PDA

View Full Version : Common Suggestions List

Pages : [1] 2

Fiz
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Just a list I compiled of common suggestions that our user's have given us. Though, just because something is on this list, does not mean it will be implemented! Items crossed out are things that have been suggested to us but will not be implemented, reasons for such are listed at the bottom of the page.

It's probably a good idea to check this list before posting a new suggestion thread to see if your idea is already on here or not.

REGARDING SMALL/SQUARE THUMBNAILS:

Quoting aden from later in this thread (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1003-Common-Suggestions-List&p=33100&viewfull=1#post33100):

Re: thumbnails, don't worry guys, we're not ignoring you! Changing these over to full previews (yes, non-square) is a component of another effort that we'll hopefully get out to you in the near future. Really sorry about the lack of feedback from our end regarding this

So we would appreciate it if you stopped making new threads about thumbnails seeing as this is being taken care of in the future. Thanks.

Suggestions That Have Been Implemented!

Being able to login from more than one machine or browser
Show friends/following/followers on userpage with option to turn these off or on
Automatic Link Parsing
Invites additions (how many you have left, when they refill)
Streamlined submission inbox (not having to go to a new page to manage your submission messages)
Nuke all button
Select all button that isn't the invert selection button
Full view button and/or clicking image expands it
Filename system change for download (so it shows username and submission name/original file name)
Edit submission option
Submissions show in root folder even if they're in a subfolder.
Edit submission file for characters
Characters viewable on front page
Streaming function is easier to find (maybe it's own option outside of settings, or a button)
Custom timer option for people who forget to turn off streams
Choosing own featured submission rather than defaulting to most recent (implemented with folder options)
Preview button for descriptions on all submissions and journals (added with markdown)
Contact info fields actually showing up on userpage
Custom fields for Commissions/Trades/Requests instead of "closed, open, etc."
Critique wanted submissions have a badge on the submission page stating so (not a banner but there is now text)
Scraps feature/folder (implemented with folder options)
Featuring collection to user's front page (implemented with profile thumbnail bar displays… under profile settings)
Ability to hide/delete shouts/comments
Tagging History
Tag change alerts
Title/username under thumbnail
"More in folder" shows images in sequential order rather than random
Larger filesize upload limit

General:

Logging in redirects to previous page before login
User database
User search
Available for commissions/trades search
"View more" for Critique wanted
Browsing for Critique Wanted submissions
Being able to hide Commissions/Trades/Requests text from userpage
Space on userpage for an ID
Field on your page for an "artists info" space, separate from "profile" field
Major improvements to groups (groups are in a WIP so basically everything needs fixing, so I won't be specific with these)
Easier Next and Back buttons on submissions (that isn't just the "more in folder" field)
Pop up for log-out ("are you sure you want to log out?") to keep from misclicking log out
Specific followers settings to pop up after a user is followed
Option to enable/disable people from adding you to their Friend's list
When adding someone as a friend you get asked if you wish to follow them as well
More search functions including tag alerts, searching for keywords inside submission descriptions, showing how many submissions showed up in search, artist search
Fix/reminder to refresh cache on new banner/icon uploads
Add a BBcode bar for easy access***
NSFW/SFW toggle
Ability to disable comments on submissions/journals/characters/shout page
Ability to deactivate or hide account
Different language selections

Message Center related:

Submission stacking (all submissions by one user going into its own stack for viewing)
Inbox/Outbox overhaul (ordering, folders, deletion, importance markers, etc.)
Message center numbers updating properly (this is a bug I'm sure but putting it here regardless)
Option to get e-mails when you get new items in your inbox/submission inbox

Submission related:

Update for full view: Ability to enable or disable automatic full view
Upload other file types for literary (.doc, .docx, etc.)
Upload more file types in regards to music (.midi, .ogg, etc.)
Scroll bar on descriptions
Auto tag complete
"Official" and "Suggested" Tags
Smart tagging
Mass/bulk uploading
[s]Import submissions from other sites function*
Non-square thumbnails
Bigger thumbnails
Add Creative Commons License option
Option to disable downloads of submissions**
Something to show on thumbnails or scrollover if a submission is an image/literary/multimedia file
Ability to upload program tools such as custom brushes, etc.

Folders related:

Custom folder thumbnails
Being able to have one image in multiple folders
Custom ordering of folders on page
Ability for more sub-folders in current sub-folders
Folders for favorites and collections
Being able to re-order submissions manually within a folder

Character related:

Being able to upload more than one image to a character page
Custom fields for additional info (on the lines of weight, height etc. type fields)

Collections related:

Being able to request an image to collection
Allowing characters to be placed into collections
Folders for collections

Commissions related:

Example field
Adding 'hourly wage' field as a choice if users do not use a flat rate
Descriptions field for each commission class
Custom ordering of commission classes without defaulting to alphabetical
Commission opened/closed notification system

Streaming Notifications related:

"View more" for Streaming Now in order of earliest starting streams

* We don't want Weasyl to have an official tool that scrapes other sites without their permission. However, other sites are free to export their data in a Weasyl-compatible format, or users are free to use a scraper to make it.
** Disabling downloads will not keep users from using other means to download the media they want.
*** No BBCode bar will be implemented since we are mostly switching to Markdownqu

Temrin
10-16-2012, 10:36 PM
not sure if we should respond to this if we have things that arent suggested. So feel free to delete this post.

Perhaps having the option to have the "let other edit your image tags" be a "per submission" thing and not a whole site preference.

Ceowolf
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Not sure if we should be suggesting more things here, and like Temrin said feel free to delete this if so.

General:
-group search / database
-groups page to profile
-profile optional setting to link to a character
-stats; like joined date, number of submissions, journals, views, etc and the option to have it displayed or not
-events / calender (find out what conventions or things your favorite artist, friends, etc is going to!)
-email notifications and options
-sfw mode

Submission related:
-auto tag complete, as you type a word for a tag it comes up with possible tags (keeps people using the same or similar tags)
-mass upload (like from a zip or something)
-option to allow or disable guest access (block non users from viewing your submissions)

Commissions related:
-having commission categories be drop down menus with option to expand all
-being able to set how many open slots you have

Also a little random thing that's kinda fun I have seen a couple sites implement it and ties into the stats I guess. It would be achievements, although I could understand not doing it as it could lead to people just throwing random things on to get the achievements lol.

RadioCatastrophe
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Along with the edit submission being able to notify followers as well as anyone who faved the piece that was updated or changed.

Edit: I noticed that you can block/filter out your own submissions, I think this should be changed to only block filtered tags for other users.
Edit Edit: An easier way to remove/delete tag filters. Maybe double clicking them could remove them or drag-n-drop to a trash can icon or whatever.

Zodiac
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
One thing that I think is really needed in galleries is a Next and Back button when viewing the submissions. Maybe I am entirely blind, and it is there - but if it is it seems awfully hidden. When I find an artist I like, I love to view their gallery one by one, but I can't seem to do that here without always going back and forth.

Ceowolf
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
One thing that I think is really needed in galleries is a Next and Back button when viewing the submissions. Maybe I am entirely blind, and it is there - but if it is it seems awfully hidden. When I find an artist I like, I love to view their gallery one by one, but I can't seem to do that here without always going back and forth.

bottom right there should be something that says More in Folder "Commissions" (or whichever folder) and there is a back and forward with a couple imgs to go back and forward by

Ralloonx
10-27-2012, 08:31 PM
For Streaming: Could we have a link to view all active streams instead of only four? (Or I assume that's all it shows. Haven't seen more, and the names shift.)

I totally get not wanting to spam the main page with them all, but like the viewing more submissions there should be an option for streaming. It's getting popular and I really enjoy watching people. Yes, you get notified if you are watching, but what if you don't have someone watched? :)

Fiz
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
For Streaming: Could we have a link to view all active streams instead of only four? (Or I assume that's all it shows. Haven't seen more, and the names shift.)

I totally get not wanting to spam the main page with them all, but like the viewing more submissions there should be an option for streaming. It's getting popular and I really enjoy watching people. Yes, you get notified if you are watching, but what if you don't have someone watched? :)

I already have that on the list:

"View more" for Critique wanted and Streaming Now

foxboyprower
10-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Folders related:

Custom folder thumbnails
Being able to have one image in multiple folders
Custom ordering of folders on page
Choosing own featured submission rather than defaulting to most recent
Folders for favorites and collections

I definitely want these changes implemented. It's the biggest thing that disappoints me about furaffinity. If even the folders for favorites are made, the site will have a big advantage over FA. After a while, favorites pile up and organization is a big problem. So yeah. This is one more request for these features.

Thunper
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet! but it would be nice to have a system that asks you if you truly wish to sign in/sign out follow/unfollow friend/unfriend rather then just having to click once to do so.

This will really help those who use a itouch or any other kind of touch pad from making constant silly mistakes!

skylerbunny
10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet! but it would be nice to have a system that asks you if you truly wish to sign in/sign out follow/unfollow friend/unfriend rather then just having to click once to do so.

This will really help those who use a itouch or any other kind of touch pad from making constant silly mistakes!

+1 to this. In order of increasing severity/pain:
1. For login/logout, it is a pain to re-log-in, but at least nothing worse comes of it. Even so, that's a bit 'too easy' to have happen.
2. In the case of follow/unfollow, an accidental click can make a message appear in the followed's user's notifications (that wasn't necessary).
3. But in the case of 'Friend', it forces said other user to actually re-friend you, thus forcing 'affirm action' for what may just be a mistake.

In these cases, but most especially the last one or last two, I could say this:

'It shouldn't be possible with one misdirected click, to do something that spams someone else's notifications inbox, or makes them have to take action to refriend you.'

Muzz
10-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Relating to folders: I noticed that if you have a fair amount of art in one particular folder, when you click 'next' to see the rest of it, it seems to start showing you art that is contained in the next folder. So I think a little editing needs to be done where only the items in /that/ particular folder should be seen until you actually click the next folder you wish to view, rather than clicking next. The 'next' button should lead to the rest of the art relating to the folder, not all the other art elsewhere.

Just something I noticed!

Temrin
10-30-2012, 01:54 PM
There was a thread that i cannot find now, about message center issues with the notifying numbers on the top of the page. How it was not giving the right number of comments compaired to what was actually listen in your message center, etc. (i cannt seem to find the thread :/ )

I noticed... Weirdly enough, that while you are clicking to different pages, it doesnt update the message center properly. But when you go to the home page of Weasyl, it updates properly o.O I've tested this a few times. I guess i never noticed the message center issue before because i would always have my page on the home page when i was done browsing so i could refresh and see new art coming in.

This should definitely be fixed. >.<

Tiger
10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
There was a thread that i cannot find now, about message center issues with the notifying numbers on the top of the page. How it was not giving the right number of comments compaired to what was actually listen in your message center, etc. (i cannt seem to find the thread :/ )

I noticed... Weirdly enough, that while you are clicking to different pages, it doesnt update the message center properly. But when you go to the home page of Weasyl, it updates properly o.O I've tested this a few times. I guess i never noticed the message center issue before because i would always have my page on the home page when i was done browsing so i could refresh and see new art coming in.

This should definitely be fixed. >.<

This thread: http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1127-Notification-Icon-counter
and this thread: http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1160-Notifications-note-count-doesn-t-always-match-page-itself&highlight=notification

And I really think it's an important thing to fix. It makes navigating the site and looking through my notifications a little confusing.

Temrin
10-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Ah I was using the wrong keywords (couldnt remember the title so i didnt see these.) Thanks! :D

Twilight
10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's a suggestion: Open the site to the publicand give "Beta Testers" beta access to new features before you implement them

there's so many people inviting other people they might as well... =_=

Temrin
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Its not a bad idea really. People could use what functions are available, and have the beta testers test the stuff in progress, and have up to date postings/updates on the site and on the forums about whats being tested/progess/etc. so people can see whats happening.

Because a lot of people dont seem to realize that its still a beta and things dont all work right now.

RadioCatastrophe
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
It's mostly closed/private because they don't want to stress test the system yet, and invites are limited to 10invite per month to help this. Also it gives the system a small stress test month by month until they've reached a peak and open it to the public.

Another reason why it's in closed beta is so people don't name hog, or register just to reserve a name and possibly never use the site again, or have nothing to contribute to the site (art wise, or by letting staff know of errors). The community is also more controllable at this rate as well C:

Eskiworks
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Concerning tags! I don't think editing tags should be left open to any member of the site, because the potential for abuse it just too big. Managing the abuse of an open tagging system seems like it would become a moderating nightmare both for staff and for individual gallery owners. It also takes the control of a person's work in their own gallery out of their hands, which isn't very fair in my opinion. So a couple solutions:

Add a checkbox if you want your submission to be open to public tagging.
Or only allow tag edits for Staff members.
Or perhaps have a "suggested tags" feature rather than letting it be automatically added.

At the very least have a system of notification when another member changes a tag on one of my images, if it's decided to keep public tagging open with no other options.

Gizmo
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Along with the edit submission being able to notify followers as well as anyone who faved the piece that was updated or changed.

Edit: I noticed that you can block/filter out your own submissions, I think this should be changed to only block filtered tags for other users.
Edit Edit: An easier way to remove/delete tag filters. Maybe double clicking them could remove them or drag-n-drop to a trash can icon or whatever.

That's a cool idea, but I think those implementations would be impractical for this site design. Something with check boxes would be more appropriate.

Khato
10-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Submission related:

I can't stress the importance of this one enough. I don't know why animated GIFs don't animate on the page itself, either (which I think is a related issue? It's the same "seperate page for seeing actual submission" problem). There doesn't seem to be any reason for it, the file type's the same, too. A good chunk of my work is animation, and I would really like for people to be able to see the animations I make without having to click download. Some people might even forget to click download. It's really a strange choice.

