PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a banner is ridiculous X__X

Minka
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
So I thought making a banner would be similar to Facebook. Pick any image you want, and it will resize, crop, etc to make it fit. Not such the case here...
I first picked a banner that I had used for Facebook before because they've got a similar banner size, very long and thin. Instead of stretching the banner to fit, it squished it down height wise so that it only took up about 1/4th of the banner size and left a big ugly blank space.
Next I tried to use a photo that I had taken. The photo was 900x600, so I resized and cropped to 900x136, which is almost the same ratio as 1650x250. Only off by .36something something. Apparently still not good enough. :/ Was still left with quite a HUGE blank space.
So then I tried to go looking for a landscape wallpaper I could use on Google. I had seen a landscape banner on the presentation video shown at Anthrocon. All the ones I liked wouldn't work because the ratio needed for the banner cuts out SO much of the photo, it did nothing for my page...
I finally had to settle on a photo of a hot air balloon with some land at the bottom and crop out the balloon at the top and the land at the bottom and paste them together in order to get something at least slightly good looking.

There need to be more options for people like me with no drawing/illustrating skills that just want a nice photograph banner.... :thumbsdown:

RadioCatastrophe
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Just crop it to size in Photoshop?

Minka
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I can't afford photoshop.
And that still doesn't get rid of the problem that a 1650x250 ratio is incompatible with most photographs. You end up with a sliver of a photo that doesn't look good at all.

RadioCatastrophe
10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
:x There's free alternatives to photoshop, I've had no problems with my banner so I don't get your problem...
But being able to crop from an image (which you can do alone in an art program) could be handy for others, so I'm not knocking your suggestion

Tartii
10-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Ask if somebody can crop it for you if you do not have the ability in of itself.

Tiger
10-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Minka, you can drop me a note on the mainsite or here and I'll gladly help you in making your banner. c:

GingerM
10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
I can't afford photoshop.
And that still doesn't get rid of the problem that a 1650x250 ratio is incompatible with most photographs. You end up with a sliver of a photo that doesn't look good at all.

Minka, may I suggest the GIMP, which is a free/open source alternative to photoshop? http://www.gimp.org/; the download page link is on the right. Click that, then scroll down; Windows install is near the bottom of the page.

Ransom
10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
If you're running Windows, MS Paint is capable of cropping an image. As for the banner dimensions, you'll need to get creative with the composition to produce something aesthetically pleasing. Panoramic shots are always an option too.

kingcrowned
10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
You know it never really occurred to me this could be an issue for non-artist types, but it makes sense to me. There are also lots of people who have no idea how to resize or crop images themselves, and I actually agree that 1650x250 is really weird for dimensions.

I think it would be nice to have something like they have for Livejournal (or facebook, though I've never personally used the site) where you can put in an image and kind of crop it. Another thing I would like to see if the option of being able to center smaller banners so they aren't just floating at the edge of the page. Just my opinion though.

Minka
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Ask if somebody can crop it for you if you do not have the ability in of itself.
It's not that I CANT crop, it's that when you take 99% of photographs that you would like to crop and reduce them to 1650x250, there is nothing left of the photo to speak of.

Minka, may I suggest the GIMP, which is a free/open source alternative to photoshop? http://www.gimp.org/; the download page link is on the right. Click that, then scroll down; Windows install is near the bottom of the page.
Thanks; I already have GIMP though. :)

If you're running Windows, MS Paint is capable of cropping an image. As for the banner dimensions, you'll need to get creative with the composition to produce something aesthetically pleasing. Panoramic shots are always an option too.
Yea, I tried it with paint first because I was lazy, but trying to take an image that is some other dimension (there aren't that many that are already 1650px wide) and trying to crop to *exactly* 1650x250 is beyond frustrating. So I downloaded GIMP.

You know it never really occurred to me this could be an issue for non-artist types, but it makes sense to me. There are also lots of people who have no idea how to resize or crop images themselves, and I actually agree that 1650x250 is really weird for dimensions.

I think it would be nice to have something like they have for Livejournal (or facebook, though I've never personally used the site) where you can put in an image and kind of crop it. Another thing I would like to see if the option of being able to center smaller banners so they aren't just floating at the edge of the page. Just my opinion though.
YES. THIS.
When you can't draw worth... anything (lol) and you don't have money to pay for a banner, your only option is to take preexisting works and crop them down and with the dimensions specified, works that crop down well are very limited.
If banners cropped themselves so to speak or banners could be centered.. the problem would be solved. *nods*