PDA

View Full Version : Tagging and You

Term
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello Everyone!

The staff of Weasyl have heard some of your concerns about the tagging system and what that means for the users, so we are here to provide an introductory guide to the Weasyl tagging system. This guide is for those that have never used a tag system before, or anyone that wants to better understand tagging on Weasyl and how users can help to make the site a more enjoyable experience for the whole community.

WHAT IS TAGGING?

Tagging your work means to input key phrases to define the content you're uploading to the site which allows it to be highlighted when someone performs a search. Tagging is done by typing those phrases into the "Tag Box" when submitting or when viewing submissions. As with other sites, we strive to be as specific as possible with tags to ensure efficient and relevant results when searching for content.

WHY IS TAGGING IMPORTANT?

Tagging helps with searching and filtering content. By accurately tagging your submission, other users can discover your work when they search for relevant terms. Weasyl caters to artists from all walks of life with discriminating tastes in styles, genres, and mediums. As such, there will be certain things that members of our community may want to specifically browse for or eliminate from their searches. Helping people find your work is just as important to the community as it is helping people to find other people's work without being cluttered with irrelevant submissions. This can only happen if we all do our part to tag our work.

HOW DO I TAG MY WORK?

A quick reference guide on how to tag your work in the most effective way possible can be found by going to https://www.weasyl.com/help/tagging. Please review this helpful guide and call upon it for any questions you may have on how to tag your work.

WHAT IF I TAG SOMETHING INCORRECTLY OR AM NOT SURE HOW TO TAG A SUBMISSION I UPLOADED?

That's okay! If something is tagged incorrectly that you as the artist notice, you can edit or add to the tags yourself at any time. If you're unsure of whether or not a tag is relevant to a submission, make sure to leave your tagging settings open for members of the community to help you with relevant terms or refer to the tagging guide for help.

WHAT IF I ONLY USE ONE TAG TO SUBMIT MY WORK?

If a submission is found to not be tagged significantly, staff may contact you about your submission and ask why it wasn't tagged. Staff may also take it upon themselves to tag your submission with what they feel is appropriate, but please do not rely on staff to do your tagging for you. Weasyl is striving to make this a welcome community for all artists and appreciators of art. By not tagging your work effectively with at least three tags, you potentially hurt another user's experience. We all should do our part to ensure that we can all enjoy the site for what we want it to be to us.

WHAT IF I FIND A USER HASN'T TAGGED THEIR WORK CORRECTLY?

If a user hasn't tagged their work and doesn't give the community permission to edit their tags, please report the submission so that staff may handle the issue. Do not attempt to contact the user about the tagging system. Allow staff to contact the user to explain the tagging policies. Please remember, if you are able to edit tags, attempt to add the relevant tags yourself. Only contact staff if you are unable to add or edit the relevant tags.

I OPENED MY SUBMISSIONS UP FOR TAGGING BY THE COMMUNITY BUT SOMEONE IS TAGGING MY WORK INAPPROPRIATELY. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Report the submission or one of the submissions in question and let us know about the issue. Remember you can always edit the tags on your own work, but if this becomes a habitual problem we the staff will take appropriate action to resolve the issue.

WHAT ABOUT JOKE TAGS? ARE THEY OKAY?

The purpose of the tagging system is to help filter work and put to the forefront the most relevant content for any given submission. "Joke Tags" or tags which are statements to viewers or generally aren't descriptive of the work but made to convey humor are almost never relevant as other users will likely not search for your work based on such tags. While not against the rules, we ask that you please consider this before posting "Joke Tags".

If you have any further questions about the tagging system, please feel free to post on our Forums. (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/forum.php) Thank you for taking the time to learn more about the Tagging System!

Thank you!

- The Weasyl Team.

Teahound
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm still not a fan of others - even staff - being able to tag my stuff. Contact me to have me do it, sure, but just doing it for me? Feels a little intrusive. *shrug* Just my $0.02.

Temrin
10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
@Teahound a lot of people dont want to be noted about it and just want people to do it. So there are mixed views on this.

Perhaps as a suggestion to mods, being able to choose a notice on your art that will display above the tags section? Like "Dont add any tags please" or "Feel free to add extra tags!" because some people want it, and some people dont. : ) At least then people will know what the artist wants instead of people getting into arguments n stuff about it.