Here's a sample submission. (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/25580) It's nothing special, but there's something a little off about not being able to see it animate on the page.

I really like this site otherwise, it's just this one issue that's bugging me a lot.

armaina
10-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Didn't see the list, and I didn't quite see if anyone else has mentioned this, but, it would be nice to have folders for collections. Pretty sure a large portion would want to be able to divide collections up by character names or themes.

I'd also like to echo concerns about lack of animations for gifs. I'm betting part of the problem has to do with the thumbnail creation process, and the fact that it creates a new file for the viewed image, but I'm hoping it wouldn't be too complicated for a non-oversized animated gif to still appear animated without having to download/fullview it.

orangedragoness
10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a suggestion that I've not seen elsewhere.

On my own profile page, I can see buttons on the right just under the custom banner to "Follow Friend Message and Ignore" myself. Is it possible for these to be hidden from our own profile. What would happen if I accidently hit the "ignore" button on my own profile?

Fiz
10-31-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a suggestion that I've not seen elsewhere.

On my own profile page, I can see buttons on the right just under the custom banner to "Follow Friend Message and Ignore" myself. Is it possible for these to be hidden from our own profile. What would happen if I accidently hit the "ignore" button on my own profile?

Yea they need to be removed from own profiles.

Nothing happens if you hit those buttons on your page. Just says you can't ignore/follow yourself.

BigFatFae
10-31-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd like to reiterate the importance of allowing collcetions/characters to be visible on a person's profile page. Further, I'd like to suggest that characters be allowed to be associated with collections, folders, or submissions. In fact, if you could give character pages a unique tag, some sort of code that automatically displayed the character's name in the tags, you could use the tag system to tag characters, and then just have the associated images be anything with that tag, with veto ability given to the character owner.

Allowing people to 'request' collections and give artists a yes/no answer would also be helpful, especially when we get an eventual mass-uploader during beta, and then when it goes live, you start getting the people who commissioned the pieces getting onto the site.

Also, a 'fan-mode' and/or 'commissioner-mode' would be neat. Basically for people who don't have personal characters and largely just are in it for the community, and for people who want to show off their characters. It'd be entirely up to the person if they set those modes, but it'd allow their page to feature something else, like a larger shoutbox, or, as mentioned, character/collection pages, and would remove things like 'follow' on fan pages or 'commission status' or whatever. If it's supported by the design, then it doesn't become a negative trait in the community. After all, we can't all be artists, and we don't all have personal representation / kink characters.

SladinForever
11-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Three suggestions for submissions:

1] Add a scroll bar on the description box. This way if people write a bunch--like I sometimes do--they can easily scroll down to see the bottom, and vice versa--to go back to the top--

2] Say a piece of art you worked on was recorded for a speed drawing on youtube and you wanted to link the video in the description. Instead of putting in the URL BBCode--wish their was an option to use html or BBCode since I'm way more used to html--you can just paste the link and it automatically becomes clickable

3] Add a preview button to our description, so we can check to make sure all our BBCode tags were typed correctly, instead of us clicking Continue/Save and noticing we messed up and having to go back and edit

Mondegreen
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM

I'd suggest that an image is shown at full size right off, no reduced-size image at all.

I choose the size of my images carefully, and it's a bit of a downer to have the site show users a smaller version, so their first impression is one with loss of detail and quality. You can click "download", but how many actually do? I know I usually don't, it just doesn't seem intuitive. Maybe it's just me who thinks this is a problem, but IMO some images really suffer from the reduced size thing - e.g. this (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/18122) loses all its intended impact, even though it's only slightly smaller than the full size.

So I would appreciate a full image at first go. :3

Thistle
11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd really love to see a rich text editor for literary submissions or, at the very least, an option to upload other file types. I definitely don't mind a little extra work, but sometimes real life doesn't give me the time to go through a .txt and replace smart quotes / insert BBcode. :c

Twitch Cattz
11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Most art sites have an option in the viewing users settings to have full view as default on or off, I really want that option!

A fit screen option there would be awesome too. (shrinks it to fit within screen, doesn't scale up smaller images lol)

King Gigabyte
11-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Being able to remove or change the picture on a character page. I have yet to find out how to do this other than completely deleting the submission and redoing it with a new/updated picture of the character.

Fiz
11-01-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll try getting the main list in the original post updated soon with some of the suggestions that I've seen a lot. So far off the top of my head:

Automatic Link Parsing
Update for full view: Ability to enable or disable automatic full view
Upload other file types for literary (.doc, .docx, etc.)
Upload more file types in regards to music (.midi, .ogg, etc.)
Preview button for descriptions on all submissions and journals
Scroll bar on descriptions
Folders for collections
Space on userpage for an ID
Field on your page for an "artists info" space, separate from "profile" field
Removing follow/friend/ignore/message info from your own page
Auto tag complete
"Official" and "Suggested" Tags
Smart tagging
Mass/bulk uploading
Import from other sites uploading
Major improvements to groups (groups are in a WIP so basically everything needs fixing, so I won't be specific with these)
Easier Next and Back buttons on submissions (that isn't just the "more in folder" field)
Pop up for log-out ("are you sure you want to log out?") to keep from misclicking log out
Message center numbers updating properly (this is a bug I'm sure but putting it here regardless)
Scraps feature/folder
Allow uploads for .zip, .sai and .psd files and similar sort of files.
An official page to find all supported BBCode
Major fixes for compose/literary upload errors (disappearing characters, formatting errors, etc.)
Submissions show in root folder even if they're in a subfolder.
Specific followers settings to pop up after a user is followed
Invites additions (how many you have left, who you've invited, who has signed up with your invites, etc.)

Rei
11-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey all! I've been using the site and really loving it so far! You staff members are really doing a wonderful job with it, and I'm enjoying my stay :) Since I signed up while the site in is beta, I figure it's only fair that I put my two cents into this suggestions thread! Again, if this somehow doesn't fit in, feel free to delete.

There should be a "back to gallery" button implemented somewhere on a submission's page. I personally like to skip around galleries, and I'm certain many others do, and I just figure that it would be nice to have a button instead of just hitting "back" on your browser.

The ability to "Shuffle around" submissions in a gallery would also be a neat feature. A lot of people submit older art, and some people might want to keep their gallery in more of a chronological order.

A "scrapbook" type option, or "hide from gallery" option is definitely something that needs to be added!

And a major thing I noticed, and I don't know if I'm just missing it, but in your profile information you can put info such as other websites, screen names, so on so forth. This information doesn't show up ANYWHERE on your userpage! Definitely something that needs to be fixed/redesigned!

thanks again for the hard work you guys put into this site! Really looking forward to what's in store!

KajTaotsu
11-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Something that I noticed while working on organizing my submissions is that if you have subfolders inside other folders, and put submissins into the subfolders, those submissions disappear from the main folder's selection/list and makes the list look kind of spotched. I would suggest that submissions still show in main folders even if they're in subfolders.

Thistle
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Located the Compose feature (I'd always assumed it had to do with journals). It might be easier / more streamlined to include it on the Submit page, since it's kind of off by itself, instead of with other submission features.

Temrin
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
In regards to Thistle's suggestion, i think there needs to a better way to identify between compose/literary and journal submissions. I think the submit section/button should be kept to your traditional art site submissions. I understand journals are a type of submission as well, but typically, its got its own link, not a sub catagory of submit (on most sites.) So i think Compose and literary should be under submit. (probably an option under one page for literary submissions. Like when you click literary it will give you the option to compose of upload. I realize this isnt exact user friendly in the sense that you should be able to get anywhere in like 2 clicks... but still.) While journal should be where compose is on the top navigation of the site.

At least. Thats what i think anyways.

CHICAGO_lollie
11-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Small suggestion: In Settings > Edit Profile, under "Contact and Social Media", add fields for Vimeo, Bandcamp, and SoundCloud. Weasyl accepts these sites for submissions, and there's already a field for YouTube, so it's a no-brainer.

Fleki
11-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok, ideas. Yesterday I chatted with Zaush and here is a big problem for us on your site:

~ Tag system - we need a possability to copy tags, or have fave tags or something like that, because for example when you upload pages of a comic, it takes forever to write same tags every damn time.
~ Adding tags - Wolf-Nymph and me as well was FREAKED OUT when we realised that strangers can add ANY tags to our submissions. NOT cool. There should be function so artist can disable this thing.
~ TOP/Rating System - Will be cool to see TOP sorta thing, like list of users sorted by number of followers, most faved pictures at the site, most commented picures.

Eskiworks
11-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Don't worry, I'm not "freaked out" by the current tagging system, it's just not ideal in my opinion. ^^ But I've said my piece about it already, looking forward to new developments!

Fleki
11-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Don't worry, I'm not "freaked out" by the current tagging system, it's just not ideal in my opinion. ^^ But I've said my piece about it already, looking forward to new developments!

I deifinitely did XD I just think it more people will mention it, there is higher possability to be fixed!

RadioCatastrophe
11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Small suggestion: In Settings > Edit Profile, under "Contact and Social Media", add fields for Vimeo, Bandcamp, and SoundCloud. Weasyl accepts these sites for submissions, and there's already a field for YouTube, so it's a no-brainer.

x__x; Tried quoting this earlier, but I'd like for a field to be added labeled as "Website" possibly a Flickr as well?

Ceowolf
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I'll try getting the main list in the original post updated soon with some of the suggestions that I've seen a lot. So far off the top of my head

just gonna toss these up here since i see a few of the ones earlier mentioned an a few missed

-profile optional setting to link to a character
-events / calender (find out what conventions or things your favorite artist, friends, etc is going to!)
-email notifications and options
-sfw mode button
-remove your own work from the blocked tags
-easier way to remove/delete tag filters
-back to gallery button
-contact information for other sites, messengers, and screen names
-top rated/most faved on the front page of weasyl
-favorite tags (stuff you always use so you dont have to type them in every time you submit something)
-option to allow or disable guest access (block non users from viewing your submissions)
-option to have users be able to edit your tags be optional, or make it so they can suggest tags and you can approve them
-send a collection notification to inform a user they can collect on a piece of artwork
-having commission categories be drop down menus with option to expand all
-being able to set how many open slots you have

Fiz
11-02-2012, 06:14 PM
-top rated/most faved on the front page of weasyl

I believe on tumblr we stated that we're not really looking into having a top viewed/top faved category on the front page because we don't want things to be a popularity contest. I'll probably throw it on the list reglardless.

As for disabling guest access, that would be a nice extension of the "Hide my profile from users who aren't signed in" option. I was figuring it already worked that way, but just checked and it doesn't. The more ya know.

Matrices
11-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi there! I just finished enrollment in my new account today, and I've been dinking around and playing with stuff and I had several things pop out at me that I thought I would mention.

There seems to be a small bug (or non-feature?) where when a link is included in a description it stays plain text until you enclose it in url bbcode. It would be preferential for links to automatically be hyperlinked or whatever the term is.

I would like to see the option of aligning the userpage banner, mine is simple and would look best centered. Its default to align left, but the option isn't there to align right, center, or left.

I am a fursuit maker, is fursuit/costume work allowed? I love the categories so much, but its ambiguous as to which category a costume or clothing would belong. "Costume / Clothing design" would be my category suggestion if it were something permitted. To clarify, I'm not talking a photo of a fursuit I own and had a pic taken at a con. I'm talking a finished piece I am showing off to display what I made.
Some examples, http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7163985/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7765367/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9066023/
Sewing / Knitting is a possible appropriate category for the hoodie & the wrestling mask, but sewing/knitting seems like where I would place stuffed animals I'd made. There is so much more that goes into fursuit, clothing and costume making than simply sewing it, so I thought I would mention the suggestion.

I wish that you could browse by category. If you can, it is not clear how. I would love to just be able to browse the crafts category, for example. Is there something I am missing? Its not intuitive as a brand-new user how to do it.

Is there a way to incorporate a preview of the image uploaded in the description area? I find that I can't come up with as good of a description beforehand, and find myself editing it afterwords to include things I forgot. This is me being scatterbrained, but I know a preview of the image being uploaded would help the describing process. Let me know if you need clarification what I'm describing.

I hope these items can be considered! I will continue learning the site and see if there is anything else I can contribute to help improve the Beta.

Fiz
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I am a fursuit maker, is fursuit/costume work allowed? I love the categories so much, but its ambiguous as to which category a costume or clothing would belong. "Costume / Clothing design" would be my category suggestion if it were something permitted. To clarify, I'm not talking a photo of a fursuit I own and had a pic taken at a con. I'm talking a finished piece I am showing off to display what I made.
Some examples, http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7163985/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7765367/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9066023/
Sewing / Knitting is a possible appropriate category for the hoodie & the wrestling mask, but sewing/knitting seems like where I would place stuffed animals I'd made. There is so much more that goes into fursuit, clothing and costume making than simply sewing it, so I thought I would mention the suggestion.

Fursuit and costume work are totally allowed here. Sewing and making costumes is an art as well! Though a "Costume/Clothing design" subcategory sounds like a good idea.

I wish that you could browse by category. If you can, it is not clear how. I would love to just be able to browse the crafts category, for example. Is there something I am missing? Its not intuitive as a brand-new user how to do it.

Currently there's no real good way to browse by category. Currently you can search for a tag and you'll be brought up to a more extensive search with more options. You can use the drop down to go to whatever subcategory you want, but you need to have a search term in. This could really use some improvements but it's the best way to do it right now.

Is there a way to incorporate a preview of the image uploaded in the description area? I find that I can't come up with as good of a description beforehand, and find myself editing it afterwords to include things I forgot. This is me being scatterbrained, but I know a preview of the image being uploaded would help the describing process. Let me know if you need clarification what I'm describing.

