PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Notification Icon counter

GingerM
10-27-2012, 12:36 PM
There's a small snafu with the Notification Icon counter, as follows:

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/GingerMSL/Weasyl_1.png

As you can see in the image, there is one notification remaining, but the counter says there's two. This happens when someone sends a friends request and you accept it; the actual entry in the list disappears (which is what I would expect), but the counter up by the icon at top right doesn't update until you manually clear the "following" notification. Then it goes away entirely - again, as it should.

Fiz
10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Just posting to say I've had this happen to me too.

skylerbunny
10-28-2012, 02:17 PM
This is a bit hard to track down precisely, but there seems to be a discrepancy between the number of list notes displayed on https://www.weasyl.com/messages/notifications , versus what you see in the top menubar while logged in (the 'list' icon that takes you TO the notifications page above).

It seems like say, actions like 'Accepting a friend request', while removing the notification in your notification page, will not at the same time force an update of your icon counts. This means that you'll have (2) in your icon notification, while seeing only (1) on the actual page. Similarly, someone following you (when you have zero notifications) can mean you STILL won't see 'So and so has followed you' until you do something like use a different browser or dump cache and start again.

So in short, there seems to be some kind of caching issue with the submissions/notifications/journals/notes icon bar, where actions behind the scenes will change the count, but the user on the other end doesn't get a 'Something changed. Force refresh on next reload'. I can confirm specifically that this happens with the 'Notifications' one, in any case.

taasla
10-28-2012, 08:07 PM
I get the same thing happening to me, too. It usually takes a few pages before it goes away.

Temrin
10-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Hmm. Notifications have worked fine for me. I've not noticed anything not displaying properly. Hmm. i will keep a better eye on it and see if i'm having these issues too without realizing it.

Nyomi
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Having the same issue today. I can't clear it because I only had one friend notification and the page shows nothing to clear despite the icon indicating one message.

Temrin
10-30-2012, 02:46 PM
What i have noticed:

I noticed... Weirdly enough, that while you are clicking to different pages, it doesnt update the message center properly. But when you go to the home page of Weasyl, it updates properly o.O I've tested this a few times. I guess i never noticed the message center issue before because i would always have my page on the home page when i was done browsing so i could refresh and see new art coming in.

This should definitely be fixed. >.<