PDA

View Full Version : Table Top, Non-Digital Gaming Discussion Thread

Nomnomnom
11-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Discussion of Non-digital gaming and table top gaming goes here I guess.

What games are your most recently played games?

What games are you looking forward to playing?

What games do you currently own?

I've most recently played Dominion and absolutely loved it. Before that it was Merchants and Marauders and before that Small World.

I'm looking forward to grabbing more deck building type games and hopefully picking up some expansions to dominion and ascension.

As for games I own:

Ascension
Carcassonne
Dominion
Struggle for Catan
Killer Bunnies (blue box)
Betrayal at House on the Hill (2nd Edition)
Heroscape (1989)
Risk (1990's)
Red Dragon Inn

Feel free to ask me about any of the games I own and I'll give ya my opinion of them.

FishNChips
11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I used to be into Warhammer 40,000 and after a few years of not being involved, I wanted to get back in again. Then I saw how Games Workshop have changed their products and pricing and even their books.

Fuck that shit.

Though I do want to get into tabletop gaming and collecting/painting/assembling and especially converting miniatures. I just don't know where to start.

Nomnomnom
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I used to be into Warhammer 40,000 and after a few years of not being involved, I wanted to get back in again. Then I saw how Games Workshop have changed their products and pricing and even their books.

Fuck that shit.

Though I do want to get into tabletop gaming and collecting/painting/assembling and especially converting miniatures. I just don't know where to start.

I would suggest War Machine. it's a little bit cheaper then 40k and is one of those things that you don't have to completely spend everything you've made to get started on it. I'm not sure about the converting of units, but there's always the option to play with proxied pieces too in friendly games.

Unburnt Daenerys
11-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Battlestar Galactica is easily the best board game I've ever played. Highly recommended.

Ryunohito
11-09-2012, 04:29 AM

Fuck that shit.

I REALLY agree with nomnomnom on this one, Warmachine/Hordes is hella fun, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get into, shit even the 2 player battle box is only $100 approx and comes with well over $250 worth of stuff, and smaller scale too so you don't have to lug around 200+ minis (unless you're like me and own 3 armies XD)

but another good game to try is Malifaux, small skirmish based play, you can win even if you lose all your units, very unique and memorable characters, and the twist, it uses a deck of playing cards instead of dice to actually resolve conflicts, also inexpensive to start with.

and another game to possibly check out is Infinity, which goes for a futuristic anime/cyberpunk feel, a little costly in the long run but fun mechanics (D20 system) and some pretty models too.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should add this too, Arkham Horror, that game is a blast to play, it may be a bit pricey, but the quality definitely shows. and it's not so much a competitive as it is a co-operative effort, cause the whole time playing it? the game is out to kill you, and everyone else playing it. damn, talking about this really makes me miss my gaming days :C

Viergacht
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I used to play D&D but haven't had anyone to play with in years.
We do play Scrabble just about every day.

Nomnomnom
11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine is trying to get me into the idea of playing Ironclaw, and gave me the books, but I'm not really sure if its going to end up happening or not because our group is so disorganized and has too much going on for itself at this point in time.

Does anyone have any experience with it that they'd like to share?

Rsyk
11-19-2012, 02:03 AM
A friend of mine is trying to get me into the idea of playing Ironclaw, and gave me the books, but I'm not really sure if its going to end up happening or not because our group is so disorganized and has too much going on for itself at this point in time.

Does anyone have any experience with it that they'd like to share?

I looked into the books a while ago, after hearing about it along with a more sci-fi furry themed RPG. I've wanted to play for a while, but never really gotten a chance. That said, I love the system and the focus on creating a character as opposed to a unit. The original universe is also well set up. (Jadeclaw kinda ruined that later.)

My personal favorite table top game is Old World of Darkness. Just like with D&D though, they created a second set that made it awful. Still, the original (And the new twentieth anniversary books that take place in the old setting.) has some of the best back story for an RPG I've ever read.

Kodyack
11-20-2012, 02:18 AM
I remember playing D&D in the Dorms back in BASIC, was pretty fun, played it a bit before too.
But I got myself a soft spot in my heart for Catan, making a great wall of road across the map is a cathartic experience.

RadioCatastrophe
11-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Um, I have Spongebob Monopoly, lol. I guess it got "lost" while moving in with my boyfriend/fiancé (he hates all my spongebob things and only let me keep my lamp and posters ;w;). I've been playing D&D with his friends lately, though they all hate my characters - either too dumb, evil/steals, etc. The bf has a Risk game, dunno which it is though I know it's modern (apocolpyse maybe?) but he hasn't touched it since we moved from his friends house early this year. I haven't played many games that are table top that weren't the normal family games like Monopoly, Sorry, Scrabble, and that one game with the flip up pictures and and you had to guess each others person you got from a desk of all the characters on the board (sorta like that Who Am I, game with the head bands only reverse) but that was in elementary school. owo

Anubite
12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Me, I play 40k every Thursday, Sundays sometimes too. I am a commissioned painter for it and am also into warmachine. I play Imperial Guard, I've got a lot of guard stuff. Tanks and infantry pouring out of my cabinets. For guard I have about 10k worth of shit points wise.