There isn't an image preview function. It could be nice along with a preview description function.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Nightpaws
11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
In general, from just a quick look through the only obvious features that I think are necessary are a SFW option (As I can't use the site at Uni in it's current form), and the option to delete your own shouts, and shouts on your own wall.

I've managed to accidentally shout myself and it really looks a bit daft. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do so, then try to edit or delete their mistake to no avail.

CHICAGO_lollie
11-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I would like to see the option of aligning the userpage banner, mine is simple and would look best centered. Its default to align left, but the option isn't there to align right, center, or left.
Just throwing in a vote of support for this suggestion, or at least making it default to align center. In the event of small banners, centered banners would be way more common than left/right-aligned banners.

Ceowolf
11-03-2012, 03:24 AM
actually one more suggestion i would like to throw in here would be that if the notification system stays relatively the same as it is, once you have deleted all of the submissions / character, whichever one you empty, it reverts back to the rest of the notifications

Temrin
11-03-2012, 05:04 AM
@Ceowolf If it auto went back to the full list (like how DA does when you finish looking at notifications in one section) then yes yes :) I agree!

Aelius
11-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd definitely go for the list for Submission-related ideas. I have one to add (unless it's already been suggested; I haven't noticed it yet :) ). Would there be any way to see full images on the Submissions section of the Message Center, rather than thumbnails? Or instead, maybe an option to see smaller, full-image previews by mousing over the thumbnails?
Other than that, great site!

FeatheredCritter
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Please implement the nuke all and/or show all messages on one page w/ the delete all button. I almost don't want to check my messages because of all the back and forth clicking I have to do.

blarginator
11-04-2012, 12:28 AM
bottom right there should be something that says More in Folder "Commissions" (or whichever folder) and there is a back and forward with a couple imgs to go back and forward by

(I feel dumb because I just made a thread about this, and then I saw your reply here)

This doesn't appear to work the same way as a "backward" and "forward" button would, though, because it's not in any particular order. If you click the thumbnails in the "older" or "newer" columns, they are not the pictures immediately preceding or following the current picture in that folder; they seem to just be randomly selected from before or after it within the folder. I've had two "newer" submissions show up in the bottom right, clicked one, and then scrolled down again, and it shows there are no "newer" submissions following that, and the ones in the "older" column are completely different than the ones I saw on the previous submission and do not include the previous submission either!

Maybe I'm just encountering a glitch, or something, but the "older"/"newer" function is sort of pointless if it just randomly picks two older and two newer thumbnails for any given submission. Either that, or I'm missing something very important, and I'm just dumb.

Popful
11-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Would love a version of the site optimized for the 3DS browser. No other site has that, for some reason.

Supameep
11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
What about being able to push buttons on the keyboard to browse next and previous submission, or maybe make the next button not at the bottom of the page, It took me a while to even find it hehe.

Mearu
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
How about a tweet Submission checkbox? :)

Demu
11-09-2012, 02:23 AM
It might be nice if on profiles the whole page was preloaded and you could go between profile sections (submissions, collections, etc.) with some sort of jQuery or AJAX script instead of loading a new page entirely each time!

Cybercat
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
How about a Chat system? I think that'd be really cool.

RadioCatastrophe
11-10-2012, 01:02 AM

Nabyn had a front page chatting system, or did you mean for groups and the sort? 0:
Or even change the shouting system to real time chat if you're a prem member, or even a separate page for it C:

RSS chat logs

Acorn
11-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I dunno if this has been brought up or not or if this is the place to mention it, but I think it might be a good idea to have some kind of counter for invites and a way of knowing when you've run out and when it's rolled over. As it stands, I didn't know I was out when I was sending invites out a couple weeks ago, and I can't tell when it's rolled over without like wasting invites to send to a dummy email because it doesn't have anything to inform you when there's none.

Fiz
11-10-2012, 02:36 PM

A chat system is something that we want to create in the future.

I dunno if this has been brought up or not or if this is the place to mention it, but I think it might be a good idea to have some kind of counter for invites and a way of knowing when you've run out and when it's rolled over. As it stands, I didn't know I was out when I was sending invites out a couple weeks ago, and I can't tell when it's rolled over without like wasting invites to send to a dummy email because it doesn't have anything to inform you when there's none.

Yep, this has been suggested a few times and is in fact in my list of suggestions I need to add to the original post.

Salmy
11-11-2012, 09:28 AM
SITE'S NAVIGATION:

As a gallery sites' 'compulsive user', there's several things I think Weasyl should address in order to make people stay and have fun while browsing/using the site.

Some of those things were already addressed, and I second them (for example, not having to go to each type of submissions' page so you can check them and delete them), but there's something else that is kinda needed, and that's full previews.

For being an art site, the thumbnails system here really don't do much to display art. The thumbnails are way too small (they look almost like avatars in a social network site) and you can't know who made it or what the name is unless you go over the image, and that information gets /over/ the image.

While it's a pretty ccs3 effect, for people wanting to see art (especially while 'browsing') and directly identify those artists they like or know, it's quite a hindrance. To say the least, it'd be cool to have both a 'thumbnail size' option and/or a 'show thumbnailed original submission isntead of custom thumbnail' option on your profile. Many of us prefer to see a real (and big, please) preview of what we're going to open in a new tab so we won't have to waste time, your bandwith and both yours and our resources to open stuff we don't really care much about.

COLLECTIONS:

Collections is a /great/ idea, because many people, like me, are just comissioners, and it's really cool and convenient to keep your watchers while at the same time being able to display the original submission from the artist's gallery instead of duplicating them, having to point your viewers to the original submission, etc.

I suppose that Weasyl is still very much in 'diapers', and that a lot of these features are already planned, but anyway, I'd suggest a couple of things to improve this feature:

- Like somebody else pointed out, make it possible for comissioners to ask the artist to 'share' a piece of art for their collection. Mostly /now/ that the site is starting off, there must be a /lot/ of old comissions done by artists for years that they can't just begin to search for their customers in Weasyl so they can share them as collections. It'd be way easier for me, for example, to find the artists I comissioned and just remind them to share their work with me.

- Faves for comissioned collected pictures should be shared between the artist and the comissioner. Why? Because even though art is (c) the artist, most of times people like comissioners as well because they're like the 'producers' of art. They like either a character or a comissioners' own tastes to choose the right artists for their comissions, so it's fair. In that way, if a collected piece gets a fav, either in the comissioner's gallery or in the artist's, it will count to both their favs.

- Collecter to be able to change/add description to the collected piece: OK, I still haven't collected anything here, so I dunno if this is already implemented or not, but comissioners usually have their own story regarding a piece of art they comissioned that would be /cool/ if it could show in both the original submission's page and the collector's.

FOR SUBMITTERS:

There's a cool feature Inkbunny has that I haven't seen in any other art site so far, which is multiple files per submission. It's SO cool to be able to display the sketch, inks, plain and shade colors, either as WIP's or as a full submission, and to get 'updates' of them in the inbox. Weasyl gotta have that too!

FOR CODERS:

You guys got an API yet? As the coder of the FA2Inkbunny script, I've been asked why not doing one for Weasyl. Well, for one, an API is needed for that, if you guys are willing to work with the artists and make life easier and more comfortable for them so they can move or duplicate their galleries from Furaffinity or other sources.

And that's all for now! xD Keep up the good work and my best wishes for your project :3

Fiz
11-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Salmy, all of those are really good suggestions. Thank you for being so specific with them!

Also, we will have an open API sometime in the future.

GalixArtistry
11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Maybe add a "Newest" and "Previous" button just above the submission name when viewing a picture? So that way when you view a submission you don't have to go back to the full gallery list just to see another picture from the same artist.

If this is already on the site, maybe i'm blind and don't see it...

RadioCatastrophe
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Maybe add a "Newest" and "Previous" button just above the submission name when viewing a picture? So that way when you view a submission you don't have to go back to the full gallery list just to see another picture from the same artist.

If this is already on the site, maybe i'm blind and don't see it...

If you go to a submission and look at the lower right you will see images that come before and after it. Not in the immediate order though.

GalixArtistry
11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
If you go to a submission and look at the lower right you will see images that come before and after it. Not in the immediate order though.

Well no, I see that but I'm saying maybe one that does it in order? That way the order isnt mixed up. Like say your posting a sequence of images that make a story, to look at them in order you'd have to open a lot more tabs, one pic of the sequence in each, just to view it right. With the "More In Folder ____" option you'd get the sequence all out of order and it wouldn't make since.

RadioCatastrophe
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Most people link the images of the sequence, since not all artists drawn them all out at once.. but I get what you mean. I'm sure it's been suggested before, I've seen it pop-up in other threads, I'm not sure if it's on the front page, even if it isn't, it might be on another page waiting to be added.

Khato
11-13-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just a temporary thing, but SWF files are a concern for me right now, just like GIFs. I just want to make sure it won't stay like this forever.

I have a series I'm crossposting from FA, and when it gets to the flash entry it just chokes and ruins the stage bounderies I've designed it around. Going to a new page seems to be a necessary evil for now, but right now it's a little unworkable.

Example on Weasyl: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/42449 (eh, warning: fatty. And flagrant disregard for planescape lore)

Ideally I'd like it to show on the page itself, like with embedded video. Without the canvas constriction, it flashes and shows all the offstage stuff that would normally be hidden. It shows up pretty well on FA:

Example on FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9205650/

So it doesn't make a very pretty sight when the swf file flips out like this.

Will this be fixed? It's kind of worrying me.

foxboyprower
11-13-2012, 02:17 AM
I think an alert system organized by artist uploads would be very helpful for managing alerts, but I can live without that however relatively inconvenient the current system is.

The biggest thing I would like to see put in, is the ability to move submissions around in your own gallery. It's currently in just the order you submitted them. If anything is resubmitted or edited, that one will move to the top. I write a lot of sequential stuff. It would be a huge pain if I changed chapter 4 and it suddenly is the last or first chapter listed. I don't feel comfortable submitting stuff until I can move stuff around. The more I add, the more stuff might get stuck in the wrong spot.

Also, I've posted a lot of suggestions already, but I haven't said a thing about what a great job you guys have been doing on things. Keep it up! It'll be great to see what this site can become.

Graviolies
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
There really should be a way to keep from getting links to inactive streams on the front page. Maybe have the stream sink off the front page if no one has clicked the link in X amount of minutes/hours. Or an automatic reset after a timer. Also being able to localize the time zone in your site settings would be nice so it's easier than trying to find the server time to see how long a stream has been up.

Squeedge
11-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I've been using the site for... about a month now, I think? Overall, I love it, but I do have suggesstions. Right now it's just in regards to COMMENTS, though!

- I would like an option to either hide or delete comments.

- When replying to a comment, the reply box is at the very bottom of the page where I can not usually see what I'm replying to. This is VERY annoying, especially when I have a lot of comments or something long to reply to. Having to scroll up and down repeatedly is a bit of a chore. I would like to see the reply dialogue either appear directly underneath comments (e.g. deviantART), or at least have the reply box quote what I'm replying to (e.g. FurAffinity). This is my biggest complaint concerning comments, and I hope it's addressed soon because it's actually somewhat ruining an otherwise good experience!

- Add a preview option for comments (and journals!).

- Maybe add a link to "view all shouts" at the bottom of the profile page, near the reply box? The link to shouts seems a mite awkward in its current position. It might even be better listed after "Profile?"

Oh, AND ONE OTHER THING NOT RELATED TO COMMENTS:

Regarding comments and notifications, each section (shouts, submission comments, journal comments) should have their own buttons for "select all" and such. In other words, each section should be able to be managed separately. Otherwise, it's a hassle when I want to keep some notifications but not others, because I have to individually click click click the check boxes.

DragonTrainer
11-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Good morning. Well, aside to say that I'm loving the site, I have a suggestion:

Edit comments feature.

But, typical of furries, this is very likely to be abused. So, my full suggestion is: Allowing people to edit their own comments during 3-5 minutes after posting the comment. That way we can fix any typo or grammar mistake after replying (invaluable for non native speakers), wouldnt be abused and would avoid something like hidden comments because you committed a mistake when replying, hid the comment and replied again.

OVERLORD
11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Is it possible to have more convenient watchlist submission management, like a big 'Nuke all' button?

Temrin
11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
@Overlord the nuke all button has been suggested a few times : )

RadioCatastrophe
11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Is it possible to have more convenient watchlist submission management, like a big 'Nuke all' button?

Always best to check the first page before trying to add onto the list! It's listed under the "Message Center" category.

Grantailar
11-18-2012, 04:44 PM
does user search mean a browse feature for artist or is it just making a artist a tag for searches in general?

TheAvianLimits
11-22-2012, 05:07 AM
I think it would be awesome to be able to link artwork of a character to its original character profile.
For instance, if you go into the character profile you can hit a button called "more of *character's name*", and artwork related to this character will appear, regardless if it is artwork made by the owner of it, or just simply fan-art. It would be cool if it worked the other way around; discovering a piece of art with a character you like, you can get to its character profile through that artwork.
I can imagine that this would work best if you have to make a request between the character's owner, and the artist who made the artwork to link the profile with the art. :>

SladinForever
11-26-2012, 03:22 AM
I didn't see it in the already suggested post, so here's an addition I'd like to see: Where the Commission/Request/Trades status is, can we get a "collaboration/collab" status? I do collabs frequently now and would like people to know that they are open. I guess I can put it as a Trade, but collabs aren't necessarily the same as trades, so it might confuse people. Collabs don't necessarily mean requests either, so I wouldn't set it as OPEN either. Just a thought!

Vitani
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I didn't see it in the already suggested post, so here's an addition I'd like to see: Where the Commission/Request/Trades status is, can we get a "collaboration/collab" status? I do collabs frequently now and would like people to know that they are open. I guess I can put it as a Trade, but collabs aren't necessarily the same as trades, so it might confuse people. Collabs don't necessarily mean requests either, so I wouldn't set it as OPEN either. Just a thought!

