PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Content Upload issue

AraElkins
10-27-2012, 07:47 AM
As written, this rule allows a moderator to delete any submission that they think may offend somebody in the listed groups with completely unfettered discretion. Why is this necessary? Especially with tags and blacklisting, it seems like people offended by certain content can easily not be exposed to it.

Currently, it doesn't require that the image in question even offend a single person, just that a moderator think it might. The rule doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose, and makes it very unclear whether certain types of content is allowed.

For instance, somebody could construe as sexist a picture of a male character ordering around a female character who is dressed as a maid.

Wuvvums
10-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I think it's for pieces that are very obviously offensive in a way that it could be construed as an attack. I think cases may be like blackface, or writings that are overly bigoted and use slurs.

AraElkins
10-27-2012, 11:29 AM
That may be the intention, but that's not how the rule is written. What is currently written is extremely overbroad instead. Besides, aren't attacks already against the rules? It seems very unnecessary.

Wuvvums
10-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Just because it's broadly defined doesn't mean it's going to be broadly enforced. They seem to give a good idea on what offensive can be:

Offensive Content: Uploading content which may be construed as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ageist, or ableist should be done with extreme discretion. If a staff member feels as though an image is too offensive to be allowed on the site, it may be deleted at their discretion.Offensive Content: Uploading content which may be construed as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ageist, or ableist should be done with extreme discretion. If a staff member feels as though an image is too offensive to be allowed on the site, it may be deleted at their discretion.

I remember talking to Fiz about it before and it's not like you're going to be seen as "ageist" if you say 'darn kids get off my lawn.' I think the part about allowing their discretion is that some parts of this do fall into a grey area.

Donro
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
To stop racism, sexism etc

Saying lol french people eat brie isn't the same as saying N****R

Uini
10-27-2012, 01:08 PM
It feels like you're missing a vital point here. Offensive content is extremely subjective. If you take offense to a certain subject you can always blacklist it. But the community guidelines read:

Offensive Content: Uploading content which may be construed as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ageist, or ableist should be done with extreme discretion. If a staff member feels as though an image is too offensive to be allowed on the site, it may be deleted at their discretion.

Being a part of art sites for almost 10 years, one would think the main idea of this statement is to discourage people from being dicks. So uploading intentionally offensive content is what this rule is in place for. Things that are there to blatantly to cause harm. As far as someone uploading something unintentionally offensive to whatever group or person, if the staff feels its in violation then they have to use their digression. The uploader always has the right to contest it as well.

Now in terms of things that really don't fall under this category: ie: someone uploading an image of a character eating chicken or steak, and someone who is vegan or vegetarian getting offended because someone is consuming meat, that is totally subjective and easily can be tagged and blacklisted.

I think at some point a few of us fail to see a difference between things that are actually offensive and things we just don't want to see. Weasyl's tag system is in place to help filter content. If your non-tolerance of offending content goes beyond someone telling a 13 year old, paraplegic black MtF lesbian that her place is on her knees in the kitchen, then I think tagging and blacklisting is an initiative for yourself to take up.

While still on the subject, would it be bothersome to implement some type of alert system for when tags are changed, removed or added? It can help users appropriately tag things and allow them to know when things have been changed in their tags, also allowing or denying said changes as well incase someone posts incorrect tags.

Temrin
10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
@uini The tag suggestion you have suggested have been suggested before and i believe they are on the commonly suggested thread. (you'll have to search for it. i dont have a link on hand.)

But i'm pretty sure its there : )