Warhammer Fantasy too.

With Warmachine, I play Cygnar, have a 35 point trencher list and am working on a 50 point for them.

Board game wise, I have a few different Risk games, Ticket to Ride and the Gears of War Board Game which is sick.

Used to play D and D 3.5 A lot, but my group is on hiatus at the moment so I wont be playing for a while sadly...

RadioCatastrophe
12-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Have any of you heard of Kingdom Death: Monster (http://kck.st/10npGXp)?

My boyfriend has been really pumped about it and has been stalking the kickstarter since he found it, the concept of it seems cool he explained it as a table-top version of Monster Hunter. I'm mostly in it for the pin-up figurines. >:3

Sparky15756
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I play Yu-Gi-Oh! twice a week at my local hobby shop, well I mainly trade/sell for the time being but I'll be re-entering the dueling part from next year in the form of tournaments. And that's about it, really, as Yu-Gi-Oh! is my life (sorta) xD

Rien
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Man, I miss my table top gaming group! I haven't played in over 6 months, and won't get a chance to play until July when I get back in the States. I mostly play table top roleplay games (most recently Eclipse Phase, which is an excellent sci fi game for anyone interested). I have a love/hate relationship with D&D(3.5) and I started with NWoD so I can't compare it to the old set... I like the new stuff though, especially Changeling and Geist >.>

Beyond that, I also play Dystopian Wars, though only a few of my boats are painted. Shame on me. I need to get the flying gyro squid >.> I want to get into 40k but the massive cost makes me hesitant. Besides the fact that the only army I'm interested in are Nids. I just want them to play them, even if they are pretty meh. I also wouldn't run them as a hoard, which is apparently just asking for disaster *shrug*

I've played a handful of really good indie games. Anyone ever played Microscope? That thing is incredibly fun and all you need once you know the rules are index cards and pencils. And players, of course XD

KaneQuicktail
02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
I play D&D 3.5 (wont even touch 4e), I've got several characters that I'll play from time to time, human bard, gnoll rogue, skulk ninja, ratling samurai, and a custom class that I'm building. Dabbled in Warhammer 40k a little bit and I'd love to get into it more but it's so expensive.

I'm also big in MTG, my current Legacy deck is a take on an Eldrazi deck and I've got a Modern deck that's playing off of the Simic Evolve ability.

Telvadian Rebel
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I love my tabletops. :D I play most Whitewolf games - World of Darkness, Vampire the Masquerade, Mage the Awakening, Changeling, Werewolf, etc. And of course, D&D, Ravenloft, and a smattering of other things. My group tends to do a full campaign and then switch to a new tabletop for variety. Currently, we're playing Pathfinder, and I'm an elf witch. :3

ShadWolf
02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I like playing the Pokemon TCG, it's very simple and strait forward to follow, it's much more fun when you've got all the equipment for playing it like the Counters for Damage and Status Problems, and most importantly a flip coin. ^_^

Aden
02-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Just started a game of D&D (Pathfinder) a few weeks ago, having never played it before. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit!

Telvadian Rebel
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Whoo, fellow Pathfinder player! What race and class?

Rien
02-18-2013, 04:18 AM
I've played Pathfinder and I have the same problems with it that I do with 3.5. It's still fun to play though as long as I don't get hung up on the things I don't like about the system.

RogueSareth
02-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Currently playing in a D&D campaign my fiance is running and waiting to see if my friends dad wants to GM a Rogue Traders or Dark Heresy game for us.

Rilvor
02-24-2013, 05:35 AM
I am currently Dungeon Master for a 3.5 game of D&D as well as Game Master for a Shadowrun game.

I am honestly surprised (and disappointed) to see no other mention of Shadowrun here.

Aden
02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Whoo, fellow Pathfinder player! What race and class?

Human ranger. Figured I'd play something a little grounded my first time c:

nanakisan
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
I still play casually some MTG. Mostly play the EDH decks these days now. Really want to get into Planeswalker games. I actually have me a Nicol Bolas Planeswalker. Really want to build a wicked deck around him.

Decks i currently run for EDH are
Mikaeus Commander | Human/Angel deck (basically lots of life giving and ass kicking)

Lovisa Coldeyes Commander | Warrior/Barbarian/Berserker Tribals deck (Lots of fast summoning for little mana and ass loads of butt whoop. Not to mention butt loads of life scorching spells)

Currently building ...well i was building a EDH Elves deck which much to my sadness. After doing all my research and i was even gonna discuss said research with a friend. The local games place shutdown...since then i haven't really played MTG.