I actually quite like this suggestion. I've thought about suggesting it before but then wondered on the merit of it. I think it could be a valuable addition to the site. Especially for those who have a majority of work in the Collaboration area.

Mearu
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I've been thinking, curiously. (dangerous thing I know, especially unsupervised ;) )

I have a couple suggestions, far too often so many of us use many different sites to promote and sell out art for whatever reasoning. Furbid/Furbuy/Dealers Den to auction ar, even FA to do some post auctioning.

Bidding/Auction option for submissions? Front page would be easy enough to have a current auctions listing. Paypal/Google Cart what have you being the payment options and such. Buyers protected under Paypal. It is just a thought to make this a bit nicer and more an all-in-one site artists tools and client tools will make it all easier for everyone if they don't have some 10 different places to create user name and accounts etc in.

Tips Jar - Inkbunny has this lovely lil option to tip artists! they link their paypal account and anyone can tip them for their works, its just a nice gesture and a simple one I think.

Digital Purchases - Either downloading or ordering a print of said submission - options would be digital download or direct request from the artist for a physical print. This same thing could be perhaps incorporated into commission purchases as well.

I know most of these ideas sound like a headache but I'd be more than happy to try and create a skeleton base to show proof of concept.

Cheers!
Mearú Swagtail

Fiz
11-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I've been thinking, curiously. (dangerous thing I know, especially unsupervised ;) )

I have a couple suggestions, far too often so many of us use many different sites to promote and sell out art for whatever reasoning. Furbid/Furbuy/Dealers Den to auction ar, even FA to do some post auctioning.

Bidding/Auction option for submissions? Front page would be easy enough to have a current auctions listing. Paypal/Google Cart what have you being the payment options and such. Buyers protected under Paypal. It is just a thought to make this a bit nicer and more an all-in-one site artists tools and client tools will make it all easier for everyone if they don't have some 10 different places to create user name and accounts etc in.

Tips Jar - Inkbunny has this lovely lil option to tip artists! they link their paypal account and anyone can tip them for their works, its just a nice gesture and a simple one I think.

Digital Purchases - Either downloading or ordering a print of said submission - options would be digital download or direct request from the artist for a physical print. This same thing could be perhaps incorporated into commission purchases as well.

I know most of these ideas sound like a headache but I'd be more than happy to try and create a skeleton base to show proof of concept.

Cheers!
Mearú Swagtail

The digital purchases and bidding/auction options are things staff have talked about previously and things we would love to have on the site in the future. That said, it likely won't be in the near future.

As for the tip jar, thats a good idea! Maybe we could have it be part of the commission info area?

drat
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Some humble suggestions

- Add the person who invited you as a friend on the new account (or at least suggest it). Particularly important while there's no working user search. I got in and had to figure out the URL format and guess around a few times to find her!

- Link pages in your own profile (e.g. Characters, Journals) to the relevant Submit page (e.g. Submit a character, submit a journal).

- Trivial complaint, but the form styling could do with some work. It's totally not clear that the pull-downs (select boxes) are pull-downs.

- Can I submit a Character with an image I've had commissioned from someone else? It seems to conflict with the idea of Collections, and doesn't credit the original artist. It makes sense for people who commissioned reference sheets to put them here, as well as other art of that character (already commonly suggested).

- It might make sense to offer a different UI for people like me who don't produce art. Pretty low priority, and would probably need to be optional.

- Resist feature creep. I think you've got it pretty good right now. Do you have a plan for evaluating and/or limiting new features?

foxboyprower
12-02-2012, 01:20 PM
something I would love to see added eventually is the ability to easily sort your gallery (or the contents of a folder) in whatever way you want. Along with that, the "newer/older" buttons could be replaced with "next/previous" (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1602-Sorting-gallery-beyond-quot-older-newer-quot) buttons that take the viewer to the next piece of work in the arrangement the artist put them in. It would really be helpful to writers such as myself who do a lot of chronological work. If I eIit something it screws up the order. I would love being able to click and drag my submissions around in my gallery to sort them like DA lets me. The thing I love about weasyl is how it gives artists tools to organize their work. So this would be very helpful to that end.

Sci
12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't see it on the list, so I'd like to suggest some user-side notification of submissions being reported. Not for the more serious ones since those aught to be handled by admins IMO and a user deleting the evidence could be used for trolling, but something like an alert if someone things the rating or category for a submission is incorrect.

I uploaded a few pictures in the past few days and noticed one had been reported. I presumed someone thought my judgement call on it's age rating was too low, so I changed it up. The reported status of it appears now to have changed back to normal.
Unless I'd gone back and looked through my gallery though I'd have never known anything was amiss, and I suspect mis-categorising or rating a submission is going to be the most common issue. Wether by misjudgement or by selecting the wrong area on the pull-down menu. Most art sites I've seen it's just taken a "hey, think you need to change this" in the submission notes.

So I'd like to see something in the notifications area that just says "GenericUser12345 thinks this needs to be rated Mature not PG13" or "3 users think this is should be content type X" (to keep it anonymous). It'd probably help admins keep their workload down since most folk will change these things themselves if pointed out, but can still be approached statistically by logging to see if any users are habitually bad at it and need an admin-level poking.
Obviously it all still needs to be reported to admins in case an artist doesn't log on to see the issue, but allowing folk deal with it themselves means a lot will be dealt with before admins get to it. (I presume there's some sort of back-end Report queuing system items can be removed from if dealt with or updated automatically if the issue status changes)

Swampwulf
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
I would LOVE to be able to:
- put a 'collected' piece in a specific, related folder (or folders as appropriate).
- link/associate a folder to a character.

Be able to transfer 'ownership' to the creator of a piece of art if they decide to join Weasyl after I've uploaded art they've done for me.

12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I have a suggestion. I didn't see it on the already-suggested list, so here it is!

How about a built-in system for purchasing commissions? You already have the ability to LIST commissions. How about a way for the artist/author/crafter/whatever to list the commission slot as if it were an item in an online store, collect the info he or she needs from the commissioner, and for the commissioner to pay via Paypal right from Weasyl?

Here's another suggestion.
Someone mentioned collaborations before. How about a way to display right in the submission title that the submission is a collab with [USER]?

Another suggestion:
I and many others love how easy it is to create a customized thumbnail. However, when looking at a large list of submissions as thumbnails and seeing only a little portion of the picture, it's difficult to tell just what I'm about to see. How about including the option to display the full picture in a small floating thumbnail on mouseover? That would keep the organization of the site, and the nifty thumbnail feature, yet give users the option to preview the full image before actually clicking it, and thus make it easier to choose which submissions to look at--and further protect users from things they cannot unsee.

Another:
A "Keep Me Logged In" feature might be nice. In certain situations, it'd be nice not to have to log in again and again.

Another:
A native mobile app! Okay, okay, I know, this one would be for waaay down the road, but a Weasyl app for iPhone and iPad and Android would be really great sometime in the future.

Hope these are useful! I'll post if I have more. :3

Vitani
12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
A native mobile app! Okay, okay, I know, this one would be for waaay down the road, but a Weasyl app for iPhone and iPad and Android would be really great sometime in the future.

I hear tell that an API is under discussion, but once one is made public I'm sure a Android app will be in the pipeline. Apple wouldn't allow such an app since they don't allow adult rated content, since Weasyl can host such content, it would fail the system automatically. (Unless the app was designed to only show General and Mature content and hide all adult content.

12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I hear tell that an API is under discussion, but once one is made public I'm sure a Android app will be in the pipeline. Apple wouldn't allow such an app since they don't allow adult rated content, since Weasyl can host such content, it would fail the system automatically. (Unless the app was designed to only show General and Mature content and hide all adult content.

Are you sure? I thought Xtube had an app... or maybe that's just a mobile version. I dunno. x3

weykent
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Another:
A "Keep Me Logged In" feature might be nice. In certain situations, it'd be nice not to have to log in again and again.

"again and again"? by default, users stay logged in for a year unless they explicitly log out. if you're experiencing issues, it would probably be worth posting a thread to the site issues forum.

Vitani
12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Are you sure? I thought Xtube had an app... or maybe that's just a mobile version. I dunno. x3

I'm pretty sure it would have been just a mobile version of the site.

While I don't think Weasyl has a native mobile template (Moreover a restructured design for smaller displays) I'm sure a native mobile design or app wouldn't be too hard an addition to make.

QuetzaDrake
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I have a tiny suggestion regarding Collections: keeping a record on the submission page itself of people who have the image in their Collections. By this I just mean, like, showing the icons of the people next to each other in the sidebar of information, probably within or near the "Send Collection Offer" section, essentially a "People who have this in their Collections" section. That way, just in case you forget or you want to be extra-sure, you can see that the person has accepted your Collections offer and it's in their gallery. It also helps other people who see the submission and want to go look at that person's own art or collection, but the artist neglected or forgot to link to the commissioner/recipient of the art's Weasyl page.

Ceowolf
12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
something ive noticed recently is since you can tag literary, video and audio with pictures, ive clicked on several things expecting a piece of art and its something else.

so my suggestion is on the display pic kinda like how you have red on the outside corner for rated ones, maybe drop in a little vid reel for videos, a music note for audio, little piece of paper for literary etc just so at quick glance you can decern what each piece is without having to mouse over every one of them.

Tiger
12-06-2012, 12:09 AM
something ive noticed recently is since you can tag literary, video and audio with pictures, ive clicked on several things expecting a piece of art and its something else.

so my suggestion is on the display pic kinda like how you have red on the outside corner for rated ones, maybe drop in a little vid reel for videos, a music note for audio, little piece of paper for literary etc just so at quick glance you can decern what each piece is without having to mouse over every one of them.

This this this so much. It would be incredibly helpful, especially when looking for a particular kind of artwork (like songs and such). And it would make a Ferret's job much easier, as well.

Neybulot
01-07-2013, 05:15 AM
I have a tiny suggestion regarding Collections: keeping a record on the submission page itself of people who have the image in their Collections. By this I just mean, like, showing the icons of the people next to each other in the sidebar of information, probably within or near the "Send Collection Offer" section, essentially a "People who have this in their Collections" section. That way, just in case you forget or you want to be extra-sure, you can see that the person has accepted your Collections offer and it's in their gallery. It also helps other people who see the submission and want to go look at that person's own art or collection, but the artist neglected or forgot to link to the commissioner/recipient of the art's Weasyl page.

This is exactly what I was hoping to suggest, and I find it funny (haha funny, not weird) who suggested it. :p

NamelessTraveler
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Something that I think would be cool to impliment sometime when things calm down a bit would be a chat. :D
Forums are ok, but I like chats much better, and I know that there are other people that feel the same way too. :P

RadioCatastrophe
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Something that I think would be cool to impliment sometime when things calm down a bit would be a chat. :D
Forums are ok, but I like chats much better, and I know that there are other people that feel the same way too. :P

Where? Nabyn had a chat on the frontpage, but I don't know of any other art site that does this. IRC? Groups only like DA?

NamelessTraveler
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Where? Nabyn had a chat on the frontpage, but I don't know of any other art site that does this. IRC? Groups only like DA?

I was thinking at some time, it could be an IRC channel, with a client usable on-site, so that everyone could use it; that's yet another things that other art sites are lacking in, in my opinion. I know that FA has its own IRC, and DA's chats are open for everyone, but I don't think either of them have both IRC and an on-site thing going at the same time. :3

RadioCatastrophe
01-08-2013, 11:57 PM
I was thinking at some time, it could be an IRC channel, with a client usable on-site, so that everyone could use it; that's yet another things that other art sites are lacking in, in my opinion. I know that FA has its own IRC, and DA's chats are open for everyone, but I don't think either of them have both IRC and an on-site thing going at the same time. :3

I wouldn't mind chats for the groups, as well as just an all-chat for the site for those who don't wish to join a group for the sake of chatting.

weykent
01-09-2013, 01:40 AM
irc.anthrochat.net, #weasyl

use a web irc client if you want, but I don't think there's really a pressing need to put an irc applet on the mainsite. eventually it'll probably be publicized more.

NamelessTraveler
01-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Ah, thanks weyken, I'll check it out. :)
No, not an urgent thing, but it'd be something nice to do in the future (And to better publicize the IRC, I didn't think even that existed at the moment! xD)

GingerM
01-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Just a list I compiled of common suggestions that our user's have given us. Though, just because something is on this list, does not mean it will be implemented!
Character related:

Custom fields for additional info (on the lines of weight, height etc. type fields)

Adding to character-related submissions:

For the main character image, the ability to use an image already in one's gallery or collection. Thus, if someone commissions art of a character from an artist and the artist offers it as a collection item, the user can just link to that instead of having to re-upload the sheet.
The ability to update/change the main character image in a character listing. At the moment if you want to change the image, you have to delete the character and re-post entirely, which is annoying.

Collections related:

Being able to request an image to collection
Featuring collection to user's front page

Adding to the collections ideas:

Allowing the collection recipient(s) to add their own information to the write-up; also to subsequently edit that information. Of course, they should NOT be able to alter anything entered by the original artist, nor anything entered by anyone else who was offered the collection.
Collection items should NOT be their own separate section of a user's profile, either. In my view, they should be like shortcuts or links, perhaps with a small graphics overlay on/adjacent to the image to cue the viewer that this is a collection item. But collections can be visual, written, musical, so they should sort into the appropriate area of the collection recipient's gallery, not be put off on their own.

NoctisIgnem
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
For those still wanting a full resolution image option with quality switcher button, I've made a script that does just this: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/156179.

Tell me what you think?!?

