PDA

View Full Version : Collections and Profile Pages

BigFatFae
10-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Profile pages are the pages that come up first when you go to a person's page. They show off what a person is about.

In FA, multiple submissions were common because people wanted to share their commissioned work on their own page, because while they may not have done the artistic legwork, the character still represents them.

I like collections as an idea, it helps to keep things organized and diminishes doubleposts. However, there is one large problem: They (and characters) do not appear on your profile page. And so, all anyone will ever see is a blank profile page.

While the site certainly needs to cater to artists first and foremost, part of that is creating a scene that non-artists don't feel absolutely discluded by. Artists use sites like this because they like to have interactions with fans, and fans are less likely to create an account or maintain an account if they can't show off their characters. Clearly marking a person as a non-artist isn't a problem, but I feel it's important to allow commissioners to show off their commissions front and center.

Artists are incredibly important, but part of making artists happy is allowing them to have a thriving fanbase.

Temrin
10-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Having character and collections viewable ont he front page has already been suggested a few times. : )

Also, not all artists are going to be here, so just because there are a collections feature doesnt mean you cannot upload things to your own folders.

BigFatFae
10-31-2012, 09:26 PM
I hadn't noticed that at first, heh. But yah, as for the comment on collections, that still leaves you with a lot of your commissions that can't be displayed if the bigger name artists come over. And really, it's always better to plan for the long term, assume that most/all artists will pop over.

But even if they don't, I'd rather be able to have ALL of my commissions visible from the front page, or my favorites, or whatever. It just works better.

Temrin
10-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I do agree