Toshabi
02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm currently reading up and preparing for a game of Iron Kingdoms that my friend just purchased. The mechanics of this game are.... unique. I'm very intrigued to see how this will all play out when we start in a few weeks.

nanakisan
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Perhaps someone can help me here.

Long ago i went to a outlet center for goodwill. In one of those bins was this large hard plastic documents binder. When i opened it up. There was a plethora of books and stuff for a Space themed RPG game. I never got the games name. But from what i recall it had lots of stats for Ships etc etc. It was quite detailed. I really regret never buying it. I actually went back to see if it was still there. It wasn't. Would anyone happen to know the game? No it wasn't the Starwars RPG. That much i was certain.

Sparkyopteryx
03-02-2013, 02:07 AM
I am currently Dungeon Master for a 3.5 game of D&D as well as Game Master for a Shadowrun game.

I am honestly surprised (and disappointed) to see no other mention of Shadowrun here.

I know, right? So was I. I started playing 3rd edition years ago and now we're both playing the current one and loving it. The "splat books" really add a lot of depth, and honestly these days I can say I like the rules more than D&D 3.5 and 4th Edition (the latter can be cursed for all eternity and be swarmed non-stop by angry leper kobolds with poisoned spears).

That being said, I still love D&D 3.5. I tried the Greyhawk setting as well as the Forgotten Realms one before and found I didn't care for either of them; I'd really like to get into the Eberron setting though. Anyone here have any thoughts on that setting, by any chance? I've also (very) recently started playing the 1999 version of Vampire: the Masquerade and so far I'm really liking how the rules work (this being my very first WoD game ever). I've also dabbled in the d20 Modern system and found it alright, but since I didn't play it enough I can't give a good enough opinion of it yet.

Rilvor
03-02-2013, 02:17 AM
So far Vampire has one of the more odd systems I've ever used; The fluid changing of what is success threshold and what isn't can be a bit weird. Perhaps I'm just a bit too used to the overcomplicated system of Shadowrun I've grown to love.

FlynnCoyote
08-17-2013, 11:43 PM
40k has gotten me into wargaming and honestly I struggle to find interest in anything else. I've tried Warhammer, Infinity and several roleplaying games like Mordheim and Pathfinder, but they're not for me. The only other tabletop game I can enjoy is DnD, and that is simply because I play the dm and thus control the majority of the plot.

Warmahordes bored me to tears, the lower costs could not make up for the sheer monotony of the game. I'll stick with 40k, it may cost more per set but since I like to take my time to make each piece a good looking table top figure I treat this as a long term hobby anyway and rarely spend more than $60 a fortnight on it on average. :)

Gaming aside, I do love some of the other system's miniatures, Kingdom Death and Reaper minis among my most favourites.

RainWizard
12-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Love Magic: The Gathering, but I seem to have lost touch with it for a little while, due to lack of opponents. Hopefully when Born of the Gods comes out my interest will pick back up.

SirCoffeecup
12-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I've played some wh40k in my lifetime. Got a medium sized Necron army to go with the hobby.
Painting of them is awesome and the gaming was awesome, sadly though my friends stopped playing it and as such I did too. Or maybe they stopped because I stopped.
I don't really know

Derin Darkpaw
01-04-2014, 03:16 AM
I am all about Table Top gaming. Played almost every version of D&D since AD&D, Exalted, Shadowrun, both Old and New World of Darkness, a small bit of Rifts, and read the rules and source books for way too many other roleplaying games to count. Chances are if you have played it I have at least heard of it and if for some reason I haven't I would love to know more about it. I could probably spend days just telling stories about past games and characters.

Its not just roleplaying games I am into. I also absolutely love board games and I have an ever growing collection of them. I own Settlers of Catan along with both the Cities and Knights expansion and Traders and Barbarians. Arkham Horror with the Dunnswitch Horror, Innsmouth Horror, and the Lurker at the Threshold expansion. Talisman with everything but the three latest expansions. Cosmic Encounter with everything but the newest expansion. Also Civilization, Wiz War, Ventura, Relic, Rex: Final Days of an Empire, Constantinopolis, Trains, Gauntlet of Fools, Mascarade, Pillars of Earth, Alhambra, DungeonQuest, Runebound, and I might have missed one or two there.

I used to play Warhammer 40k. I had a decent sized Tau army, but I stopped a long time ago and have since sold it. Also used to collect Magic the Gathering. Stopped that when it became too expensive, but I don't plan on selling my cards because I still enjoy the occasional game now and then.

irick
01-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I've played too many systems for me to really remember. Munchkin, Magic, Risk, Warhammer/40k wargame and RPG, D&D, Pathfinder, GURPS, Serenity RPG, 7th sea, oWoD, Legend of the Five Rings, Anima, BESM, Classic Marvel Superheros, Cthulutech, Mousegaurd, Shadowrun, Starwars Saga and d20, Tinker's Damn, Call of Cthulu, Xcrawl, 6d6, Apocalypse Prevention Inc, Rifts and Eclipse Phase.