Teahound
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
@Temrin I actually REALLY like that idea. Like a checkbox saying 'allow tags to be added'?

Temrin
10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, having more options for it have been suggested before. People have asked for more options like being able to choose if people can add or not, etc. The only current option in the settings is " Prevent other users from removing tags I place on my content " which i don't think is enough, but the thing is, the tag system wont function properly if everyone prevents others from fixing missing tags, etc right? So i dont know which way it should go.

I just meant to have the option to put in a message that will appear above the tag section to dictate what the artist wants to happen. Like i dont mind people adding tags to mine as long as i get notification (which has been suggested as well, to get a notification in your inbox when someone adds a tag). The ability to approve or deny tag additions would be fantastic too! I do hope it get elaborated somehow, just having more options i think will satisfy the masses : )

Cybercat
10-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't feel comfortable with letting anyone but staff or myself adding tags. There's too much potential for abuse there I think. Maybe a 'suggestion for tags' rather than letting it be automatically added.

RX-149Dragonite
10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I like this

This is nice

Taw
10-30-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't feel comfortable with letting anyone but staff or myself adding tags. There's too much potential for abuse there I think. Maybe a 'suggestion for tags' rather than letting it be automatically added.

If people abuse the ability to tag others work we can revoke their tagging permissions. We're definitely looking into ideas for how to improve, and if it hasn't been suggested already (We have a common suggestions list available here: http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1003-Common-Suggestions-List ) feel free to bring post it there!

Swanda
10-30-2012, 03:43 AM
If people abuse the ability to tag others work we can revoke their tagging permissions. We're definitely looking into ideas for how to improve, and if it hasn't been suggested already (We have a common suggestions list available here: http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1003-Common-Suggestions-List ) feel free to bring post it there!

But how will we know that someone is putting the wrong or maybe even mean tags on our art, if we are not noted about tags being added.. Especially if you have 50+ submissions?
I wouldn't have the time to check through all my art all the time for bad tags.

I think that getting a notification about a tag being added would be best, and the ability to deny or accept it form your inbox, would be a nice addition.
Of cause this would mean quite a few tag notifications in the inbox of people who tag poorly, but maybe that would help them understand what tags are needed for different types of art?

Dunno, I love the idea of others being able to add tags for me when I haven't done it right myself, but I would like to have some sort of control over it. As the submitter I like to be in control of what happens on my submissions.

Eskiworks
10-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I am also personally not comfortable with other members tagging my images for me. The potential for abuse is HUGE, and it seems like it opens up a moderating nightmare for staff, and for people who are trying to maintain the tags in their gallery. I went ahead and posted it in the common suggestions list per Taw's recommendation! =3

foxboyprower
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
I was just about to create a forum thread about this, but everything I was going to suggest has already been said here.
Mainly
- The ability for an artist to choose if they will allow users to add tags
- A slight separation or distinction between tags added by users and the artist, "suggested tags"

The issues of large galleries having the potential for tag abuse have already been brought up. So... yeah. Wow the community here is very thoughtful and helpful. I don't have anything new to say here.

Amber-Aria
11-02-2012, 01:22 PM
The tagging reference guide is a useful little thing, but even though it looks like it's connected to the Help page on the Weasyl website, there's no link to it under the Help Topics there, and it seems to be only accessible from the link here... I find that a little odd.

Ceowolf
11-02-2012, 09:33 PM
personally i think additional tags by other users can be "suggested" and you would receive a notification for it to which you can approve. in that it alows people to inform the user that there are other tags that they could be using, and its unintrusive making it not free reign.

Michael_Ezaiany
11-03-2012, 01:10 PM
The solution is obvious - incorporate full free tag editing but make it a Premium account feature. That should weed out the trolls quite a bit because I doubt someone would risk getting banned or taglocked or however else punished on an account they paid money for. And for tracking the abuse that does happen, it would be a nice thing to have a little notification page showing tag changes.

I'm obviously not a fan of artists locking their tags because I've seen too many of them either not giving a damn about how they tag or just not knowing how to. Tags used as extra description, joke tags, not linking words together with underscores resulting in "broken like one tags this", ignoring tagging rules and whining about them is a frequent sight too.

Think for a moment. Is the fear of being targeted by someone and having all your tags screwed up on purpose really what's driving you? Or is it the feeling of violation if someone else dares to touch the tags on your picture? Artists don't own tags, tags are here to make looking for stuff easier.

