PDA

View Full Version : Gallery transfer script

foxboyprower
11-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Currently Weasyl is proving to be a very promising art site with a bunch of features that FA doesn't offer (I know weasyl isn't just a furry website). It would be awesome to have the content FA does on weasyl along with more. But there is something holding that back. Many artists on FA have huge galleries. If they were to upload all the content to weasyl (which we would want that content eventually) it would be a massive undertaking for them. I can understand why many artists would simply not join weasyl because of this. This deprives weasyl of great artist and/or their content.

It would be an enormous help for these artists, and the expansion of weasyl, if there was a script that took the content from a user's FA (or another site) gallery and uploaded that to weasyl. There is such a tool for inkbunny http://fa2ib.welcomefur.com/
I'm not sure what would be needed for something like this to be made for weasyl. I'm guessing the site would have to first move out of the beta stage in order for a script to be made. I currently do not know how to program or code, but I am eager to learn. So if nobody makes this, it would be a compelling project to pursue myself.
I was wondering what people with experience would have to say about this.

Vitani
11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
While this is possible, Weasyl would need to offer a public API service so that scripts could connect and utilise the service, however I don't think that is currently on the agenda at this given point. I may be mistaken however.

Nightpaws
11-14-2012, 10:50 PM
I imagine that this would be possible, however it would generate massive traffic for both sites and probably result in a DoS (Denial of Service) attack being registered by FA. There's just too much data to transfer in such a way without either seriously annoying people, or breaking things.

(Imagine trying to use the data from facebook to set up a new social network. There's simply so much it'd be an impossible task).

Great idea though, but a bulk upload feature would probably do most people just fine :)

Fiz
11-15-2012, 03:03 AM
While this is possible, Weasyl would need to offer a public API service so that scripts could connect and utilise the service, however I don't think that is currently on the agenda at this given point. I may be mistaken however.

We are planning to have a public API at some point in the future.

I think a gallery transfer script would be cool and useful, as long as it's somewhat limited. Like maybe only transferring 10 submissions at a time or a certain amount per day so that it wouldn't suck too much bandwidth from the originating site.

Vitani
11-15-2012, 07:38 AM
We are planning to have a public API at some point in the future.

I think a gallery transfer script would be cool and useful, as long as it's somewhat limited. Like maybe only transferring 10 submissions at a time or a certain amount per day so that it wouldn't suck too much bandwidth from the originating site.

Ah, Awesome, Well I'm happy to be proven wrong in this instance.

I like the idea of limitations on numbers of transfers, I would like to add perhaps that .swf files could be omitted from such a tool, since they can be significantly larger than traditional jpg/png/gif files.

Since not everybody uses flash on FA then it wouldn't impact them from a user standpoint, but it would also not impact on the FA server system as harshly as it could do if .swf was enabled.

Just a suggestion however.

Rotsuoy
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow, I guess I'm the only person on the site then that loathes when artist on FA turn around and spam all of their gallery onto Weasyl. . .

Tiger
11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow, I guess I'm the only person on the site then that loathes when artist on FA turn around and spam all of their gallery onto Weasyl. . .

It does annoy me, too, but it's pretty inevitable. I think this is an excellent idea, though, so long as there is a limitation. It's much easier for uploaders, and I feel it would be effective with watchers/observers that won't have to deal with the same artist flooding the front page with their work when they submit a new one every 2 minutes for over 20 minutes, maybe more (I've seen someone with over 400 submissions already and when they submit, their art overloads the front page for however long it takes to upload it all). Although the 10 limit would still take up space on the front page it wouldn't be an ongoing thing for a long time.

Also, people have suggested that to help relieve front page overflow from a single artist would be to offer a feature so that an artist can choose whether or not a particular image would appear on the front page, thus reducing the chance of an overflow.

Fiz
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
It does annoy me, too, but it's pretty inevitable. I think this is an excellent idea, though, so long as there is a limitation. It's much easier for uploaders, and I feel it would be effective with watchers/observers that won't have to deal with the same artist flooding the front page with their work when they submit a new one every 2 minutes for over 20 minutes, maybe more (I've seen someone with over 400 submissions already and when they submit, their art overloads the front page for however long it takes to upload it all). Although the 10 limit would still take up space on the front page it wouldn't be an ongoing thing for a long time.

Also, people have suggested that to help relieve front page overflow from a single artist would be to offer a feature so that an artist can choose whether or not a particular image would appear on the front page, thus reducing the chance of an overflow.

Perhaps the script could also work on a timer of sorts? Limit to 10 transfers at a time, 5 minutes per upload, so you get 10 uploads within 50 minutes or something like that. It would probably still flood a little bit because our front page is currently a bit slow, it might help the problem.

Tiger
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Perhaps the script could also work on a timer of sorts? Limit to 10 transfers at a time, 5 minutes per upload, so you get 10 uploads within 50 minutes or something like that. It would probably still flood a little bit because our front page is currently a bit slow, it might help the problem.

That would be awesome! And yeah, the front page flooding is still going to happen, perhaps more so when the site is opened for public and there are so many new artists coming in that want to transfer a large portion of their galleries, too. If there's a way to make it easy for those artists to upload their large body of work as well as allowing other artists some space on the front page (and dealing with nit-picky people like me :P), it would be great.