I'm currently running an Eclipse Phase game, once my players finish character gen :P

Derin Darkpaw
01-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I've played too many systems for me to really remember. Munchkin, Magic, Risk, Warhammer/40k wargame and RPG, D&D, Pathfinder, GURPS, Serenity RPG, 7th sea, oWoD, Legend of the Five Rings, Anima, BESM, Classic Marvel Superheros, Cthulutech, Mousegaurd, Shadowrun, Starwars Saga and d20, Tinker's Damn, Call of Cthulu, Xcrawl, 6d6, Apocalypse Prevention Inc, Rifts and Eclipse Phase.

I'm currently running an Eclipse Phase game, once my players finish character gen :P

Wow some one with a history in roleplaying games more extensive then my own. That is impressive. What would you say is your favorite system out of all of those and which would you say is your favorite setting? Also we should totally swap stories of past games and characters some time.

Pine
01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I like chess.
Does chess count?

anybody?

Tiamat
01-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Chess is awesome. My folks have this set which has vanished somewhere in storage. The kind with where the pieces are sculpted into looking like real people and things.

Derin Darkpaw
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Chess is just too over analyzed at this point. Either you play with people who know the game very well and its both players basically just picking the best moves which have already been determined a long time ago or neither player knows the game that well at all. Worse still is when one player knows the game really well and the other doesn't at which point the game is over before it even began. Also I tend to find that a lot of people who like to instigate games of chess are some of those really skilled players and they just want to bully people into playing so they can win.

Chess variants on the other hand are a ton of fun. I love Baroque chess.

Ruggy
01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Nrrrgh I have friends who run D&D campaigns, but every night they host one, I have appointments I can't move (what it is about wednesday nights?) I've sat in on a few sessions that were already in, er, session, and I love the idea of playing a game as a character with a history and motivations that I've come up with on my own. It looks so fun. :<

irick
01-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Wow some one with a history in roleplaying games more extensive then my own. That is impressive. What would you say is your favorite system out of all of those and which would you say is your favorite setting? Also we should totally swap stories of past games and characters some time.

It really depends on what you're looking for. My first experience with tabletop was D&D 3.5 and was mostly run straight from the SRD. I gravitate tword Pathfinder and Starwars Saga when I GM because of my familiarity with the d20 system. I love Golarion, which is the default Pathfinder setting and I love Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase.

Mousegaurd RPG has a beautifully done core book and it's extremely easy to pick up with a modified burning wheel system. It's just a really artfully done system, simple but elegent in its execution. Xcrawl is pretty stupidly meta at times, which makes it a lot of fun with seasoned D&D groups. Play it for camp, you are rock stars who play real-life D&D because the emperor of the united states is a fan.

Eclipse Phase is awesome for pick up IRC games because you are permitted to distribute all Eclipse Phase content so long as it is non-commercial. You can even legally spin your own house-ruled books and they give you all the resources you need to do so. Their PDFs are great, the system is pretty simple mechanically but has a lot of character depth. I fully recommend it if you want some post-cyberpunk Ghost In The Shell type games.

Classic Marvel Superheros is a horrible system. Absolutely unbalanced, abusable, encounters are either cake or unwinnable. It is possibly the best representation of a super-hero game out there and it is entirely free to play now. The character creation is quick and easy, the rules are light and bendable, and it has a huge amount of fan spun content for just about every super-hero or villan in existance. It is by far the easiest system I know of to break and that makes it very fun for the imaginative.

Starwars Saga is easy. It's kinda proto-4e but still maintains multiclassing and doesn't force a battlemap for damn near every ability. Plus it's got a lot of supplementary material. It's a good choice for a starwars role playing game and it will feel familiar to anyone who has played D&D from 3 to Essentials.

Derin Darkpaw
01-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Nrrrgh I have friends who run D&D campaigns, but every night they host one, I have appointments I can't move (what it is about wednesday nights?) I've sat in on a few sessions that were already in, er, session, and I love the idea of playing a game as a character with a history and motivations that I've come up with on my own. It looks so fun. :<
You definitely should give it a chance. Creating and playing characters is a ton of fun.

It really depends on what you're looking for. My first experience with tabletop was D&D 3.5 and was mostly run straight from the SRD. I gravitate tword Pathfinder and Starwars Saga when I GM because of my familiarity with the d20 system. I love Golarion, which is the default Pathfinder setting and I love Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase.

Eclipse Phase is awesome for pick up IRC games because you are permitted to distribute all Eclipse Phase content so long as it is non-commercial. You can even legally spin your own house-ruled books and they give you all the resources you need to do so. Their PDFs are great, the system is pretty simple mechanically but has a lot of character depth. I fully recommend it if you want some post-cyberpunk Ghost In The Shell type games.