And for the record, my tags are not locked. You're all free to edit them as much as you like, provided you follow the rules. I'm not perfect so it's not a surprise if I miss a tag or two.

Eskiworks
11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Think for a moment. Is the fear of being targeted by someone and having all your tags screwed up on purpose really what's driving you? Or is it the feeling of violation if someone else dares to touch the tags on your picture?

This isn't an ego thing, let's be clear. I don't want people tagging my images for me because they could tag them wrong, or add abusive tags. I've already had to remove about a dozen incorrect tags from my gallery, and one joke tag. And this site is still in beta! I'm not looking forward to moderating my gallery's tags once the site goes alpha if it stays this way. There needs to be an in between, something like what you suggested or what others have suggested.

Marzipan
11-04-2012, 01:10 AM
I think it's a give-and-take situation, maybe kind of a catch-22. On one hand, it does feel strange to have your stuff tagged with things you didn't necessarily want to equate your work with/didn't think of/etc, and I totally get that as a feeling of invasion on some level. On the other hand, the whole filtering system is based off tags, and people can't properly filter what they want/don't want if artists don't properly tag their submissions.

If someone comes across something they don't want to see - and I'm not just talking NSFW stuff or fetishes, I mean like, if someone didn't want to see fursuits or anthro art - but if artists don't think to mark it, then the person browsing will have it come up all the time anyway. So there's two viable solutions to this sort of thing - bother the staff to tell the artist to tag their stuff, which takes time, or just... cut the middle man out and be able to do it yourself! I think that's sort of the thought-process here.

As someone who's lurked a lot of art boards that have community tagging, I find very little abuse of it - mostly because the people who browse and participate in the community are way too picky about the tags. I guess I just wanted to post the positive sides to having the community tagging system and maybe the thought process to why it's here.

Some good solutions might be to have notices to changes in art tags, so the artist can take off ones that they don't want, or maybe to have it be a choice per submission/account to participate - have it be a two-way thing, like, "don't let people tag my stuff, and opt out of tagging other people's things".

Whew that was wordy... sorry! 'n'

Tiger
11-05-2012, 04:47 PM
The solution is obvious - incorporate full free tag editing but make it a Premium account feature. That should weed out the trolls quite a bit because I doubt someone would risk getting banned or taglocked or however else punished on an account they paid money for. And for tracking the abuse that does happen, it would be a nice thing to have a little notification page showing tag changes.

Eski hit the part about the reason why some people (myself included) don't support the free tag editing, but I do want to respond to this part.

I personally disagree. Just because someone pays for more features on Weasyl does not say anything about their maturity or sense of responsibility. Premium Weasyl members are of all ages (meaning some may be at an age when they are not completely developed in maturity) and even then age does not denote maturity. I have met some hugely immature/irresponsible people in their late 20's or older through some of my college classes. And likewise, I'm sure that a good chunk of the userbase without premium is full of people that are reasonable and truthful when it comes to tagging appropriately.

So I disagree with Premium-only tagging. I do, however, fully agree that a notification page regarding tags added would be a good feature to implement.

Michael_Ezaiany
11-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I personally disagree. Just because someone pays for more features on Weasyl does not say anything about their maturity or sense of responsibility. Premium Weasyl members are of all ages (meaning some may be at an age when they are not completely developed in maturity) and even then age does not denote maturity.

I didn't say Premium members would be more mature. I said they would be less likely to risk taglocking or ban on an account they paid for.

The fun part is that if everybody tagged responsibly we wouldn't need public tag editing. Unfortunately, you just can't trust everyone with tagging their own pictures. The best example would be someone who's name I sadly forgot, but who tagged his submission with "cheetah required_second_tag". I'm not sure about the "cheetah" part, but the more important part was the second tag anyway.

And how many people completely ignore the anthro (or furry) tag I can't even count.

Tiger
11-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I didn't say Premium members would be more mature. I said they would be less likely to risk taglocking or ban on an account they paid for.

Gotchya. I personally don't think that the fact that they pay money for will impact a person's behavior when it comes to being immature about tagging. It's more of an issue with a person's responsibility than them being cautious about losing said money they paid.

It is a valid point, though, and I can understand that people certainly can (and I'm sure some do) have that reasoning. I do still feel, though, that making the ability to add tags a Premium-only feature might not be the best solution for the issue.

