead with a min width of say, 800 or 900?

Also, I guess I never did get around to posting this link, but it's totally relevant to the type size thing, even though that's mostly settled derp: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/10/07/16-pixels-body-copy-anything-less-costly-mistake/

Edit: Sorry if it sounds harsh. The browser width/size thing vs fullscreen vs windowed is just like.. A gigantic pet peeve of mine, heh.

I can look into a more fluid width for the forums, though I'm not quite certain how it'd fare. Should also note that if I increase the text any bigger than 14 with a width under 1000 some things randomly seem to break in spots, so it's a balancing act a little. I'll keep looking into it more though when I can - may even offer a smaller width version of the theme as an alternative if we cannot do a fluid layout.

RadioCatastrophe
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Don't mean to necro but I would like to make an input on the avatar sizes. I know prem members, and other staff are allowed larger avatars, but why? It doesn't seem like much of a perk and I think everyone should have the same maximum avatar size. The different colored names and titles under your names plus whatever else they get is more than enough, just me though, it seems a bit much to add avatar sizes to the package.

Eminoxic
08-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Don't mean to necro but I would like to make an input on the avatar sizes. I know prem members, and other staff are allowed larger avatars, but why? It doesn't seem like much of a perk and I think everyone should have the same maximum avatar size. The different colored names and titles under your names plus whatever else they get is more than enough, just me though, it seems a bit much to add avatar sizes to the package.

Well, even if everyone had the same max avatar, doesn't mean everyone will use the max. So it's sort of just a fun little perk. If it becomes a problem and more people feel strongly about it, we could discuss a solution. But we don't want to really revoke perks from premium users. This isn't a "Pay to win" forums, but it's just we're showing our appreciation for the support by giving them small perks. There's not many features a forum can have that you can really make a big gap between members and premium. So we are trying our best to just give what we can.

We do appreciate the support of regular members as well, don't get me wrong. We just figured if someone spent money to support us, we should try giving a bit more.