PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Story submission issues

foxboyprower
10-27-2012, 09:59 PM
When trying to submit a literary work, I used a txt file which it said was the correct type of file. When I filled out the rest of the info and clicked "continue" it gave me this message.

Whoops! The submission file you uploaded is not a valid filetype for this submission category.
I tried using a word document but with the same results. Even composing the story from the composing section ran into an error when I tried submitting it.

I thought the issue was that I was uploading it from my google docs, but I used a copy (of txt and doc files) I put on my desktop. Neither of those worked. I got the same error message.
The majority of my work is writing so this worries me. I see others have been able to submit their stories. So I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug that's preventing me from submitting my stories.

Taw
10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
What are the exact settings you are using for your submission when you upload it? (Category, any thumbnails/cover art, etc)

Not quite sure what's going on, but I'll direct the mainsite team over here to take a peek!

BullyShark
10-29-2012, 05:48 AM
I am having this exact same problem..

foxboyprower
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I put it in the "story" catagory. I stopped trying to put thumbnails and cover art on it for now. I figured I could just edit the submission and put the thumbnails and cover art in when I do that.

But with just the txt or doc file, it still gives me that error message.

Aduro
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm having the same issue, only my issue involves...well, receiving an internal server error or a message that says that it was unable to complete my request. -.-

foxboyprower
10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I was able to submit a chapter of my story by using the "compose" tool. I copied and the words from the chapter and pasted them into the composition box. Although I'm still figuring out all the details of the "compose" tool, I was able to submit a chapter from it. Although having to use this method is very awkward, slow, and makeshift in comparison to just uploading the actual file. So far the "Literary" submission tool has not functioned a single time in my attempts to upload stories.
A least now I see how some people have been able to submit stories.

VictorDachs
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm having the same problem, but it's only occurring with one of my stories, none of the other ones. In fact, when I replace the story with one of my other ones, it uploads, but I can't change the file to the correct story. :|

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I've tried to upload the story using the Composition feature. Still, when I go to submit, it's saying that the submission file type is unsupported. o.O

And, no, I'm not attaching thumbnails...

foxboyprower
11-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I still cannot submit my .txt files. When I can install open office, I'll do some texts making .txt files with notepad, MC word, and open office, and see if any of those work. At least I can eliminate that variable (in my situation). I don't know what other factors could be an issue. Some users have been able to upload .txt files I have heard. So I'm uncertain why it's different in my case.

foxboyprower
11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Update: This problem is now fixed. I can now support my .txt files in literary submissions. I'm not sure if it still works for everyone, but it's working for me now.

weykent
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
just to do a little followup here—you're not doing anything differently now, and submitting the same document no longer gives you an error? trying to make sure that it wasn't a change you made to the document which made the error go away.

foxboyprower
11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
just to do a little followup here—you're not doing anything differently now, and submitting the same document no longer gives you an error? trying to make sure that it wasn't a change you made to the document which made the error go away.

That is correct. In fact I just tried submitting a .txt file I had tried to submit before. Before it would not work so I had to use the compose tool to submit it. But now the .txt file works.
You can see the test submission here (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/59432)
This is the submission in which I had to cut and paste the words from the .txt file into the compose tool since I could not upload the same .txt file is here (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/26047). Additionally, you might note that this version has a thumbnail image and that might have been the problem. It wasn't. I uploaded it without a thumbnail at first and added one later. With the issues I was having with the .txt file, I only wanted to have one issue at a time.

I said earlier I would try altering the .txt files and make them with different programs, but I was too lazy to get around to doing that.

weykent
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
That is correct. In fact I just tried submitting a .txt file I had tried to submit before. Before it would not work so I had to use the compose tool to submit it. But now the .txt file works.
You can see the test submission here (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/59432)

looking at this and at the code, I think I can see why you were getting an error. I don't have time to look at this right this second, but I'll come back to it later today.

weykent
12-10-2012, 03:53 AM
okay, so, I just made a lot of fixes to how text submissions are handled. hopefully you shouldn't have any further issues with new submissions, since I know your existing submission isn't having issues anymore.

12-11-2012, 09:45 AM
I still have an issue with it.

A text file erases all formatting, however line breaks (points where I pressed Return to start a new paragraph) and all indentations are erased when I submit the file, e.g. https://www.weasyl.com/submission/68218 . I have tried pasting into the Compose feature and submitting it that way, but I get an error every time that states that A, the filetype is not supported (as of my previous attempt), or B, my request can't be completed (as of my attempt just now).

weykent
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I still have an issue with it.

A text file erases all formatting, however line breaks (points where I pressed Return to start a new paragraph) and all indentations are erased when I submit the file, e.g. https://www.weasyl.com/submission/68218 . I have tried pasting into the Compose feature and submitting it that way, but I get an error every time that states that A, the filetype is not supported (as of my previous attempt), or B, my request can't be completed (as of my attempt just now).

the changes I made only affect uploading text file uploads and not anything with the compose feature. text file uploads are interpreted as bbcode, which is why your formatting wasn't preserved, but it shouldn't have made everything all one paragraph. I'll take a look at this soon.

the compose feature is a whole 'nother thing that has a bunch of completely separate problems.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/68218

okay, I just pushed a change that fixes the issue with your submission. the existing bbcode parser was only respecting one kind of line break (U+000A) when your text file was using a different kind (U+000D). it even supports U+000D U+000A line breaks!

12-11-2012, 11:10 PM
okay, I just pushed a change that fixes the issue with your submission. the existing bbcode parser was only respecting one kind of line break (U+000A) when your text file was using a different kind (U+000D). it even supports U+000D U+000A line breaks!

YAY! Thank you! :D