Michael_Ezaiany
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I do still feel, though, that making the ability to add tags a Premium-only feature might not be the best solution for the issue.

It would certainly weed out the ones who create an account specifically to tagtroll. Although I guess those kinds of people would be okay with spending a few bucks on what they'd enjoy.

But what would you suggest then?

The problem is that regardless of how they do it, someone's going to whine about it.

If they keep it the way it is now then submissions will inevitably be stuck with bad tags because everybody ticks the little "don't allow deletion of tags" box for god knows what reasons.
If they fully open tag editing for public then a lot of artists will either feel violated or we'll have the classic dispute over which tags are relevant and which ones are not, people whining about getting tags removed/added and so on.
If they keep them locked then we'll all suffer because let's face it, a great deal of people have no idea how to or don't care about tagging properly, see example in post above. And admins will be swamped with tag-related submission reports.

Oh and as for notifications. Yes, they can be a good idea, but have you considered what they might cause? Someone adds/removes a tag and the artist who reads the notification then removes/adds it again and so on and so forth. Although this would probably happen even without notifications.

I don't think there's a simple way to please everyone in this matter. The only right way to do this would be choosing the one that offers greatest efficiency and people will get used to it eventually.

Recel
11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
On the adding tags issue. I say it's ok how it is. You either make your own tags, and risk under tagging or tagging things wrong, and get reported (this is the part that really depends on the community) or you let others tag pictures for you, taking the risk of OTHERS tagging your picture wrong (again, depends on the community). Tagging can be, and will be abused no matter the system it works by. Because the flaw isn't in the tagging system.

Also, some better "education" on tagging could really help. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has no real idea how to tag a picture properly or right. And the "Tags and you" article only seemed to make me realise I tag even worse than I thought.

Temrin
11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
@Recel
Most sites say to "tag what you see"
So like, in your icon for example you would put species, gender and perhaps other things like red_eyes, red_hair, the emotion/expression, that its an icon, characters name perhaps. Maybe even if it was a commission/gift/trade etc. could say spiky hair. furry, anthro, floppy_ears, looking_at_viewer, if you drew it then put your username, etc. : )

But yes, a full page (thats properly linked from the help/FAQ on the main site) with a bit more depth on how to tag would be great :3

Michael_Ezaiany
11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
@Recel
Most sites say to "tag what you see"
So like, in your icon for example you would put species, gender and perhaps other things like red_eyes, red_hair, the emotion/expression, that its an icon, characters name perhaps. Maybe even if it was a commission/gift/trade etc. could say spiky hair. furry, anthro, floppy_ears, looking_at_viewer, if you drew it then put your username, etc. : )

I'm not sure commission/gift status are useful as tags in any way and so is username, seeing as we can put "user:<name>" in the search field to filter results to only from that user. I can see the need for it though, if you're posting someone else's work.

But from what I've seen elsewhere, it's a good practice to tag characters and original artists as some variation of "<name>(character)" and "<name>(artist)".

Temrin
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Of course, i was just stating in general. With weasyl there are gives and takes to it, but for general use of tags, the rules of "tag what you see" is normally the way to go : )

Hlavco
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm fine with anybody tagging anything, but reading the comments here, I think maybe viewer-submitted tags should appear in a different color or section on the page than the artist-submitted tags. That way, the artists who "don't want their art associated with" a certain subject will know that their viewers can see that somebody other than the artist gave their piece a certain tag. The piece can be efficiently searched, and the artist maintains their integrity or whatever you'd call it.

Ketsuban
12-12-2013, 09:04 PM
I think it's worth my time to point out the "anyone can tag" scenario is not untested - Gelbooru and Danbooru have been doing it for years now. As such I can safely say people worrying about abuse are worrying about nothing - so long as people are proactive in fixing bad tagging the Wikipedia effect takes over and you end up with a rough consensus.

That said, Weasyl's tagging system could do with some improvements.

