PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Odd formatting error with Stories submitted with Compose

Ndro
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I've just used Compose to submit this story here (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/27297) (where the text was copy-pasted from a .txt) and for some reason the text which I switched into italics with Compose (as opposed to in the source file) is appearing white as well, making it appear as if there are large gaps in the text. It hasn't lost the text at all, just changed the colour at random, and it can still be highlighted to read meaning it's not a serious issue, just annoying.

I have submitted the piece twice, and the second time around I actually used Compose's colour picker to make sure the entire body of text was the same colour and yet it happened again. Could this possibly be some kind of problem with either Compose or the page formatting?

Any assistance would be great, thanks :)

chipotle
11-03-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm also seeing this -- and also did exactly what Ndro did with respect to the color picker.

It would be extremely useful if you either supported BBCode in uploaded text files, the way Fur Affinity does -- which shouldn't be wildly difficult (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bbcode/1.0.6) -- or you enabled the ability to paste in straight HTML into your WYSIWYG editor the way SoFurry does (click "text mode"). As it is, there's no way to upload formatted text at all, making that useless for those of us who occasionally like to use italics, and your Composer is... well, Strange Things frequently happen when I try to paste rich text into it. It displays correctly, until I hit "Save Progress," at which point it magically puts blank lines between each paragraph even if there are already blank lines between paragraph. Also, it doesn't correctly handle UTF-8 characters, which is a little frustrating -- but not nearly as frustrating as having it magically turn italics into white text. I'm almost wondering if that latter one is an issue with your CSS.

Thistle
11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
It would be extremely useful if you either supported BBCode in uploaded text files, the way Fur Affinity does

BBCode has worked fine in the .txt I've uploaded. I haven't tried changes in color or font size, but italics and center and right align have shown up without issue.

chipotle
11-03-2012, 02:58 PM
BBCode has worked fine in the .txt I've uploaded. I haven't tried changes in color or font size, but italics and center and right align have shown up without issue.

When I uploaded a text file with BBCode using the "Submit" link, the result was unformatted text showing the BBCode markup characters. Did you do that, or did you past the text file into the Compose editor?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm almost wondering if that latter one is an issue with your CSS.

It looks like this is indeed the problem: specifically, the style rule in public.css at line 224 for "#header-user i, .stage i" that sets the color of italics to #ddd appears to be being picked up here, making all the italics invisible. If I disable this rule in Safari's web inspector then the text works correctly.

At least it's an easy fix!

Thistle
11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
When I uploaded a text file with BBCode using the "Submit" link, the result was unformatted text showing the BBCode markup characters. Did you do that, or did you past the text file into the Compose editor?

I uploaded the file itself, through Submit.

Kihari
11-04-2012, 03:09 AM
OP, were you attempting to paste the content from another source (perhaps Word) into the Compose editor? The editor seems to take issue with that, as it was intended for unformatted content be typed into it and formatted there, and not before.

Also, re BBCode, we currently support this for uploaded TXT files; if the BBCode did not parse then this is unexpected behavior, and please link such to us so that we can investigate.

Ndro
11-04-2012, 07:16 AM
OP, were you attempting to paste the content from another source (perhaps Word) into the Compose editor? The editor seems to take issue with that, as it was intended for unformatted content be typed into it and formatted there, and not before.
It was essentially unformatted. Beyond some unicode glyphs (the ) and indentation there was nothing unusual in the .txt I copied from (I copied from OSX's text editor). All the problem italicising was done using the Compose WYSIWYG editor.

chipotle
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, this is a text file with BBCode that I uploaded:

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/32812

It's just displaying the BBCode markup codes for me, not actually interpreting them.

(This also shows the apparent problem with UTF-8 text I mentioned. As far as I know, the text file I've created is using UTF-8 encoding, but and characters are showing up borked. And, I'd really encourage you to look at the CSS I mentioned, as I'm pretty sure it's the source of the problem the OP is reporting.)

chipotle
11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Follow-up: I've isolated both issues.

Your BBCode parser is case sensitive, and should not be: {i}Italics{/i} and {I}Italics{/I} should both work, but the parser you've got for parsing uploaded files only works with lowercase. The file I uploaded (originally) had uppercase BBCode markup elements in it. (I used {} here instead of [] to escape them.)
However, your BBCode parser doesn't trigger the "invisible" italics because it generates <em> elements for italic text, while your WYSIWYG editor generates <i> elements. The <i> elements have the broken CSS rule I described above.

And there's still the UTF-8 encoding bug somewhere. :)

chipotle
11-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Was this fix part of the most recent round of updates?

catalepsy
11-25-2012, 11:57 PM
No. The last round of updates consisted of infrastructure realignment.

Ndro
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Though the invisible italics thing has been fixed, can't say for certain if special characters have been too, but I was able to use a straight into Compose, so not sure where that issue lies.

chipotle
12-01-2012, 04:00 AM
The invisible italics was the most annoying issue -- the other weirdness I can generally work around. :) But it's mostly a matter of just reporting it; the case sensitivity of the BBCode should be an easy fix.

weykent
01-13-2013, 02:32 AM
problems with "special characters" should be generally fixed on literary submissions now. please open a new thread if there are any further problems.