Classic Marvel Superheros is a horrible system. Absolutely unbalanced, abusable, encounters are either cake or unwinnable. It is possibly the best representation of a super-hero game out there and it is entirely free to play now. The character creation is quick and easy, the rules are light and bendable, and it has a huge amount of fan spun content for just about every super-hero or villan in existance. It is by far the easiest system I know of to break and that makes it very fun for the imaginative.
I love how Golarion managed to take so many things from normal D&D that were a joke and make them terrifying. Like goblins are just flat out scary in Golarion. Also the gods are so much cooler. You have to love a setting where some guy became a god on a dare while he was drunk and doesn't even remember how he did it. Also they have some of the best and scariest adventure modules ever. I think it was bit of one called the Rise of the Runelords that I played. We had to go through some haunted house and dear lord it was actually scary.

As for Eclipse Phase I love the setting and how it deals with so many transhumanist issues very well, but their whole universe is just screwed. I mean the name for the game comes from a medical term. The eclipse phase is a part of viral life cycle when the virus has already entered the cell, but before any symptoms have begun to appear.

As for Shadowrun the in game history the setting has accumulated over the years has some really neat stuff in there. Like the whole thing with the insect spirits and Chicago. Then there was Dunkelzahn's will which is just hilarious to read through. Also all the events that lead to the second crash of the matrix are crazy as all heck.

The Marvel Superheroes game I think I played some horrible homebrewed version of that system. The guy didn't even use dice or anything. He just arbitrated every action based on whether or not he though it would succeed, but despite all my complaints with the guy and how he ran the game I still had some great times playing in it.

Rilvor
01-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Honestly D&D games are only as [Adjective] as your DM is. I think that's what ends up burning a lot of potential players, in that what they expected or hoped for and what they got didn't quite match up. There's a lot of ways to play D&D, and it's really a framework that you're supposed to build on and make your own. Playing D&D that isn't homebrew is like...living in a house where the walls are all still Drywall, the floors are wooden boards, and the roof is just sheets of tin.

Derin Darkpaw
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Honestly D&D games are only as [Adjective] as your DM is. I think that's what ends up burning a lot of potential players, in that what they expected or hoped for and what they got didn't quite match up. There's a lot of ways to play D&D, and it's really a framework that you're supposed to build on and make your own. Playing D&D that isn't homebrew is like...living in a house where the walls are all still Drywall, the floors are wooden boards, and the roof is just sheets of tin.

Yes this is very true, but I would add that the group of players you have is also super important. Even if you really enjoy table top role playing you won't have any fun if you hate the group. Also keep in mind the tone of the game and the expectations of the group. If the DM and the majority of the group intend for it to be a more casual game focusing on light role play and one guy makes a super munchkin combat monster with little to no personality its going to make the game less fun for everyone. The same is also true in reverse.

Rilvor
01-06-2014, 04:47 AM
An excellent DM can juggle the game between players interests, goodness knows I've had to do it, but I won't disagree with you in that a gaming group runs all the better when the players all match up strongly. The reality of the matter however is that is extremely uncommon in my experience.

Nevermind if your game is going to introduce more mature concepts like romance, torture, etc. The sad truth is some folks can't be trusted with those.

Tiamat
01-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Personally I keep the mature concepts out. I retain gore and such...but roleplaying romances? Naaah.
I throw the gore into the battles, which I like to keep as short and sharp as possible, unless they're fighting something I've deemed as a "boss" (whether they realize it is or not.)

I like to reward players for being descriptive with their actions, especially combat based ones.

Krespo
01-07-2014, 02:03 AM
I've played D&D maybe three times over the years with my friends. I have to admit, it was a really fun way to spend a day. First time I played they made me be dungeon master, I didnt enjoy it :s

Recently I've been reading up on Shadowrun! I love the setting and am thinking about getting some of the novels to read. Playing the game might be difficult, my circle of friends becomes very international for most of the year.

Rilvor
01-07-2014, 02:37 AM
I've played D&D maybe three times over the years with my friends. I have to admit, it was a really fun way to spend a day. First time I played they made me be dungeon master, I didnt enjoy it :s

Recently I've been reading up on Shadowrun! I love the setting and am thinking about getting some of the novels to read. Playing the game might be difficult, my circle of friends becomes very international for most of the year.

I love Shadowrun, but it is a game that requires a careful touch. It is notoriously easy to get killed in SR.

Krespo
01-07-2014, 05:06 AM
I love Shadowrun, but it is a game that requires a careful touch. It is notoriously easy to get killed in SR.

Well I was hoping for something that required more thought than 'kill everything'. Shadowrun is something I'd really like to learn more about, there's just so much about it I find appealing. Do you have any recommendations on where to start?

Derin Darkpaw
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Sorry about your friends trying to make you DM for your first time playing. DMing tends to require a lot more experience then simply playing. As for the group being international it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Me and friends run a game every week where the DM and at least two people call in over skype. Look into a program called maptools too. It can be used to roll dice and as an online battle mat if you game needs one.

Funny because my friend tends to have the opposite reaction to Shadowrun. As in his characters are too good and don't die from anything resembling a reasonable threat. Literally one time his friends where trying to come up with a plan to break into this lab and steal some chemicals and he just got bored. So he punched his way in through a wall, began scooping everything from the shelves into a large bag, simply ignored all of the security guards as their bullets just bounced off of him, and then walked out and got into the getaway car.

Rilvor
01-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Well I was hoping for something that required more thought than 'kill everything'. Shadowrun is something I'd really like to learn more about, there's just so much about it I find appealing. Do you have any recommendations on where to start?
Try starting with Shadowrun 4th edition. It has quite a lot of nice supplements (Unwired, Street Magic, Runner's Companion, Arsenal, and Augmentation are must-haves) to play with as well. It's a very polished game, but it takes some time to learn.

So he punched his way in through a wall, began scooping everything from the shelves into a large bag, simply ignored all of the security guards as their bullets just bounced off of him, and then walked out and got into the getaway car.

This kind of situation is the GM's fault for not understanding the player's abilities, and not having appropriate repercussions for actions. Cybersecurity and Magisecurity are a thing, and believe you me no metal and meat character is going to stop a Spirit with Immunity to Normal Weapons. Or a security spider possessing a swarm of security drones.

Or goodness, maybe the stolen items had RFID Tags hidden in them and now the runners are screwed as the fury of a Corporation comes down full force.

Or this could be a case of a GM letting a player have items they shouldn't. I've seen a player allowed to have Military Grade armor, and while that is easily worked around it can still cause a disturbance in gameplay.

That's what makes SR so interesting; There is no amount of preparation any runner group can do that will protect them from everything. At least, if your GM is familiar with everything and sets the level of paranoia that is Cyberpunk.

Krespo
01-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Sorry about your friends trying to make you DM for your first time playing. DMing tends to require a lot more experience then simply playing. As for the group being international it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Me and friends run a game every week where the DM and at least two people call in over skype. Look into a program called maptools too. It can be used to roll dice and as an online battle mat if you game needs one.

I did enjoy doing my fancy narrator voice c:

It's not just the international thing though, it's everyone finding the time to sit down and do the same thing for several hours. Careful planning is needed oh mai yes. But thanks for telling me about maptools! It might make everything easier.

Try starting with Shadowrun 4th edition. It has quite a lot of nice supplements (Unwired, Street Magic, Runner's Companion, Arsenal, and Augmentation are must-haves) to play with as well. It's a very polished game, but it takes some time to learn.

Thank you kindly, Mr. Midnight. Now hopefully I can win my friends over, but I'm sure there's plenty of online communities willing to play.

Rilvor
01-08-2014, 04:56 AM
Glad to be of service and introduce someone new to Shadowrun.

Remember, fear and paranoia are your greatest tools.

Tiamat
01-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Glad to be of service and introduce someone new to Shadowrun.

Remember, fear and paranoia are your greatest tools.

I've actually been looking at d20 modern and future as a Cyberpunk type world with weird creatures in it. Ever played it?

Rilvor
01-08-2014, 05:54 AM
I've actually been looking at d20 modern and future as a Cyberpunk type world with weird creatures in it. Ever played it?

I don't think so. I recall a friend trying to introduce us to one of those with a theme on fighter pilots but he never picked it up again.

Derin Darkpaw
01-08-2014, 12:16 PM

This kind of situation is the GM's fault for not understanding the player's abilities, and not having appropriate repercussions for actions. Cybersecurity and Magisecurity are a thing, and believe you me no metal and meat character is going to stop a Spirit with Immunity to Normal Weapons. Or a security spider possessing a swarm of security drones.

Or goodness, maybe the stolen items had RFID Tags hidden in them and now the runners are screwed as the fury of a Corporation comes down full force.

Or this could be a case of a GM letting a player have items they shouldn't. I've seen a player allowed to have Military Grade armor, and while that is easily worked around it can still cause a disturbance in gameplay.

That's what makes SR so interesting; There is no amount of preparation any runner group can do that will protect them from everything. At least, if your GM is familiar with everything and sets the level of paranoia that is Cyberpunk.

Oh no he could punch spirits because he was a mystic adept also no swarm of drones would be able to hurt him he was just too damn resistant to damage. The character was so physically tough he once survived having an entire parking garage dropped on his head. He had counterspelling to protect him from mages. Also none of his gear was high level he just had basic body armor. The only thing crazy he had was a massive cornucopia of drugs and most of that he got from beating up Halloweeners and eventually Lonestar officers.

He did eventually die though. It involved the combined effort of a large number of mages, a team of swat officers, several snipers, and 2 actual honest to god combat cyborgs. By combat cyborgs I mean the things which are just a human brain hook directly into a military grade combat robot. Which are terrifying because they can't be hacked because they are a human brain not connected to the Matrix and the organic brain can't be targeted by magic because its encased in an entire inorganic shell. He took out of one of the cyborgs then one mage got lucky, beat his counterspelling, and managed to dissolve his armor. After that attacks started to be able to eventually do damage to him and he died from attrition.