There is no good reason to privilege artist tags over non-artist ones - artists are just as bad at tagging as everyone else. Tagging works if it's a community effort, and protecting artist tags just means nobody can clean up stupid nonsense like what happens on FA or what people have already brought up in this thread.
Weasyl really needs some tools to analyse the tag cloud as a whole. I can't find out for a given tag how many pictures are tagged with it, and I can't search a list of tags, so I can't look for low-incidence tags - those are the ones which tend to be not well-chosen, duplicates of other tags (e.g. large_breasts vs big_breasts) or typos. Gelbooru and Danbooru aren't much better in this regard, but they're better than Weasyl.

e: Other booru features worth stealing are implications, aliases and tag categories. Implications are obvious - lucario and gardevoir both imply pokemon, renamon and agumon both imply digimon. Aliases solve the big_breasts/large_breasts dilemma by letting people tag with either and silently converting one to the other on submit. Tag categories mean certain tags have particular meaning - a tag for a particular character, for example, gets marked as a character tag.

Lloxie
12-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Quick question- figured it was better to post it here rather than make a whole new thread for it. As far as tag filters go, can an asterisk be used for a catchall? For instance, would adding a filter for "hypno*" filter out everything with a tag that starts with "hypno" or would I have to make separate filters for "hypnosis", "hypnotize", etc.?

Lloxie
12-22-2013, 12:06 AM
...anyone?

Fiz
12-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Quick question- figured it was better to post it here rather than make a whole new thread for it. As far as tag filters go, can an asterisk be used for a catchall? For instance, would adding a filter for "hypno*" filter out everything with a tag that starts with "hypno" or would I have to make separate filters for "hypnosis", "hypnotize", etc.?

Sorry. No, it doesn't work that way.

Lloxie
12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Damn, that sucks. Ah well, thanks for the response! You might want to add something about that in the tagging help section/FAQ, by the way. ^^; As it is, it's very informative for uploaders but not very helpful to people on the other side of things, using them for searches and filters. For example, another question I had is: how do you search for multiple tags? (as in, submissions with ALL search terms, not just any of them?) Are AND/& searches currently supported, etc.?

Kihari
12-23-2013, 01:46 AM
another question I had is: how do you search for multiple tags? (as in, submissions with ALL search terms, not just any of them?) Are AND/& searches currently supported, etc.?

While the default behavior is a logical OR, logical AND and NOT can also be applied among tags with the + and - prefixes, as in

cat dog +fluffy +mammal -fish

which translates to

(cat or dog) and fluffy and mammal and not fish

You can also specify usernames, both inclusively and exclusively, as in

user:MyFavoriteArtist

-user:IHateThatGuy

This was once upon a time discussed in a tumblr post that I will totally get around to converting into a proper help topic one of these days.

Rico
12-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Small request when it comes to tagging: is there any way to put similar tags on the same blacklisted word? For example, I have "rape" blacklisted, but I get a lot of stuff that's tagged "noncon" and "dubcon" and "forced_sex" and the like. Do I just have to blacklist those all individually? I would add the tags but I can't actually be on/look at rape pictures without feeling really sick. >_<

Lloxie
12-23-2013, 01:42 PM
While the default behavior is a logical OR, logical AND and NOT can also be applied among tags with the + and - prefixes, as in

which translates to

You can also specify usernames, both inclusively and exclusively, as in

This was once upon a time discussed in a tumblr post that I will totally get around to converting into a proper help topic one of these days.

Ah, excellent, thanks for the info! This is very helpful. =3

-edit- ...d'oh. Looks like only one layer of quotes is allowed. >< Damn.

Small request when it comes to tagging: is there any way to put similar tags on the same blacklisted word? For example, I have "rape" blacklisted, but I get a lot of stuff that's tagged "noncon" and "dubcon" and "forced_sex" and the like. Do I just have to blacklist those all individually? I would add the tags but I can't actually be on/look at rape pictures without feeling really sick. >_<

Sadly as I understand it, you will. (This is similar to a question I asked on the previous page, heh) It'd be great if the site could implement an alias system like on various *booru-style image boards (and e621 etc.), though I understand that might be a bit complicated and take some serious work. For now though, you'll have to add every synonymous tag you can think of for something you want to avoid. I feel your pain, heh. Maybe some folks can work together to compile lists of similar tags to post somewhere for the time being, to help eachother remember words others might not have thought of?

