PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: Forum Sections, Submissions

Nitro
10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
two suggestions here.

1: Have different subforums under the Art Section for different mediums. While it's true that everything from literature to movies are art forms, it's hard to find help when everything is converged into one general forum. For now, I'm thinking of subforums for Visual Art (Traditional, Digital, Crafts), Literature, Motion (Video, Animation) and Music. I hope this can be implemented soon.

2: Have more distinctions between submission types in thumbnails. For now there isn't an easy way to distinguish between different types of submissions for people who submit different types of art. There needs to be some way to tell them apart, possibly a little flag on the corner of the thumbnail to indicate if it is a visual, literary or multimedia submission.
2a: Also, within those categories, there should be some sort of standardized list of tags that people can use as a sort of specific sub-subcategory. People can then follow those tags if they want, and can lead to further exposure. The list of tags should involve things like musical/literary/film genres, and general interest topics.

Tiger
10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Regarding the forum suggestion, while it's not unreasonable, I don't think that at this point it's necessary (for lack of a better word) for the forums. On one point, there just aren't a ton of members here making threads that would specifically fall under different sub-forums. Also, looking at the current threads there, there are, again, not enough threads that would require the separation of art categories. Although, in the future, I do think it could be completely possible to make the sub-forums.

Taw
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I can answer your first question, though the other two I can't really help much with (I don't code the main site and such!).

In regards to subforums on our forums, I've only made a few to start with. We're only at around 1,000 members and aren't quite too busy/popular right now so we're holding back on creating more subsections that just wont receive much attention at the moment.

We'd rather have one section be highly used than to break it into 4 sections and have only a few used (and perhaps some not at all for a long time!).

Once we notice an increase in activity we'll look into breaking some vague forum sections into more specific subforums and such though!

As for your other suggestions I'll be sure to point the staff to here to let them know about your suggestions. c:

Nitro
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I thought so. I know it isn't exactly needed right now, but the community is only going to grow, and when that happens I think it should be necessary to have subforums for different art categories.

My only real problem with it right now is that "Art General" and its forum description implies that it only encompasses visual art, and for a website that also caters to writers, musicians, animators etc., it doesn't make a lot of sense.