NamelessTraveler
01-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Another one that I've noticed! :D

Sometimes people will leave their streams open even after they're over with, and that's a bit troublesome... Although a more accessible stream on/off button would help a bit, I don't think it will completely eradicate the problem because some people (Myself included) are just forgetful like that. x)

Maybe there could be a sort of "Report" button (No, the people wouldn't get in trouble, I just don't have a better word for it. x) ) that people surfing through the streams could click, and if enough people clicked on it, then the streaming status would be turned off, and taken off of the page?

Rhazafax
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I would seriously use this site more if I could have a nuke-all button. I don't like having to dance through different sections to clear my messages.

Tiger
01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
I've seen several people now that have been having banner/avatar issues but are unaware of the ctrl+F5 page refresh. Is there a place on the site that this info could be posted? I was thinking perhaps on the upload pages for the banners and avatars.

weykent
02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I've seen several people now that have been having banner/avatar issues but are unaware of the ctrl+F5 page refresh. Is there a place on the site that this info could be posted? I was thinking perhaps on the upload pages for the banners and avatars.

there's much better technical fixes for this such that nobody has to refresh. needing to tell the browser to clear its cache is better described as a symptom of a problem rather than a fix.

it's something that I'm looking into resolving anyway.

MadFerret
02-06-2013, 04:35 AM
What about the ability to display on a picture if critique is wanted?

I figured it's a small, simple suggestion so I'd post it here.

ShadWolf
02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I think it might be nice if could have a cross-notification counter between the art site and the forums, so you can be notified of when there's a new post on the forums if you're on the art part of the site you get a little counter in the notifications telling you there's something new of interest to see on the forums. I don't suppose it could be achieved through PHP scripting? ^_^ …but knowing how much PHP can do I don't think that be impossible since it would have to run checks on threads your subscribed to, if you're subscribed to them and notifies you of new posts. But then again… not too sure how that would mingle with VB's forum's code. ^_^;

Medulla Oblongata
02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Is there a way I can disable downloads of my artwork? Apologies if this feature exists, or if this is already in the works.

Fiz
02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Is there a way I can disable downloads of my artwork? Apologies if this feature exists, or if this is already in the works.

There isn't, sorry.

Phoenixe
02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Bump!

Fiz
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Bump!

No reason to bump a pinned thread, lol.

Stefan
02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
So I already saw that the suggestion I had was already listed in the first post, but I still would want to share my opinions about it and maybe extend the suggestion a little.

I think it would be good, if collection images and maybe even favs as well would be shown on the user's frontpage, maybe by dividing the upper row that is now used for gallery submissions by 3, to show the same amount of pictures of each category.
And/or by adding a field for each between the Folders and Shouts area.
It would give the user's frontpage a way more interactive look, plus it would make the user's frontpage look more active/filled, especially for these people who are no artists.

The biggest amount of users only will commission or fav artwork, they are no artists themselves, so either their user page will look really empty and unused (unless you dig deeper through the collection and fav tab). ...or they'll start uploading their commissions to their gallery to prevent an empty profile, which might result in images getting uploaded twice, once by the artist and once by the commissioner.

Except that, I just would want a Nuke All-Button on the submission/character page... it's a little annoying that I first have to go to the character gallery to delete the submissions as I'm usually not interested in new characters.

Except for the points mentioned above, I really like Weasyl already. Love the fresh layout and especially the function to friend and follow users. This way I can keep interesting people close and friends even closer, thumbs up!

one_time_use11145
02-18-2013, 03:45 AM
i think a feature of being able to follow people by tying their username in would be nice. because a lot of artists ar emoving in from FA and it will be a pain to manually search an d watch them all @_@

TigerBeacon
02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd like to ask will there be any kind of moderation when it comes to file downloads? I'm not exactly a fan of having a big download button on every submission where anyone can just pick up the file. In DA you had the option to disable it or allow only a certain size to be viewed, while on FA you're limited to a 1200x1200 sized picture so its not always the best resolution.

Maybe (and I'm aware of this being suggested already, but would like to repeat for emphasis) a little more comprehensive system for viewing submissions? The thumbnails are a nice gimmick, but it doesn't really provide the size and space for a good preview image, which I feel is important when it comes to looking through multiple galleries of artwork without having to click on each and every thumbnail to see the entire thing. Maybe something where hovering over the thumbnail for a second or two will make a small preview pop up?

And lastly, would it be too much trouble adding a Creative Commons License option in the submissions? I like the outline you have there in your Guidelines about Copyright, but I don't think this is immediately obvious to most people. Its a lot easier and faster to get the message across if you can set and apply Copyright stipulations to submissions to show the degrees of sharing you allow on particular artworks, between those that are personal works and those that are free to use.

Dark
02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
And lastly, would it be too much trouble adding a Creative Commons License option in the submissions? I like the outline you have there in your Guidelines about Copyright, but I don't think this is immediately obvious to most people. Its a lot easier and faster to get the message across if you can set and apply Copyright stipulations to submissions to show the degrees of sharing you allow on particular artworks, between those that are personal works and those that are free to use.

YouTube actually already does this and it seems to be working.

Onnes
02-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd like to ask will there be any kind of moderation when it comes to file downloads? I'm not exactly a fan of having a big download button on every submission where anyone can just pick up the file. In DA you had the option to disable it or allow only a certain size to be viewed, while on FA you're limited to a 1200x1200 sized picture so its not always the best resolution.

You may want to expand a bit on what you want added to the current way submissions are viewed. Do you want a system like flickr has where the artist can select what sizes of an uploaded image the site presents to viewers? And/or the option to disable saving entirely?

As it stands, I think it's assumed artists will upload whatever size image they want ultimately made available to visitors.

TigerBeacon
02-18-2013, 10:22 PM
You may want to expand a bit on what you want added to the current way submissions are viewed. Do you want a system like flickr has where the artist can select what sizes of an uploaded image the site presents to viewers? And/or the option to disable saving entirely?

As it stands, I think it's assumed artists will upload whatever size image they want ultimately made available to visitors.

More like the way DA handles it, where an artist can load the largest possible image for viewing purposes but can choose to make it available/disable downloading. And before anyone mentions, yes, I know its still possible to download images without the Download button. I just thought if it was possible to limit the circulation of images by not making it widely available for downloading if the artist doesn't wish it to.

ShadWolf
02-19-2013, 12:54 AM
yeah I'd like that option of being able to select the resolution of the image, because the current size kinda limits seeing the full quality of the image, and the only way to view it in it's high-quality fullness it by hitting Download button.

Would be nice to have it sorta similar to how DeviantArt does it where you can select the size you want, but still restricting what the maximum size can be, cuz you know… some artists like to upload excessively massive image which stretches the page out beyond the users viewing screen.

Say for example someone uploads a pic at 2200x4000 that would totally stretch the page out so far, but if you were to limit the size to about a 3rd of it's actual size as the selectable option based upon it's actual full resolution when it detects the pixel size of the image.

skunkbybirth
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Will there be different rules for group accounts made here? I was thinking of making one but I don't want to until I understand clearly what is and is not allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

Will there be different rules for group accounts made here? I was thinking of making one but I don't want to until I understand clearly what is and is not allowed.

NamelessTraveler
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I know I'll probably be the only one who even cares about this, or even likes this idea, but can you guys please put the profile page back the way it was, with two columns? I despise everything being all centered and being in one column; I liked how before you could see the art, and the person's profile information at the same time; I thought that it was really great! Now you have to scroll down just to see someone's journals or latest art. Its a major thing for me, its really dampening my experience here to tell you the truth...

And for the notifications, could you make a larger distinction between them on the page, like a divider of some sort? :)

Thank you guys for working so hard on everything! ^_^

Taw
02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I know I'll probably be the only one who even cares about this, or even likes this idea, but can you guys please put the profile page back the way it was, with two columns? I despise everything being all centered and being in one column; I liked how before you could see the art, and the person's profile information at the same time; I thought that it was really great! Now you have to scroll down just to see someone's journals or latest art. Its a major thing for me, its really dampening my experience here to tell you the truth...

And for the notifications, could you make a larger distinction between them on the page, like a divider of some sort? :)

Thank you guys for working so hard on everything! ^_^

I believe this issue is due to your browser size being reduced or the page is zoomed. Try pressing ctrl + 0 to reset the zoom on the page or increase your browser window size and it'll go back to two columns.

NamelessTraveler
02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
I believe this issue is due to your browser size being reduced or the page is zoomed. Try pressing ctrl + 0 to reset the zoom on the page or increase your browser window size and it'll go back to two columns.

Thank you so much! :D

Sax
02-20-2013, 04:23 AM
I don't think I've seen it suggested: could it be possible that when you accept someone as a friend, you have the option to follow him/her?

blarginator
02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
I posted about it here already, and in another thread (here: http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1328-Submission-navigation-through-folders-not-working-properly), but I figured I would re-post it in a succinct manner and hopefully get an up-to-date answer on if there are plans to change any of this:

On a submission page, the "more in folder" function at the bottom is determined completely at random, rather than in sequential order as one might expect. This wouldn't be a problem except that there are only thumbnails to click through, which means I have no idea what any of those pictures actually are until I click them. I feel like this would either need to be redone so that they are displayed in sequential order, or that thumbnails would need to expand when moused over to show the "full" picture so that I know what I'm clicking on. Otherwise, the "more in folder" function seems pretty useless.

Are there plans to have thumbnails expand to show the full picture (I imagine this is a bigger overhaul because thumbnails show up everywhere on the site)? And/or are there plans to revamp the "more in folder" function so that it's in sequential order? I was told back in November that the answer to these questions was no, but I'm wondering with the influx of new people if this has been reconsidered. Sorry to (potentially) beat a dead horse.

Thanks!

ZahnFitz
02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Don't think I have seen this suggested:

When a user searches for something on the main site possibly have it show how many results there are for a given search as well as what page a user is currently on out of the total. Examples given below.

Total Results:

Number of Pages:
3 - 92
or
1 ... 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 ... 200

Varden
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Yes hi and yes hi I know first post, shalom shalom and that nonsense.

Two things I haven't seen listed on the list here or page one of this forum:
A sexier search page.
http://puu.sh/25NJN
Look at that. The buttons. The stuff. The stuff. The weasyl search is heavy on the either/or. A widdle button just below Search with options for an advanced search splash page would be yes. Very yes.

Tags. Tags are cool. Could we track tags. There's updates for submissions, characters, and collections, a little section for tags you're tracking right above them mite b cool. Just have a lil option to "Track this term" when you search (a'la Tumblr) and get notifications of new ones. Someone posts something tagged Caracal, you get a new notification.

Okay yeah.
Shalom, kul tuv.

Fiz
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Updated main post with some new additions and crossing out things that have been added.

Varden
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Sorry about the double post but a few things I noticed about the forum.

Show new posts from certain boards? Just clicking new posts gets this massive 12 page long thing. I'd like to see new posts from like 4 sections (General, trades, art, market), not all of them. Is there a way to do this or can it be done.

http://puu.sh/25SZJ
That's the "Threads you made, dummy" page.
http://puu.sh/25T11
That's the "Posts you made, dummy" page. Is there a page like the first one showing the second one. IE threads you've posted in.
I mean this basically:
http://puu.sh/25T7W
Showing the threads you posted in.

This forum isn't exactly FP or SA but it does get a good number of posts relative to time, even in beta now. I'd just like some better ways to wade through all of them.
(Wonders if this is the right thread for forum suggs)

Onnes
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
It seems rather obvious that quite a few submitters are abusing the Now Streaming and Critique Wanted features on the main page purely as advertising, which in turn devalues them as to their intended function. With streams, one obvious fix would be to simply disable the function for anyone caught leaving it active without an actual stream. Streams could also be removed from the front page entirely or require some minimal navigation to view, which would lower their value as pure advertisements. Critique wanted submissions seem a lot murkier because of the difficulty of determining absolutely what is and isn't abuse, and because I'm assuming the site actually wants to increase the visibility of those submissions to encourage critique in the first place.

Tiger
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
It seems rather obvious that quite a few submitters are abusing the Now Streaming and Critique Wanted features on the main page purely as advertising, which in turn devalues them as to their intended function. With streams, one obvious fix would be to simply disable the function for anyone caught leaving it active without an actual stream. Streams could also be removed from the front page entirely or require some minimal navigation to view, which would lower their value as pure advertisements. Critique wanted submissions seem a lot murkier because of the difficulty of determining absolutely what is and isn't abuse, and because I'm assuming the site actually wants to increase the visibility of those submissions to encourage critique in the first place.

I've actually brought up the Crit Wanted feature abuse to the staff before. The abuse of it just bothers me, because the feature has so much potential to really help artists learn from each other. I'd not noticed a problem with the Streaming section, but it's a good thing to bring up.

Onnes
02-20-2013, 10:52 PM
I've actually brought up the Crit Wanted feature abuse to the staff before. The abuse of it just bothers me, because the feature has so much potential to really help artists learn from each other. I'd not noticed a problem with the Streaming section, but it's a good thing to bring up.

I'd recommend good old-fashioned shaming, however experience tells me that the in these cases those who need it are completely immune.

Dark
02-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Really and honestly, I'd much rather groups be their own thing as Social Groups were/are in vBulletin. That way we don't have to worry about group admins losing access if we change the group account password.

rbartrop
02-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Being able to find artists with Search would be nice.

Croc
02-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Perhaps it would be good to see how many people are asking for a particular feature, and/or you could bold the suggestions that are closer to actually happening?

Personally I'm all for the user search, more streamlined handling of submissions/collections, more photos on character pages and collection pieces showing up on the main user page. I like the idea of collecting but it seems like for the person who commissioned it, it's not particularly visible. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of user pages with what looks like no content, but if they are constantly commissioning art, it's all going to be hidden in the collections folder, which only specific users are going to see.

Most of the people I've talked to who don't seem interested in opening an account here think that it's really only for producers of art and not consumers. I don't think that's exactly true but if it is not, then a couple changes would make it much more appealing to people who want to support art but aren't good at making it. It all depends on whether Weasyl's goal is primarily to be a place for art producers or whether it wants to offer a viable alternative to anyone currently using a service like FA.

Fiz
02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Crossed out a few things because the Streaming Status feature just got a nice update.

Perhaps it would be good to see how many people are asking for a particular feature, and/or you could bold the suggestions that are closer to actually happening?

Personally I'm all for the user search, more streamlined handling of submissions/collections, more photos on character pages and collection pieces showing up on the main user page. I like the idea of collecting but it seems like for the person who commissioned it, it's not particularly visible. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of user pages with what looks like no content, but if they are constantly commissioning art, it's all going to be hidden in the collections folder, which only specific users are going to see.

Most of the people I've talked to who don't seem interested in opening an account here think that it's really only for producers of art and not consumers. I don't think that's exactly true but if it is not, then a couple changes would make it much more appealing to people who want to support art but aren't good at making it. It all depends on whether Weasyl's goal is primarily to be a place for art producers or whether it wants to offer a viable alternative to anyone currently using a service like FA.

To be honest I really do not feel like tallying up how many people want a particular feature. As for bolding things, site updates get programmed in pretty fast by our Tech crew so by the time I get a free chance to update the list, the feature might already be fixed or implemented.

And no, it's not true. Weasyl is for artists and art appreciators all alike. That misunderstanding mostly came up because of the previous Collections System Policy, which we have recently changed. If people still feel that Weasyl is only for artists despite that update, we should be told why they feel that way so we can see what we can do in the future to help.

Vey
02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
- Mixcloud embed links for Multimedia submissions, in addition to Souncloud and Bandcamp. Because.. you know.. unlike Soundcloud, uploading DJ mixtapes to Mixcloud is actually legal.

Doki
02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Would there be a way sometime in the future to automatically link links? So instead of being text people could click on it and it would take them there?

DragonTalon
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
How about the ability to order submissions within a folder?

I have a story series I am uploading but it shows the chapters backwards with no way to fix it. Even a few sort by options would be good, like sort by date or filename, ascending and descending.

- - - Updated - - -

Something else that would be useful is a NEXT/PREV feature.

Being able to hot-link submissions in descriptions would be a big help here. Be nice to have little images with titles for users to see and click on.

I can do it manually with [url] tags but it's a lot of work.

Having links to go forward/back within a folder would be great. Then readers could click NEXT and BACK which could be generated automatically. This of course would be tricky with submissions going into multiple folders of course. Nobody said coding was easy. :)

Varden
02-23-2013, 05:55 PM
^That reminds me of a thing. How about the option to mass download someone's gallery or collection, instead of clicking/saving each one. Falvie's gonna be here eventually and she's got ALOT of art. If not that then the option for they themselves to put up a mass downloadable collection option.

Cassander
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
How about the ability to order submissions within a folder?

Could this please be added to the common suggestions list?

Especially for a new site, with people moving their galleries over slowly, but not all at once, this would allow some people to post things here more quickly because we wouldn't have to worry about things being out of order if we submit newer stuff now and later stuff later.

Onnes
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
^That reminds me of a thing. How about the option to mass download someone's gallery or collection, instead of clicking/saving each one. Falvie's gonna be here eventually and she's got ALOT of art. If not that then the option for they themselves to put up a mass downloadable collection option.

Why am I guessing that this kind of bandwidth dump is something they want to make as difficult as possible?

Varden
02-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Well if someone was going to download them all anyway it's bandwidth either way. This is just more convenient bandwidth. And I don't mean one clusterfuck button to DL someone's entire existence, just an option to download everything in a collection, like demicour's tutorial folder.

DragonTalon
02-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Another helpful feature would be to allow a space separated list of tags to be cut-and-pasted for submissions.

All my submissions are very well tagged, but when I come here to upload them I have to type every single tag in by hand. It's a pain if I have two dozen tags, and that is just for one picture. I'd love to be able to just cut and paste the list and have it separated by space as if I typed them all in.

Onnes
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
As an extension to that suggestion, the various metadata standards for images also have fields for keywords. If present, these could be automatically entered into the initial list after the image is selected.

LawyerDog
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
The submissions inbox doesn't show more than two lines of submissions and gives no indication that you need to go into the management page for submissions to see them all. This makes it more inconvenient to view all new submissions by those you're watching, and makes it very easy for people to accidentally use the nuke all to remove notifications they never knew existed. All submission notifications should be able to be displayed on the page where you can nuke them.

I don't really understand the point of the redundant pages in the inbox for submissions in the first place. Why does there need to be a separate page for viewing and managing submissions when viewing and managing notifications is the only reason to look at them?

Onnes
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
It would be nice to have an option on journals to hide them past a given line on one's profile so that lengthier ones didn't occupy an extended portion.

Basttw
03-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Is it possible in the future to add the option of the user choosing to upload without the upload going to front page? I know I have a lot of character art, and while I don't mind it being featured, I don't want to dominate the front page with my stuff just because I have a lot to upload. Just a thought.

gryphon489
03-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Streaming Notifications related:

Streaming function is easier to find (maybe it's own option outside of settings, or a button)
Custom timer option for people who forget to turn off streams
"View more" for Streaming Now in order of earliest starting streams

another suggestion for stream notifications is including the exact time they are posted instead of the date or maybe including the date

Onnes
03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Search syntax needs to be improved. Search engines like Google, which are familiar to everyone, default to logical AND for a series of terms, whereas Weasyl currently does OR. Also one would expect entering "a AND b" or maybe "a + b" to work, while currently only "a +b" seems to. Whatever it is, it should have documentation linked off the search page at least.

Kaif
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
I can only assume this has all ready been suggested, but I can't seem to find it on the first post of this thread. I would definitely like to see a check all button for submissions/collections/etc. Sorry if this has all ready been suggested! I honestly can't fully use this site without that feature, I watch too many artists to click each submission in order to delete it. :C

Fiz
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
I can only assume this has all ready been suggested, but I can't seem to find it on the first post of this thread. I would definitely like to see a check all button for submissions/collections/etc. Sorry if this has all ready been suggested! I honestly can't fully use this site without that feature, I watch too many artists to click each submission in order to delete it. :C

There's an invert selection button for each page on submissions/collections. Just don't hit a checkbox for anything and press that button and everything will be selected.

CHICAGO_lollie
04-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Character related:

I'd like to see multiple pages for regular submissions as well. It'd be useful for submissions like complete multi-page comics/literature, or sketchdumps & tutorials.

In the case of multi-page comics that are being posted as they're completed/on an update schedule: Perhaps some way to group submissions together with manageable next/previous buttons for easier navigation? Or a way to notify followers of new additions to multi-page submissions?

I have a couple suggestions for improving submission presentation. I've posted these on the forums before, but I might as well get them into this thread:

1) Music submissions featuring albums on Bandcamp could really use a larger player, with more emphasis on album art. The current "Venti" player is suitable for single tracks, but does not offer any way to view the track-list for albums on-site, and the album art is very small. [This thread goes into more detail with visual examples.] (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1350-Music-Submission-Suggestion-Larger-player-for-albums-display-cover-art-beside-it)

2) Video submissions: Currently, videos hosted on YouTube display at 640×360, while videos hosted on Vimeo display at a smaller 400×300. It'd make sense to display Vimeo uploads at the same size as YouTube uploads, it's curious that this has happened at all. [Visual examples] (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1253-Vimeo-submissions-are-far-smaller-than-YouTube-submissions)

uaykan
04-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I have a silly question! and a frivolous cosmetic suggestion, but what the hey.

I'm sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but why is the user-gallery account not connected to the user-forum one? This feels a little like FA did in '05 when the forum and gallery were separate entities to sign into until Jheryn&Co thought to merge the two.

On frivolous cosmetics, when permalinking a comment under a submission/journal would it be possible to include subject lines on the comments? Kinda like I'm using twice here (http://www.furaffinity.net/full/288807/#cid:1438329). These messages used to playfully indicate comment nature when they appeared in your message center, like a way for someone to ask "Commission?" w/o having to hop to the artist's front page to click the message-link there.

On that note, a Send Note beneath submissions would also be convenient.

Taw
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but why is the user-gallery account not connected to the user-forum one? This feels a little like FA did in '05 when the forum and gallery were separate entities to sign into until Jheryn&Co thought to merge the two.

Regarding the stuff mentioning the forums:

The main site was still being heavily worked on when we brought these forums online and such. There were a few issues regarding merging the two together, and I've spoken about them before, but a summary of why we have separate forum and main site accounts as it stands currently are:

1. The forum uses mysql and the mainsite uses postgres (I believe). Not sure how well these work together, but at the time we brought the forums up and such, we did not have the manpower to even consider merging them to link to one account. (There are ways to bridge logins and such but we did not think it would be a high priority at all)

2. It's a tad more secure. That is, if your main site and forum account use separate passwords, and your email isn't compromised. If one then gets hacked, the other should be fine. That's about it in terms of security as far as I know though.

3. We didn't and still don't have the resources to merge them into one account, and doing that currently would most likely be impossible unless we started the forums fresh due to having 3,950 members registered, that may or may not be using the same name as their main site account, or even email.

In the future we may look at the forums and decide on a course of action to take, but currently this is the way it stands as the forum updates are a lower priority than the main site.

Mingchee
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I hope I am addressing this in the right thread, if not then i apologize for the inconvenience.

I have a concern about the public tagging system. Sorry for repeating anything that has already been discussed, but I'd like to know if there are any plans on allowing tagging privacy. I am concerned about the potential abuse from public tagging where the original uploader is in no control of how the image is tagged.

For example, I draw a lot of small breasted women. I don't like the idea that anyone could tag them as minors. Not only is it insulting but it is a violation of the community guideline and something I find morally disturbing.

Is it possible to disallowed users from adding tags to your submission? If not, will this be implemented in the near future?

HtotheJ
04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I would like greater control over submissions. I am not sure if anyone else would find these helpful, but I believe they will be.

-There is already an option to make a submission viewable only to friends. How about adding extra check-boxes or options to make a submission only viewable to people who watch you as well. Preferably make it submission based rather than an account setting.

-Perhaps also an option to hide your submission from the front page, but still able to search for it with the right tags if that is possible.

Trianine
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Fiz, are the suggestions that are crossed out implemented/being-implemented, or being denied?

Also, I see that some changes to the file system are happening. Woohoo! I came here because I haven't seen anything about updates in a while, and I'm curious what you've added. :)

Fiz
04-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Fiz, are the suggestions that are crossed out implemented/being-implemented, or being denied?

Also, I see that some changes to the file system are happening. Woohoo! I came here because I haven't seen anything about updates in a while, and I'm curious what you've added. :)

They are things that were previously suggested but have now been implemented.

There's been a few small updates regarding files. Submission filenames now include usernames, and .mp3 detection was fixed.

NamelessTraveler
04-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but I think that it would be a good thing if users could delete comments that others make on your work or profile page (I'm sorry if I've missed the feature if its already on the site, but I looked everywhere!)

That, and I'd like to see a way to block other users from adding tags to your work, or at least have it so that it has to be approved before it goes through. One of the artists that I watch had to make their whole gallery friends only to keep people from messing with her work and adding offensive tags, and its got me kind of paranoid about it...

Zalcoti
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Okay this may be suggested already but I have stuff to add.

It needs to be revamped. Users should be able to browse submissions requesting critique. It's annoying to refresh the page to find new submissions wanting it. Also, there should be a rule where only one submission at a time from a user is allowed up for critique. Only one please. It can be removed from the critique section once it gains valuable critique(s) so another image can be posted for critique. I've seen too many people post entire galleries up for critique yet nobody is even critiquing these things. I try to but got blocked once for doing so! Only one up at a time would reduce flooding and might encourage people to comment. The lack of comments on this website is also alarming. And maybe there can be a notification somewhere on the submission showing other users critiques are welcomed. There's already a box to flag it for critique so why not make some more use out of this option.

So there. I hope to see some changes with this section, even if my suggestions aren't used, I'd at least like to see it become more user-friendly.

foxboyprower
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
The ability to hide folders (this especially includes folders for favorites if they are made) from guests, site members, or even from friends.
I've got a lot of stuff in my favorites I don't want everyone to see. I'd love to see something that lets people hide their folders (and all the stuff inside obviously) from certain groups of users (guests, members, friends, and everyone else). While it is possible to figure out that some person recently added stuff to their favorites, it would take some time consuming detective work to figure it out leaving them with some privacy.

Infinite
05-20-2013, 12:28 AM
The ability to remove undesirable comments, with out a cluttering place holder, would be nice. I have yet to find this feature if it is already included.

iRenia
05-23-2013, 04:42 PM
I agree to this.

Kasune
05-27-2013, 07:43 AM
- Ability to delete profile comments/shouts.
- Ability to delete submission comments.
- Ability to disable comments on journals, page shouts, and/or submissions.

That's all I really have to suggest.

Fiz
05-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Updated list

Though do note if you are having problems with harassing comments, report them to us and we'll take care of the issue.

Kasune
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Updated list

Though do note if you are having problems with harassing comments, report them to us and we'll take care of the issue.

Noted! I've not had an issue with harassing comments, there are just times I want to disable comments altogether. Bluh.
Thank you so much for adding them to the list, though.

Fiz
05-30-2013, 05:11 AM
Noted! I've not had an issue with harassing comments, there are just times I want to disable comments altogether. Bluh.
Thank you so much for adding them to the list, though.

Understood! And no problem, having comment moderation functions is a very common suggestion and I've just flat out forgotten to add it to the list.

zee
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Just a few things! Apologies if these have been suggested before.

•This is more of an aesthetic thing, but I think that the "Not your work? Click here to learn about Collections!" button could do with a redesign. Like, it could stand to be half its size and more in line with the look/feel of the rest of the site.