Rico
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Ah well, kinda sucks but I'd be happy to help compile tag lists in the future. c:

lorenith
02-01-2014, 03:36 AM
We could start compiling tags right now if anyone wants to...for whatever reason I don't feel comfortable starting a thread for it "Share your Tags" but I'd be happy to contribute if one where to appear. >.>;;

ShadWolf
02-01-2014, 07:35 PM
You could already easily just guess the commonly used tags from what's already been posted so you wouldn't need to compile a list, just by searching by keywords you have entered in your Submission Title and Submission Description.

lorenith
02-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I already have a pretty robust set of tags, but having a list for other people to refer to (so that they don't have to do the legwork) is a really nice convenience is why I suggested it. It doesn't hurt to create things to make the community more welcoming to newcomers.

notMateo
08-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm still not a fan of others - even staff - being able to tag my stuff. Contact me to have me do it, sure, but just doing it for me? Feels a little intrusive. *shrug* Just my $0.02.

Okay, please excuse the fact that I'm replying to the very first reply, first of all.

This is probably one of my favorite things about Weasyl so far. I'm not exactly the type to go around tagging other people's work, but I more than welcome people to tag anything I make.

ganache
08-29-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm never sure what to say about this tagging issue, but the question I always have when tags come up probably leans on the "please don't tag my stuff side", even though at this time I wouldn't be appalled if it happened (to a degree).

But for my own example, I tag minimally or super specifically so my submission will show up in as few searches as possible. It's entirely a search issue for me. Triggering or mature content I filter out with rating, but otherwise it's not a matter of not wanting to describe the work, and definitely not an explicit attempt to bypass filters. It's to keep my submissions to my own corner, stumbled upon if found at all (and yes, that is more appealing to me than general exposure much of the time). I understand this could be alleviated with the friends only feature and various other tweaks to keep your submissions to only certain eyes, but wanting my submissions publicly accessible at the same time (to share a reference with someone offsite, etc.) brings up this weird crossroads for me between how thoroughly available I want them to be, outside of my profile and gallery themselves.

Essentially, keeping my presence fairly small, but not so literally as locking everything away would, so I could still share my submissions to my own extent without requiring people to follow me/have an account first - that's my ideal lately. This could always change as my comfort does (because honest, I'm like this everywhere rn, not just weasyl - ), but emphasis on "tag so people can find it!" gets me more hesitant than inspired to do it more broadly. I want my work easy to track down as I see fit, but I don't want to violate anything, and sometimes the line between the two feels thin.

Taw
08-30-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm never sure what to say about this tagging issue, but the question I always have when tags come up probably leans on the "please don't tag my stuff side", even though at this time I wouldn't be appalled if it happened (to a degree).

But for my own example, I tag minimally or super specifically so my submission will show up in as few searches as possible. It's entirely a search issue for me. Triggering or mature content I filter out with rating, but otherwise it's not a matter of not wanting to describe the work, and definitely not an explicit attempt to bypass filters. It's to keep my submissions to my own corner, stumbled upon if found at all (and yes, that is more appealing to me than general exposure much of the time). I understand this could be alleviated with the friends only feature and various other tweaks to keep your submissions to only certain eyes, but wanting my submissions publicly accessible at the same time (to share a reference with someone offsite, etc.) brings up this weird crossroads for me between how thoroughly available I want them to be, outside of my profile and gallery themselves.

Essentially, keeping my presence fairly small, but not so literally as locking everything away would, so I could still share my submissions to my own extent without requiring people to follow me/have an account first - that's my ideal lately. This could always change as my comfort does (because honest, I'm like this everywhere rn, not just weasyl - ), but emphasis on "tag so people can find it!" gets me more hesitant than inspired to do it more broadly. I want my work easy to track down as I see fit, but I don't want to violate anything, and sometimes the line between the two feels thin.

Hmm, that gets me curious. If there was an option to make your works not appear in searches, would you feel more comfortable with the tagging system and letting people tag your works (or tagging them better)? Just asking hypothetically.

ganache
08-30-2014, 06:31 AM
Hmm, that gets me curious. If there was an option to make your works not appear in searches, would you feel more comfortable with the tagging system and letting people tag your works (or tagging them better)? Just asking hypothetically.

I totally would, I think! I'd have fewer nerves about getting broad with my tags that way.
EDIT: if this could apply to selected submissions rather than all or nothing, that would be great. Since there are still some things I'd want findable, like commission sheets or anything else for offer.

This is also reminding me of a question I've had before but usually forgot just as fast (since my need for such a thing is far-off), maybe not even totally related to all of this, but is it conceivably possible to see some compilation of your own gallery's tags, or search them within just your own works? In the case it gets so big the organization would help?