Rilvor
01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
The character was so physically tough he once survived having an entire parking garage dropped on his head.
This sort of cartoonish thing passing is why I have a very hard time trusting unfamiliar Dungeon Masters/Game Masters.

Derin Darkpaw
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
This sort of cartoonish thing passing is why I have a very hard time trusting unfamiliar Dungeon Masters/Game Masters.

One that all depends on the tone that is intended for the game. Two the rules state how much damage these things can do and there are also rules for how much damage characters can take. You are dealing in a setting where magic can literally turn organic matter into goo or make flesh harder then titanium you have to be willing to suspend disbelief somewhere.

Rilvor
01-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Where in Shadowrun are there rules for how much damage a parking garage deals? I would be interested to see that for my own purposes. Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm imagining you know, a building.

What do you mean by rules for how much damage a character can take, exactly? You are allowed a chance to avoid with Reaction in the case of ranged combat, Reaction + Dodge/Parry/Gymnastics for melee along with a damage resistance test depending on whether damage is Lethal or Stun. But there are some things a GM should draw the line on, and one of them is a character having a building dropped on top of them.

Edit: I mean I guess if your game is entirely Pink Mohawk then it really doesn't matter, that is the sort of thing some folks enjoy. But in that case that may be why your friends don't see SR as a quick and deadly game like it typically is.

It kind of serves to emphasize why I don't trust GMs I don't know. I've had a lot of experiences with games like this with PUGs.

Edit2: Here's something fun for all of you folks to read: It's called the Shadowrun C.L.U.E. files

"Over the course of my gaming history, I have been continually amazed at the ridiculous, bizarre, and at times downright hilarious situations gamers get their PC's into. Here in the archives of C.L.U.E. you will find the 'worst of the worst' stories sent to C.L.U.E. (accompanied by moans of disbelief and despair) by GMs and players around the globe. "

http://web.archive.org/web/20061206051637/http://archive.dumpshock.com/CLUE/index.php3

Derin Darkpaw
01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Where in Shadowrun are there rules for how much damage a parking garage deals? I would be interested to see that for my own purposes. Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm imagining you know, a building.

What do you mean by rules for how much damage a character can take, exactly? You are allowed a chance to avoid with Reaction in the case of ranged combat, Reaction + Dodge/Parry/Gymnastics for melee along with a damage resistance test depending on whether damage is Lethal or Stun. But there are some things a GM should draw the line on, and one of them is a character having a building dropped on top of them.

Edit: I mean I guess if your game is entirely Pink Mohawk then it really doesn't matter, that is the sort of thing some folks enjoy. But in that case that may be why your friends don't see SR as a quick and deadly game like it typically is.

It kind of serves to emphasize why I don't trust GMs I don't know. I've had a lot of experiences with games like this with PUGs.

Edit2: Here's something fun for all of you folks to read: It's called the Shadowrun C.L.U.E. files

"Over the course of my gaming history, I have been continually amazed at the ridiculous, bizarre, and at times downright hilarious situations gamers get their PC's into. Here in the archives of C.L.U.E. you will find the 'worst of the worst' stories sent to C.L.U.E. (accompanied by moans of disbelief and despair) by GMs and players around the globe. "

http://web.archive.org/web/20061206051637/http://archive.dumpshock.com/CLUE/index.php3

Honestly that site and your comments right now just make it sound like you are upset that any one might dare to play a game you enjoy differently then you. Shadowrun is honestly only quick and deadly if either the GM is actively trying to kill the party at every turn or the players don't understand how to competently build strong characters The parking garage example was extreme, but it doesn't stop the fact that without any bizarre equipment characters can easily get to the point where either most bullets bounce of their skin or the overwhelming majority of threats can't even touch them. Regular people often survive buildings collapsing on them if they are lucky. Why wouldn't a character who can take a rocket launcher to his face not have a chance of surviving.

Edit: I would love to continue this conversation Rilvor, but I am concerned we might be derailing this thread. Why don't we take this to PMs?

Rilvor
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm actually just going to let it go, I realize now that I let what my bombastic speech get the better of me and give you the wrong impression. I apologize if what I said came across as Butthurt D/GM syndrome, it's far from it.

You and I take different approaches to a highly customizable game, it's as simple as that.

Derin Darkpaw
01-10-2014, 02:20 AM
I'm actually just going to let it go, I realize now that I let what my bombastic speech get the better of me and give you the wrong impression. I apologize if what I said came across as Butthurt D/GM syndrome, it's far from it.

You and I take different approaches to a highly customizable game, it's as simple as that.

I am glad we came to an understanding and I think this whole argument illustrates one of the greatest things about roleplaying games. That you can ultimately tailor any game, system, or setting to fit the desires of the group playing it. As long as everyone at the table is having a good time or telling an engaging story you aren't doing it wrong.

