PDA

View Full Version : File Format Support & Reccomendations

Ficklebee
11-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Here is a list of the file types Weasyl currently supports and some suggested files types to be supported in the future. Please feel free to comment or add other files types you would like us to support. Also, could you list what media type it is and if it is for a specific program (e.g., .psd - photoshop, .docx - Word). Thanks, looking forward to seeing your suggestions!

Supported

.jpg
.png
.gif

Text
.txt
Audio
.mp3

Media
.swf

Suggested

.tiff
.webp
.bmp
.psd
.psp

Text
.rtf
.doc
.docx
.dot
.pages
.epub
.pdf
Audio
.flac
.mod
.xm
.s3m
.opus
.it
.midi
Media
.ogg
.m4a
.avi
.mov
.wma
.wmv
.3gp
.m4v
.webm
.svg

Other
.abr

3D Modeling
.obj
.mdl
.md2
.md3

I'll update these tables as suggestions come in.

Neybulot
11-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I would also suggest .opus if possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)

But there's also Windows Media formats, .wma and .wmv respectively, as well as .3gp or .m4v for video, both of which can come from cell phones, even in HD quality. (My own 1080p HD recording Android phone uses .m4v)

Tiger
11-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I just want to say it would be great to support .psd, .tiff, and .pdf (.pdf being the most important, in my opinion).

renardqueenston
11-06-2012, 12:01 AM
while you're at the module filetypes you should also include the *.IT format (and anything else playable with the BASS library, likely)

Ikagara
11-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I don't believe that allowing people to submit raw file formats like PSD is a good idea. i feel there may be technical limitation with displaying an image from that sort of file on the web, also the file size would be much bigger then if it where saved as another format. On the other side, a raw file format like that is not meant for distributing. final artwork is always flattened and saved in another format depending on what medium that plan on displaying it on. you save space and its supported by the browser to use jpg, png or gif. i dont have much experience with the other formats. but the same general ides would apply in regards to the raw file format.

renardqueenston
11-06-2012, 12:55 AM
@Ikagara i feel as though "not meant for distributing" is up to the artist. a PSD may contain layered resources for users, for example. in some cases, the filetype is part of the art, in the case of tracked music formats especially. i feel as though allowing it as a format is a fantastic idea that will allow for a much more open and creative. community.

CHICAGO_lollie
11-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Throwing in a suggestion for .webm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM) media, mostly because it currently has important ties with HTML5.

Khato
11-06-2012, 10:13 AM
MIDI files are something to include. They're tiny and easy to implement.

SVG has also been gaining a foothold as an alternative to SWF - perhaps it could be considered, now that browser support for it is more widespread?

Finally, I think some kind of obj/mdl/md2/md3/etc support would really benefit the site. I don't think many art sites have native 3D model support, and it could attract some new faces if they could see their models showcased in realtime. (http://code.google.com/p/jsc3d/) It'd be nice to give something unique to the 3D artists.

foxboyprower
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I would love to see 3d models here. I make 3d models but I can only upload poor screenshots of them. It would be awesome to see that kind of content on the site.

It would also be cool for some artists to upload high quality format submissions (tiff and flac files), but it might take up too much memory than the site could reasonably give all users. Either way there would be a lot of kinks to work out to make these work, but hopefully the site will continue growing and improving.

zentaco
11-11-2012, 04:03 AM
If .psd were to be in the running for an addition, then .ai might be a good idea as well. I'm sure there are lots of vector artists out there.

darkdoomer
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
.docx .bmp .psd .psp .wma .wmv .mov ....
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy0oOI8x-oeAel6rO-petgBD6OgAIcrO6VoAyDMp_GdZdYIhimVw
i would like to interject that supporting non free fileformats does not respect our freedoms !
just allow a "raw download" eventuallly, and limit only the user to a reasonable upload size.

Orthan
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
If .PSD and similar are included, I would love for .SAI to be supported as well. While you can save .PSD in PaintToolSAI, some of the layer options are not supported cross-platform.

Ikani
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Of note for 3D types, .stl files are commonly used particularly in 3D printing. Also if you're supporting all the Office formats, might as well get the ODx ones in there too.