Taw
08-30-2014, 06:14 PM
I totally would, I think! I'd have fewer nerves about getting broad with my tags that way.
EDIT: if this could apply to selected submissions rather than all or nothing, that would be great. Since there are still some things I'd want findable, like commission sheets or anything else for offer.

This is also reminding me of a question I've had before but usually forgot just as fast (since my need for such a thing is far-off), maybe not even totally related to all of this, but is it conceivably possible to see some compilation of your own gallery's tags, or search them within just your own works? In the case it gets so big the organization would help?

If we ever did implement a "do not appear in search" function for submissions, I'm sure it'd likely be a folder option, so any work put into a folders with it marked would exclude it from a search or something. I'm not a developer though so it'd be up to them if it ever did become a thing.

As for your question - a compilation of all your own gallery tags would be neat. Sort of like a statistic thing, you mean, right? Could be something in the future possibly. Can't say for sure, of course!

Though if you ever do want to search your own works and filter them via tags you can search: +user:Taw +bat
That would display all works by me with the tag "bat" on them.

ganache
08-30-2014, 07:28 PM
I had a feeling there was a way to do it that I missed - thank you! And yes, all of that sounds right up my alley, if it could happen ;w;b

Makaze
05-29-2015, 08:00 AM

That is my issue as well, as there have been trolls running around adding and removing tags and as the owner of the submission, I feel powerless, so essentially a "community" function sort of removes the point of tags places by the owner as well as removes OUR power to remove and add tags. It feels invasive and strips us of control over our own submissions. If a tag doesn't fit it should be up to either the admin or the owner of the tag to change it. So far I've had a few artists i watched go back to FA because of this.

Socks the Fox
05-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Those people need to be reported so the admins can take their tag-changing permissions away.

piņardilla
05-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Under "Site Preferences" in Settings, there's a checkbox that says "Prevent other users from removing tags I place on my content." As it says on the tin, that will protect any tags that you place yourself from being removed.

If other users are harassing you with inappropriate tags, then like Socks said report them and we can strip those privileges from them.

Umbra_Exe
05-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Other booru features worth stealing are implications, aliases and tag categories. Implications are obvious - lucario and gardevoir both imply pokemon, renamon and agumon both imply digimon. Aliases solve the big_breasts/large_breasts dilemma by letting people tag with either and silently converting one to the other on submit. Tag categories mean certain tags have particular meaning - a tag for a particular character, for example, gets marked as a character tag.
This would be pretty cool to have in the tag system, especially aliases. Sometimes it's difficult to try and think of/remember all the possible variations of the tags for a submission. Also, what about commonly misspelled words? I know "Digitigrade" is misspelled quite a bit, usually "Digigrade" or "Digitgrade", sometimes with a hyphen in the word as well. Could common misspellings be included as aliases as well, somehow?

I'm fine with anybody tagging anything, but reading the comments here, I think maybe viewer-submitted tags should appear in a different color or section on the page than the artist-submitted tags. That way, the artists who "don't want their art associated with" a certain subject will know that their viewers can see that somebody other than the artist gave their piece a certain tag. The piece can be efficiently searched, and the artist maintains their integrity or whatever you'd call it.
This would also be a nice feature to have, if possible. I think it could be helpful to artists to see what sorts of tags other users are adding. That way, they can consider adding tags they see often to their future works.

GreenReaper
12-26-2015, 06:54 AM
There was another thread about community tagging (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?7738-Community-Tagging-Overview). It didn't end so well. But when reading it I found it had a few valuable ideas, so I figured it should be mentioned here. And because I'm here, you get a half-hour of my thoughts on related topics as well. I know, I can sense your joy already. :-)

First off, making the suggestion feature optional is not such a big deal. Inkbunny has had soft-accept suggestions (member must reject), a few boxes to fill in for "important" keywords, policy regarding minimum keywording (https://wiki.inkbunny.net/wiki/Keyword_Policy#Minimum_Required_Keywords), and per-submission and per-account-default opt-out and per-user-suggestion-banning for several years now. We get maybe one or two complaints a month about it all. 1.85% of submissions have suggestions disabled, 2.17% of members with 10 or more submissions have it disabled by default on their submissions. Only a few people care about turning suggestions off, and the system basically works without them.