Blue Valour
01-11-2014, 12:08 PM
The ones I've enjoyed a lot were Dungeons and Dragons 4e, Call of Cthulhu 6th ed, Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Talisman, Magic the Gathering, Munchkin and the Monopoly card game.

I own a lot of D&D 4e books (wish I had the time and the players to use them all), I have a small collection of old Magic cards plus a Gruul red/green deck that I love. I also have some D&D 1e, 2e and the Monopoly card game.

I look forward to playing D&D Next and learning how to use roll20.net as the virtual table. I'd also like to try out other card games that have been made from board games like Monopoly.

Digitalpotato
01-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I'd play more tabletop games if there were groups out here. :/

My experiences with tabletop groups were largely negative.

Dire Newt
01-18-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm currently running a D&D 3.5 campaign and playing in a 4e campaign.

I wish I was playing Pathfinder.

Infestissumam
01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Since I have no friends irl I have to do tabletop gaming over Skype. The most recent games I've done is a Fallout: Equestria-themed one, and a mostly Mario-inspired Arpeggio game.

TiaLeopard
01-19-2014, 08:30 PM
I've played Pandemic, Gloom, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Inferno, Fluxx, Forbidden Island and Werewolf.

Played them at the tabletop games room at Confuzzled '13 :3

Kirpet
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
I really do love table-top gaming, especially when you've got an awesome group of people to play with. Unfortunately all my games are currently collecting dust as I've yet to meet up with anyone where I'm am that shares my affinity for such games. Even more unfortunate I've never played D&D I have however played Call of Cthulhu and Dungeon Crawl Classics once. I was/am in no way truly competent as the what the heck I was doing during either of those games but I did have tons of fun, lol.

My TTGs include:

Prophecy
Killer Bunnies (Magic Carrot): Blue + Red expansion.
Carcassonne
Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Pirateology
Tannhäuser
Stargate SG-1
Battlestar Galactica
Cards Against Humanity
Scattergories
Star Wars Monopoly

Then of course I have your more basic games: Operation, Life, Scrabble, Bioviva, other editions on Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune. I also have a few MTG decks that I haven't used in forever and tons of Pokemon TCG cards/decks.

Bark
01-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Over the past few months I've been getting more into tabletop gaming. It kind of started with painting miniatures for fun. Other than that I've started getting things to play with my boyfriend to break the loop of just playing PC or console games.

So far I've gotten:

Mice and Mystics Really fun with a relatively cute story. Also harder than it lets on. Or maybe we're just bad at it :v It has adorable miniatures that I've painted.
Zombicide Super fun as well. Comes with a ton of zombie miniatures and it sure as hell makes use of them.
Smash Up We've only played it once so far. Seems like it would be a lot more fun with more people.
Game of Thrones Living Card Game Fun, frustrating. Makes me hate my boyfriend sometime. Cards are stupid fun to collect.

Owleyes
01-23-2014, 05:01 AM
I don't play anything like D&D as I'm not much of a roleplaying kind of person

I do love Magic the Gathering, though I lack friends IRL to play with

Derin Darkpaw
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
For those who say they can't find anyone near them to play tabletop games with here is some advice. First a good place to look is a local comic book store. There tends to be a lot of overlap between people who enjoy comic books and people who like playing games. The second best place would be a college near by. Chances are the college has either an official or unofficial group of people that play some variety of table top games. Barring either of those if you are looking to play D&D, or other tabletop RPGs, there are a whole bunch of people willing to play over the internet. A quick search should bring up sites of people looking to play.

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
I miss gathering a big group of friends to play Risk for a night.
That was a lot of fun

Derin Darkpaw
01-24-2014, 09:02 PM
I miss gathering a big group of friends to play Risk for a night.
That was a lot of fun

If you liked Risk you should check out Risk Legacy. Its the same basic rules as the normal game, but with the very interesting twist of decisions and the outcome of one game affecting all future games. Locations on the board get wipe out or polluted, cities are founded, and new cards are added or old ones removed. Its a really interesting concept and the first of its kind in modern board games.

Owleyes
01-25-2014, 03:39 AM
For those who say they can't find anyone near them to play tabletop games with here is some advice. First a good place to look is a local comic book store. There tends to be a lot of overlap between people who enjoy comic books and people who like playing games. The second best place would be a college near by. Chances are the college has either an official or unofficial group of people that play some variety of table top games. Barring either of those if you are looking to play D&D, or other tabletop RPGs, there are a whole bunch of people willing to play over the internet. A quick search should bring up sites of people looking to play.

I went to a local card shop to play, but the atmosphere there is...well, it's like a stranger hopping into a group of best friends and trying to seamlessly merge into the group's conversations. They don't seem interested in talking to anyone they don't know, so you either have to show up with multiple people or just enjoy a few sentence exchanges before they go talk to someone they know.

Might have been just a bad shop, but I was going there weekly for a few months and I was always met with the same results