PDA

View Full Version : Can someone define EXACTLY what 'character' submissions are supposed to be?

Bornes
10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I ask this for a few reasons.
One is, I've used it for my own purposes and that might be "inappropriate".

The other is that many other people aren't using it, and instead uploading character bios and such directly to their gallery.
I have no problem with this, personally, but if a 'character' is uploaded into the 'gallery' instead of the 'character' section.. Why do we even bother having a character section?

The way I use my character section currently, is I have a few OCs and have their bios up there. But I also have a lot of fursuits, so I just decided to use the character function to display which fursuits I have as well. I thought it was intuitive but now I'm not so sure.

Temrin
10-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Character submissions are to upload a ref sheet and information about your character.
This site is still new and people might not know that the character section is for that to begin with. Most sites I've been on don't. So its definitely a new concept.

That is what i understand of it. Though really, people are going to use the functions for how they want to display their gallery. Just because a feature exists doesn't mean people are going to use it, unfortunately.

I would say thats a pretty good way to use the character section. Though if the fursuit is of drawn OC's you have in there already, it would seem redundant. You can also create a fursuits folder in your gallery as well and host them there. There are multiple ways to go about things.

Bornes
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Well didn't there used to be a report function that allowed you to report mis-categorized things? If there's a character bio in a main gallery, would it be kosher to report that as being mis-categorized?

RX-149Dragonite
10-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Well didn't there used to be a report function that allowed you to report mis-categorized things? If there's a character bio in a main gallery, would it be kosher to report that as being mis-categorized?

I think it would be alright

Kajoken
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
No it's not ok, since people are not required to upload their reference sheets to the character section. One can always upload them to the normal galleries.
As long as there's no rule that you have to upload sheets there, I'd say using the report function would be an abuse.

Temrin
10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I would agree with Kajoken on this one. People are not required to use character pages, collections, etc. They are features that are there so it seems silly not to use them, But people are still new to weasyl and some people might have their own organization methods that wouldn't work well with the character pages.

So yes, reporting would be pointless and abuse.
It is not up to us to determine how someone should use their gallery. If they have the wrong mature filter or it goes against the ToS (hateful subjectmatter or something) -then- report it. Otherwise, leave them alone.

GingerM
10-29-2012, 10:20 PM
My suggestion would be that
1) If you felt so inclined, you could note the person to say something along the lines of "Hey, did you know characters have their own special submission type if you want to use it" and
2) An issue that was raised with the staff already was to allow some customizable fields in the character sheet, and allow a certain number of links to images from the character info page as well - say one main image at the top and links to four others (to pick a figure) that would show up as thumbnails at the bottom.

ETA: Fay V raised a good point, so please disregard the first part of my suggestion. :whistling:

Fay V
10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Please don't take it upon yourselves to correct a user.

Despite good intentions this can lead to miscommunications and harsh feelings, or the impression that a user must change or be met with punishment. If you see a miscategorization, please report the item and contact staff, use the ticket to explain the issue.
Reports are not just for rule violations and discipline, they can be used to contact staff and inform them on a neutral issue like this. Simply reporting something does not mean we will go after the user to punish them, it lets us know there is an issue, and for something like this it lets us know that a user might not understand the features on weasyl.

It is not against the rules to post a character sheet or bio in submissions. If you feel the user does need to be informed then please report the item and allow staff to explain it to them. This reduces the miscommunication all around.

RadioCatastrophe
10-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Plus a lot of folks didn't know you couldn't edit a submission file after submitting it. Soo.. there's really no way atm to correct reference sheets not being on character profiles if one is already created for the character.