Yes, sometimes we get a special snowflake who thinks 'X' doesn't apply to their work, but on the whole it works well - and if artists get pissed off, they tend to blame/block the submitter, not the site, which is not the end of the world. Most of the time they've gone away before they know it's been rejected, anyway - conversely, a "useful" tag is often applied for long enough for the critical blocking feature to work even if it's ultimately rejected. Focus enforcement efforts on persistent failure to apply commonly-blocked tags, because it's those which make people think the system is broken.

As for the relevance/necessity of "accurate" tagging: it's a compromise. Yes, it's your art/concept; but it's everyone else's eyeballs, and the site-owners' code, disks, electricity and bandwidth. If you don't care about other people's needs/opinions, but do want structure, you can try hosting your own gallery. Plenty of free software out there… if you're lucky, you might even find some loosely-integrated community site.

Similarly, viewers who don't care about the submitter's opinion and only care about their work inasmuch as it can be categorized and selected to fulfill a particular need will do better on an imageboard, so there needs to be a limit to how much Weasyl caters to that mindset. It's hard to compete with e621 at what it does best. And really, do you want to? Yeah, it has great traffic, but that's only part of a shared art community.

What the dev team might want to do is revisit the decision not to implement full-text search (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?7738-Community-Tagging-Overview/page11&p=89333#post89333) (yet). Seriously, you have all these words you're not using and you argue with creators about the need to impose more of them? There's nothing magic about the relevance of tags. Besides, it's weird to title something "X" and not to be able to find it again by searching for "X". Discover trade FTS! (https://youtu.be/SzHOhIdTpw0?t=2m37s)

I'm not saying it's trivial, but we use the same database; it has a highly competent text search engine (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/textsearch.html). There's plenty of guides out there; and with a little regexp_replace() magic, you could even make it track description @mentions. Want more words? Try data-mining the comments where people talk about that lovely piece of anus, and free your artists from the agony of having to reject such an accurate, descriptive tag.

agregoasswifty370
10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

agregoasswifty370
07-10-2019, 03:02 AM
- - - Updated - - -

, . . . , . . .
[/url]

- - - Updated - - -

, (). , 2 , , Reuters.
[url=http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D 0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0% BE] (http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/)

- - - Updated - - -

Extensive Climate Action Zenith 2018 ChargePoint, " ", 2025 . 2,5 . 2 . .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D 1%8F_%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0 %B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F)

- - - Updated - - -

Extensive Atmosphere Vitality Summit 2018 ChargePoint, " ", 2025 . 2,5 . 2 . .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BA)

- - - Updated - - -

11 -35 . "" .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/)

- - - Updated - - -

"" , " ". ", , ", - . , . : " , ".
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BF%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8F%D 1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F)

- - - Updated - - -

Worldwide Climate Process Zenith 2018 ChargePoint, " ", 2025 . 2,5 . 2 . .

- - - Updated - - -

Worldwide Climate Process Crown 2018 ChargePoint, " ", 2025 . 2,5 . 2 . .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BF%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8F%D 1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F)

- - - Updated - - -

Noize MC "". Noize MC , .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D 0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0% BE)

- - - Updated - - -

21 . , . .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D 0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE)

- - - Updated - - -

Epidemic Atmosphere Action Zenith 2018 ChargePoint, " ", 2025 . 2,5 . 2 . .
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D 0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0% BE)

- - - Updated - - -

"" , " ". ", , ", - . , . : " , ".
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D 0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

, (). , 2 , , Reuters.

- - - Updated - - -

, . . . , . . .

- - - Updated - - -

11 -35 . "" .

- - - Updated - - -

B ycox, oa aopapoe paee c ocaoo oo, paa ey oec ec eo pae ceae eo cocex aax, aax oye. oa ceae paa ey ee oa oo oyo. O o , o opa aac paoecy peey epe peeo ee oo, ye ooy ayc ey oee cpe cox ycax. Ea oxpa, oop peea a e, cocoe a oe poa eo pcyc, a eoop yepaop o pe pe aye.
(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D 1%8F_%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0 %B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F)

- - - Updated - - -

, . . . , . . .

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

, (). , 2 , , Reuters.

agregoasswifty370
07-10-2019, 04:46 AM
- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

(http://xn--h1adblgy0b9d.xn--p1ai/%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BA%D1%80%D1%83%D1%82%D0%BA%D 0%B0_%D1%81%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%82%D0%B0)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -