PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Select by username

foxboyprower
11-02-2012, 12:39 AM
There's something that happens to me on every single art site I use. I'll find a bunch of cool artists and friends, I watch them, then real life gets in the way. It all happens to us. We get busy and come back to the website after relatively long period of time, and we have a huge stack of submission alerts to look through.
I happen to be a person who feels obligated to comment on at least a good percentage of submissions from my friends. So I have to go through the alerts and manually select the ones my friends have made, then use "invert selection" and "remove checked". This process takes a while to do and is pretty annoying.
Some might say that I shouldn't watch the other artists if I don't want to see their work, but I do like to see their work, I just don't want to sift through massive amounts of it when I don't feel obligated to give them a comment.
It would be very helpful if there was some sort of option to select all submissions submitted by certain users than you specify. Something to help easily separate submissions from my friends and the ones from popular artists.
It's not that big of a deal to me, but I just wanted to put it out there because it would be cool to see this in the future.

Unburnt Daenerys
11-02-2012, 09:16 AM
There is a way to unwatch everything posted by an artist while still following them:
http://gyazo.com/bfd5285209115c7cb9516a13bcf17272

You'd have to set it for each individual artist though.

foxboyprower
11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
uh... Not exactly what I had in mind. At least that will be handy to filter out journals I don't care to see. But I was wanting something that would delete all the submission notifications for certain artists. But I tend to watch more talented artists that I don't talk to than the number of friends I watch. So it would be nice to be able to distinguish my friends in my watchlist from the artists I just watch.

Kihari
11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
You should be able to use the search page to find submissions within your notifications by specific users. The "within notifications" part is a dropdown on the left side; to search by users, type user:foxboyprower user:kihari etc. in the search bar.

foxboyprower
11-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I figured out how to do that just for searching. That's handy to find their work, but I don't see a tool to delete all of there submissions from my alerts with that method. I was hoping for a method to select all the submissions from specific users so I could delete them or use "invert selection" then delete everything else. It would help manage my alerts.

Temrin
11-02-2012, 09:09 PM
I have not seen any other site with this kind of function and i could see it getting quite complicated to implement just based on the fact that you'd have to retrieve a lot of database information dependent on that particular user and whats in their inbox. It would however, be neat it perhaps uploads by people on your friends list could have another colour to them (like how mature has the red line at the bottom. Perhaps adding a specific friend colour to the other side?) This way if you are looking for friend related stuff you could see it in the inbox and find what you are looking for and then when you are done, just select all (invert) and delete all submissions after you've looked at that page. At least, thats what i do. I go through what i want to go through on that page, then select all/invert and get rid of that page because its now been viewed.

foxboyprower
11-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah. Maybe a separate watchlist or something to distinguish them... and select all of one list at once.

foxboyprower
11-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh! I just recall a website that has a similar function! DeviantArt arranges new submissions in terms of the submitting artist. Instead of showing all submissions, it shows an icon for each artist that has uploaded new stuff. Each icon opens up the list of their submissions that you have not removed from your alerts yet. It's an elegant system, and one I'm sure you all have seen.