•The contact and social media section when you're editing your profile is pretty massive, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually *see* this information on a user's page. Am I just missing it? If the ID section is added to user pages, maybe the links could go there?

•It'd be nice to be able to choose whether or not you get an "Are you sure?" pop up every time you clear your inbox. Or even if it functioned a little more like DA where each individual item could be deleted without having to tick a box and scroll to the bottom of the page.

•I'm not certain how easy this would be to actually implement (or if it even belongs in this thread), but maybe the character system could be expanded to a sort of 'hub' where the user could have a pool/stream of submissions featuring that character on the character's page. Maybe something like this (http://puu.sh/35nTA/92da724f89.png)?

Whenever the owner of that character makes a new submission or adds an item to their collection, they could have the option of tagging the character and thus automatically adding it to the pool/stream/I have no idea what it's called on the character's page.

I'm sorry if this isn't clear, I just think it'd be nice to link up the character system with the main submission/collection system.

•Browsing feels really clunky! Again, this might be an aesthetic thing, but the sections could stand to be in a vertical column format so that each section is immediately visible rather than having to scroll to get to different sections.
+The hover-over is stylish and neat, but I feel like the information it gives you should be visible by default.
+You should be able to go directly to a user's page by clicking on their username on/beneath the thumbnail instead of having to go through the submission.
+It'd be nice if the "Submissions" section could lead to Visual/Literary/Multimedia subsections for easier browsing!

Katida
06-01-2013, 01:52 PM
It seems I can't edit my profile on here for some reason, so no picture xD

But anyway! I'd like to be able to update/change my "character" pictures, like we can with the submissions.
People constantly change up there characters at least a little, and I'd hate to delete and re-post a character with every update.

current character management options:
Edit Character Thumbnail
Edit Character Details
Remove Character from Gallery

needs a "update character file" :)

CHICAGO_lollie
06-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Quick note about music submissions: Bandcamp recently updated their music players (http://blog.bandcamp.com/2013/06/12/all-new-players-up-twitter-too/), and the old players (while they still function for now) are now presumably unsupported.

For reference, the old Bandcamp player (currently used by Weasyl):
http://i.imgur.com/9yuseJM.png

And the new Bandcamp player, Large with Standard layout + tracklist:
http://i.imgur.com/jbja78W.png

DakotaMalamute
06-18-2013, 08:00 PM
A highly useful feature common on many other sites is displaying metadata for photos.

As someone who usually uploads photography, this feature is preferable over manually typing it all into the submission description. Some other sites like DeviantArt and Furaffinity support this feature, either by enabling it when the submission is classified as photography or when the proper metadata is detected to indicate a photo.

Fiz
06-18-2013, 09:28 PM
A highly useful feature common on many other sites is displaying metadata for photos.

As someone who usually uploads photography, this feature is preferable over manually typing it all into the submission description. Some other sites like DeviantArt and Furaffinity support this feature, either by enabling it when the submission is classified as photography or when the proper metadata is detected to indicate a photo.

This is something that would be nice but would be difficult to implement on our current set up. It'll likely come up later, though.

Anywho, updated the thread by crossing off a handful of things that have been implemented/fixed! Biggest mention is that updating character files has been added finally!

Caswyn
06-20-2013, 03:23 AM
I have a few suggestions to get a little improve to the site ^^

- Collection request : Requesting in a submission to have it in the collection. This is specially useful when the user blocked notes. Along with this, maybe add an option to block requests too to prevent abuse, but for an artist that is working on commissions would be a good spread.

- Hide comment's responses by default, show with button : Hiding the responses to comments on a submission would be 2 kills on single shot. First it will hide the long list of responses that ends like being chat, something that is not interesting for most of the viewers but who are responding. It will too encourage focusing on really commenting the submission, not just the comments of other users.

- Label commission notes (or make another category for them) : Just like requests, but for commissions. Maybe not that necessary but useful to separate by the subject of the note.

- Favicon : Not like it's too important, but I would be nice if the site have a favicon (Favicon on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon) for those who doesn't know what it is). It would make the site fancier and more atractive for people.
It could be done along with what this sites says modern.IE (http://www.modern.ie) (The Windows 8 tile) and it would catch all the views on any PC. Just to get the site in the front of the new upcoming software.

It is worthwhile to say that this is a great site with a lot of potential, even now it is very nice me (it is on beta yet). I applaud everyone is working on this. I would love to help, donating maybe, but I don't get how it Works hehe I will try anyway.

Fiz
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Updated the Original Post quite a bit! Made a separate section for things that were suggested and implemented, and also crossed off a few things that we will for sure not implement. Hopefully this reads better than the way it was originally.

foxboyprower
08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I see there is already a suggestion for folders of favorites. That's something for which I've really been hoping.
But I would like to suggest a feature that applies to all folders (assuming favorites someday will get folders). I would like the ability for all folders to be hidden.
Perhaps you have some submissions that you only want friends to see. Select sharing options for that folder and choose to allow friends only to display the content of that folder. Note that friends can still add these submissions to their favorites, but anyone else that gets the URL to one of the hidden submissions in this hidden folder will be blocked from viewing the submission.
For favorites, this would be very helpful in its own way. Some user might have favorites they would not want everyone to see. They could editing the sharing options for a specific favorites folder and enable only friends to see it, or only himself to see the contents of the folder.
Note: In this case, the Favorited submission obviously wouldn't be hidden from everyone if viewed through the artist's gallery. The artist could still see that the user had added their submission to favorites. So while it would be possible to learn the favorites of a user, it would just add a bit of privacy like a locked door to certain favorites.

Fluffpie
09-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Not to sound mean, but I'm fairly new to Weasyl and I am not too crazy about the layout. Like, all the things you can do is pretty awesome!
But in the looks department it's a little lacking... Sort of like Deviantart, it looks messy. Though I love how people who aren't watching you can see your journal!
I'm sorry this isn't a helpful comment. I just do not find it appealing how the things are laid out. Unless you can change that then I'm sorry, this may be useless!

Vycer
09-15-2013, 01:33 AM
What about uploading adult art and tagging it as adult, even if the artist isn't over 18. I know other sites who have this feature, so artists can upload any of their art, without having to be restricted by age. It's their own art, they made it. They don't want to show it, when they're finally 18. lol

Arcoon
11-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I've got a suggestion, and this seemed like the best place to put it.

How about stickied journals, with formatting specifically for Q&A and commission queuing?

For example, responses to the journal would have pre-made labels to choose from that are required to use for the specific journal, like "Question" for a question to be answered, or "Request" for a query for a commission slot. Then as the question is answered it would change labels to "Answered" and the answer to the question would be labeled as "Answer" if the poster accepts the answer, or the request can be labeled "Accepted"/"Rejected", "Paid" and labeled with a queue number, then "Completed" and the thread of posts can be collapsed to make room for other posts.

To avoid scamming, the "Paid" and "Completed" labels could be set to only be placed when accepted by the original poster and changes to a post's status can be recorded and timestamped, and there may be other things I'm missing here that need to be addressed or added, but the idea here is to give artists and non-artists an in-site tool to organize discussion or commission queues - something that'd be a unique draw for people to the site to differentiate it from all the others out there.

EDIT: The journal's poster should have the option to show the current Requested, Accepted and Paid chronologically and/or those queued in a shorthand list of icons + account names in the original post.

Someone also brought up the issue of private or embarrassing commissions. People should have the option to post to a commission journal privately, with private posts only showing to the journal owner and the poster. Private posts would still show in the relevant shorthand lists, but obscured appropriately.

For people commissioners without Weasyl accounts, the journal owner should be able to post in their own journal and give the post a name manually, or link to an account on another site (such as DA or FA) and add that post to the queue that way.

Arcoon
12-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Another idea - make an extension, script or app that lets you cross post submissions (and possibly journals, too) from Weasyl to FA. That would go a long way toward making Weasyl it a more convenient transition to Weasyl from FA, which really only has the benefit of numbers/being established.

SpikedKanine
12-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Um! I have a suggestion that I put up a few weeks ago and no higher-ups ever responded to it....

http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?3034-Commissions-Open-Closed-Notifer

Can you guys please tell me wither or not this is plausible and possibly put it on the list...?? [:

Seigi
12-10-2013, 03:06 AM
I have no idea if anyone's still reading up on this or not, but I have a few suggestions from what I've experienced.

The search engine for starters. To me, it seems a bit too complicated when I've gone to use it, and half the time it I always get the same search results for anything I've put in. Maybe that's just me messing up with something, but as a user it seems like it should be simplified so it's a bit easier to use. I mean, the six different sections to search for what you want seems like it can be boiled down to just Search terms, Category and the rating options. Everything else just seems a bit unnecessary.

One other thing I've noticed is the separate Notification and Journal options. When I've clicked on them they both lead to the exact same screen. If that's the case, I don't understand why there's two different buttons that do the same thing. Wouldn't it be easier to just have a Notifications option?

I don't know if anyone else has thought this way, but it's just something I've noticed during my time here.

Fiz
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Um! I have a suggestion that I put up a few weeks ago and no higher-ups ever responded to it....

http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?3034-Commissions-Open-Closed-Notifer

Can you guys please tell me wither or not this is plausible and possibly put it on the list...?? [:

Sorry for the late reply.

I like the idea myself and adding it IS plausible to code in. No promises of course. I'll put it up on the list.

Thornwolf
12-13-2013, 02:12 AM
I keep thinking of things as I'm using the site but here's the ones I've remembered just now.

Message Center Related
- Friend request approval - currently when you hit "accept" or "ignore" instead of it just being a toggle button, clicking "accept" takes you to the page and it's super time consuming if you have multiple friend requests to go through. I know who they are, they're my friend, I don't need to go to their profile page after hitting "accept".
- Friend request approval - have the option to select multiple and "approve selected" or "ignore selected"
- Have a "select all" for the different sub-sections, for example "select all/nuke all watches" "select all/nuke all shouts".

Velantian
12-13-2013, 09:37 PM
I like being able to browse journal entries, that is a nice feature. It would be nicer if the title of the journal was visible alone with the user icon.

Pandactyl
12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
I dunno if this has been suggested but I don't see it off hand so I am saying it anyway shhh

Is there a planned ads option in the future? IE how users can purchase banner ad space by month and have their ads appear instead of randomgooglewat (which I don't even see that being used! so yay). I already purchase ad space on -that place hurr- but I am more than interested in giving my money to someplace... better.

Fylwind
12-16-2013, 01:16 AM
A bit of a UX suggestion, but I think it's more intuitive if the "Edit X" buttons are located closer / adjacent to the area that you're trying to edit, similar to how they appear on Twitter / Facebook.

skylerbunny
12-16-2013, 03:26 AM
So, this has gotta be the most boring 'feature request' ever. :)

But, knowing what we know now, I think we can learn something very important from what FurAffinity is going through this week, and I suggest the following database trim feature, if it is not already being performed nightly or weekly:

Any stream notification should expire after...let's say 18-24 hours. Some rational number.
Any submission notification should expire after 90-180 days.
Comments notifications, perhaps, 1 year.
Etcetera.

Whatever the numbers are - it probably doesn't really matter exactly what they are and the dev team can surely figure out a best number for it...some reasonable numbers that prevents this from ever becoming a problem as Weasyl grows. I think it safe to say we don't ever want this to happen!

skippyfox
12-16-2013, 05:02 AM

I just wanted to bump this suggestion - I would have made it myself if I did not see someone else having put it out there, and it looks like it has never been added to the "common suggestion" list (op). I think this feature would be extremely useful for submissions featuring the work of multiple artists.

Thanks!

skippyfox
12-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Right now the folder navigation in general is kind of a pain.

I see that the requested feature was added to show all submissions in the root folder even if they're in a main folder. This is cluttering up my submissions page. I wonder how many galleries this feature is doing more good than harm in.

Hopefully this feature will be removed when the change to allow a single submission in multiple folders is put in place, as that ought to give each individual user the option to show or hide things in their root folder as they see fit.

Also, when browsing folders, the list to the left isn't all that intuitive. Usually when dealing with folders you see folder icons and an icon (or a nearby link) to move "up" a level. Instead we have the list of folders to the left and no way to move "up" unless you remember which folder/subfolder you were in. If you want to move up to the root you have to find the user's "Submissions" button again or use your browser's "back" button. It's not difficult to browse this way but I think a more traditional folder navigation would be more convenient and intuitive.

CMAugust
12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
The list in the first post says this has been implemented:

Filename system change for download (so it shows username and submission name/original file name)
But so far this is only half-true, with just the username added so far. It really bothers me that modern art repositories like tumblr and Weasyl dispense with the artist's original intended filename in favor of unhelpful gibberish like "285013.submit.3151.png" or "tumblr_mxpbx7xqCP1sjbg82o1_1280.jpg"
Compared to the precedents of VCL, FurAffinity or Inkbunny it's a real disappointment; and being inclined to save any enjoyable submissions to HDD, I'd much rather follow my favorite artists on those sites to keep the filenames intact. I really hope Weasyl will rectify this before the end of Beta.

One feature I really enjoy from Inkbunny is how you can effortlessly toggle whether you want to see custom thumbnails while browsing or not. Personally I like to view the whole image in the thumbnail so I leave it off. I haven't found any such option for Weasyl.

Well that's all, thanks for reading.

jonas
12-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Yo. Throwing in a bunch of suggestions. Apologies if any of these are redundant. I know it's fairly easy to just throw in ideas and not do any of the legwork, but rest assured that if I had any coding skills beyond rudimentary Javascript, I'd happily offer to join your team. Any of these could also potentially be paid options, which would make sense for artists/commissioners who want to do a higher volume of business vs. those who just want to casually browse the site.

Anyway, here's my little WEASYL WISHLIST.

For artists:

In addition to the flag showing an artist is open for commissions, a table (maybe formatted like f-list) that clearly defines what said artist is and is not willing to draw (and maybe also what the artist likes drawing the most?).

A commission engine that facilitates the process of accepting and completing commissions, allowing the artist to send WIPs out and optionally politely reminding them via notifications that they need to work on something.

A grid (visible only to logged-in visitors) that shows what commissions are being worked on and how much progress has been made, and a control panel for updating and editing the grid entries.

Expansion of the 'streaming now/later' toggle, with options to set single-event or recurrent stream times with fixed start/end points. (If you're worried about artists abusing this, just limit the maximum number of scheduled entries.)

For viewers:

A way to search for artists that are willing to draw [x] in particular.

When you watch an artist, an optional checkbox: "Notify me when this artist opens up for commissions."

A flag that shows you're seeking to commission an artist to draw a character (maybe something to add to character profile uploads?), perhaps even with (brief) details on what the commission is of.

Notifications that a commission an artist is working on for you has been updated. Maybe triggered when an artist uploads a WIP of it, or something like that.

For everyone:

An toggle for slightly bigger thumbnails, like maybe 150x150.

The ability to designate a specific submission to always be the thumbnail for the folder which contains it.

A "classifieds" section that aggregates artists currently seeking commissioners, commissioners currently seeking artists, Your Character Here auctions, trade offers, etc, into a single searchable page (or several pages) of encapsulated listings.

A "TV guide" style section that aggregates scheduled streaming listings into a weekly/daily/hourly type grid.

That's all I can think of for now. Mostly, just Don't Suck. Use common sense (unlike a certain other gallery) and make sure your stuff is backed up, the code is scalable to larger userbases, etc etc.

Aerys
12-18-2013, 10:06 PM
It is clear that the largest hurdle facing the website is the network effect achieved to the website's competitors userbase. The best way to overcome this is to foster greater community within Weasyl's existing userbase. Yes, Jonas' call to post art regardless of the quantity of feedback still rings true, but it is still worthwhile to design the site to increase the ease of and rewards to connecting with other members of the community.

Here are a few suggestions in that vein.

1) A "like" button for comments to enable positive feedback without effort. Sometimes it's too much work to sit and think of something nice to say, or saying "thanks" just seems kind of lame. This is a way to tell someone you're happy for the support! If you're worried about people getting too caught up in accumulating likes on their posts you could just put a little star next to a post if someone has liked it, not revealing the total number publicly.

2) A "send note" option next to the username by any comment or post. Clicking on the little chat icon will pop up a text field you can use to immediately send a private message. This can give an element of live communication without actually implementing a real time Facebook-style chat.

3) Redesign the layout for the submission inbox. On competitor sites, the submission inbox displays right under the work the name of the user who submitted it. On Weasyl, the name of the piece and username only appear on mouse over. While it looks sleek and snazzy, the art inbox looks like a collection of anonymous icons. I'd rather that it were more personal! On other sites, I don't view works just because I like the icon, I open them because my friends have submitted them or because they're works by one of my favorite artists. On Weasyl I have to guess who posted something by staring at the icon to figure out whose style it is or hovering my mouse over.

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Faultbat
12-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Pardon me if it's come up already, but the one real killer feature that's missing for me right now is to reverse the order of submission inbox. I want to have the oldest first and new submissions tack on to the end rather than the newest first. Makes it easier to stay caught up or to be able to only look at some of the submissions at once without the oldest ones sitting at the back of the queue forever.

That and the download filenames are... bad. But I've seen that's been brought up and... half-implemented right now?

Otherwise, things are pretty slick from how I use it.

Summercat
12-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Since Skylerbunny asked me nicely to post here, I guess I will.

Two things I've noticed that Weasyl lacks that FA has (that I use on a daily basis):

1) SFW toggle. Without touching any other settings, Furaffinity has a 'SFW' toggle that acts as if your filter was set to General only. It's a very simple (for the user) tool to use for browsing the site while in a work environment. As things stand, I can't really linger on the front page.

2) Search features here seem rudimentary. Either they're not well documented (I have not done an exhaustive search), or the features simply aren't there. On FA, you can search for 'all the words', 'any of the words', or 'extended' (more on that in a bit). You can limit it to a specific category, a specific rating, as well as limit how far back the search will return. You can also sort it by date, 'relevancy', or 'popularity' in ascending or descending order.

Extended search involves the use of search synatx. A common search I use on FA is "trans | transform | transforming | transformation | shift | shifting | morph | morphing | morphs". This search string will return all submissions that have any of those words in it. In addition, you can add additional search terms to limit it, such as 'otter' and 'husky', without the | symbol, to just get TF pictures that involve otters or huskies. You can also include other multi-term searches. "trans | transform | transforming | transformation hypnosis | hypno | mindcontrol" would only get me transformation pictures that involve hypnosis/mind control.

Testing on the Weasyl search platform with this synatx has yielded... confused results, as does using multiple search terms. I've had 'transformation otter' show up transformation stories with no 'otter' in keywords, submission info, or the submission itself.

It is possible that Weasyl's search engine might be able to duplicate this, but I would need to know what engine it's using, then to look up the documentation and do some testing.

iggi
12-20-2013, 02:04 AM
I haven't yet seen this suggestion exactly. I noticed things like it, but not quite.

I think perhaps it would be useful, that when you are submiting a normal submission if you could use a dropdown extra menu to add this image to a character that exists in your list.( Similar to the suggestion to have multiple pages to a character). So images would still show in your normal gallery, but if viewers went to your character gallery and selected a character, they could see another gallery under it as "more of this character". (leaving it blank would not add it to any character.) This could also show art of that character that is in your collections and pool it all into one place. It would especially be useful for commissions if I could see multiple character images to use for refs by having this, as well the primary image the user has for the ref sheet. And would be fun for watchers who particularily admired a character and wanted to see more of them too. Adding additional usefulness could occur by letting it show up in the main gallery under a character sub-folder if you submitted it, one sub folder per character with additional art pages.

This would meet both desires fpr multiple pages of a character submission request from others, and for the desires for characters to show up in the main gallery.

Thanks for this wonderful site, i love it so much so far. It is clean, easy to use, and has everything i need. I hope to be here for a nice long time. Admin, please keep up the great work on this site!

Samael
12-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Okay, I have a few suggestions that basically bug the heck out of me and have done since I first arrived at Weasyl. Was kind of hoping some of these would have been changed by this point so I'll suggest them again:

1) embedded gifs, flash and full view: My boyfriend has uploaded animated gifs in the past and their was no indication they were animated due to the fact it only showed a still and not even a click through. Not being able to watch animations on the submission page with the comments and all is also sort of weird.

2) better stream information: to start with, being able to limit the streaming update to just my own followers. I just don't think the general community would be super-into half the things I draw so I'd personally prefer to stay off the front page. further more, better controls of the Streaming information - the ability to add a start and end time instead of Stream length. For example, if I set it to "I will Start Streaming later" and then set a time of 8pm GMT to 4am GMT, it'd automatically kick into gear when I begin streaming without my intervention and remove itself at the time it ended at. This would be useful as an alternative method if not a replacement method (after all, some people just want to do it whenever). I'd also suggest adding a feature that uploads a user-decided streaming banner to indicate their stream in submissions that is removed automatically at the end of the Stream. Could keep down the streaming journals/images that people might upload to further attract attention to their streams.

3) selective submission 'select all': for some reason, there's a Remove All on the main submission page but it lacks a Select All/Remove All, etc. on individual submission categories.

4) character folders: would really help with to provide multiple character reference images together or else it'd just be more convenient to just use the main submissions gallery to create character specific folders.

5) Commission information: still kind of a mess. Would be kind of useful having my commission prices on the actual page when I'm editing instead of leaving it floating in the void with just "rename to" and empty places.

6) British Time: oh my god ever other site on the internet lists it as United Kingdom. Outliers use Great Britain. Just using "Britain" on it's own as kind of weird. The system for time zones also doesn't really let me press a key to quickly jump to a letter which is how I get this stuff set normally. Say I wanted to quickly jump to the Us to look for United Kingdom - can't do that. Instead I had to crawl through the list and hope I could find the applicable time. Minor thing but, y'know, its something that could be fixed.

Ongaku
12-22-2013, 01:17 AM
The great FA exodus of 2013 has started... and yet there's no bulk or mass upload feature here.

I know of the concerns of the front page, yadda, yadda yadda, but it seems multiple solutions have already been suggested.

Speaking from an artists standpoint AND an RPer standpoint. I dont have all day to upload my photos of my characters or work.

THAT is the only thing holding me back from fully joining Weasyl...

Please implement this soon, you'd see a drastic rise in numbers of users, as all of the FA users are done and over with the drama at FA.

Also, let me know when this happens so I can ditch the flaming boat already...

:thumbsup:

Samael
12-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd perhaps suggest doing what FA Filter does, an add on someone graciously made - let submissions from an artist (in terms of images and journals) stack, and apply this to the front page in the event of Mass Uploads.

Thornwolf
12-24-2013, 01:43 PM
In the section where I go to upload a new piece of artwork, I would love love love an option where it asks which folder I want to put it in, the ability to create a new folder. So many times I upload something and think "well, this could be better categorized" but I'm already part way done with the upload process and I don't wanna back out and go to my settings and make a new folder :P

Also in general it takes me way too many clicks to manage and view my watched submissions/journals etc. If I have to drill down to 2 or more layers I'm not going to want to do it, and I only really just started using the site 3 weeks ago and already I'm getting a backlog because it's frustrating to have to go to multiple pages to manage submissions to view then delete stuff.

Thank you!

giza
12-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I too would like to see bulk uploads. I have 86 pictures which I took at MidWest FurFest. Uploading them separately is not feasible for me, as I don't have that many hours in the day. :-)

Fiz
01-06-2014, 03:48 AM
Moved some stuff into the implemented list. Should be more added to that soon, hopefully.

Eskiworks
01-16-2014, 09:37 PM
I would like to suggest (if it hasn't been suggested already) a more integrated stream notification system. Seeing a short description of what is being streamed next to the notification would be helpful, especially if the person is working on NSFW material. It might also be nice to have a small banner in the stream notifications section that the artist make, making it easier to browse streams as they appear in your messages. Plus from the broadcaster's perspective, it's nice to be able to personalize that a bit, and it tends to bring more viewers in as well.

I would also like to echo some people's sentiments about thumbnails, if only to let it be known there's more support for a change in that arena. It's a LOT easier to tell if I want to look at an image if I can see a more full preview of the piece.

Thanks so much!

Aden
01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Re: thumbnails, don't worry guys, we're not ignoring you! Changing these over to full previews (yes, non-square) is a component of another effort that we'll hopefully get out to you in the near future. Really sorry about the lack of feedback from our end regarding this

Fox
01-17-2014, 01:08 AM
"Suggestions That Have Been Implemented!
-Streamlined submission inbox (not having to go to a new page to manage your submission messages)"

How has the inbox been streamlined? When I click on the paintbrush I still have to go into a sub-folder to delete individual images. I wouldn't call that 'streamlined'. You should be able select and delete every individual image you see upon entering your inbox without going into sub-folders. Honestly the biggest thing preventing me from wanting to support and use this site is this, the current state of the submission inbox. That and non-full-image thumbnails but I'm glad to see that is being considered.

-foxjump

Fiz
01-17-2014, 02:31 AM
"Suggestions That Have Been Implemented!
-Streamlined submission inbox (not having to go to a new page to manage your submission messages)"

How has the inbox been streamlined? When I click on the paintbrush I still have to go into a sub-folder to delete individual images. I wouldn't call that 'streamlined'. You should be able select and delete every individual image you see upon entering your inbox without going into sub-folders. Honestly the biggest thing preventing me from wanting to support and use this site is this, the current state of the submission inbox. That and non-full-image thumbnails but I'm glad to see that is being considered.

-foxjump

iirc it was even clunkier at one point, I can't remember exactly since it's been a while since I changed the status of that. Making the submissions inbox streamlined further is definitely on the consideration list (we know it's not fantastic)

Eskiworks
01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Thank you Aden, that's great to hear! =)

autogatos
01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Really happy to hear about the thumbs changing! I much prefer non-cropped thumbs.

PolygonBird
01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Not sure if I should be leaving feedback here but.

There is one huge feature that would be a deal breaker for me to ditch websites like fur affinity etc.
What I would love to see is profiles within one account's Much like Tumblr's multiple blog support. On FA I have two profiles. one for my main clean cleaner artwork the other for more mature artwork. I know this website has maturity options, but this is purely for a type of art that isn't really everyone's cup of tea.. So I have that separate account for those who want to see it.
I know that a huge number of people would want such a feature and I truly suggest you take this into consideration. ^^

WhiteMantis
01-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but I'd like to suggest a way of quoting the comment we're replying to when we click on the "reply" buttom and the site directs us to the reply section.

Sometimes it's hard to formulate a reply without seeing what we're replying to. In case of big comments, we end up needing to keep scrolling up and down to read and write.

Plus, I would like to ask to make some sort of tags required, like, if it is a moderate & up image, make it necessary to specify why it is that. Like, if it's for violence, nudity, sex or ideologically sensitive (religion etc) image. And in case of sex, make it obligatory to state the orientation of the image, like if it is a solo male, or a solo female, or a male/female or female/female or male/male image. I really like to avoid certain kinds of adult images and it's been really difficult to do so by the blacklist because people don't tag their images correctly. :S

Thank you very much for listening!

ManaPuddingFox
01-19-2014, 11:25 PM
I actually came to the forum to suggest commission list order - would love if we could rearrange the commission item AND price item within the item. I hope this becomes a function. ^ ^

WhiteMantis
01-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Another suggestion!

Add an option to nuke only a certain type of message. Like: nuke only new favorites or new journals.

Right now it's a bit troublesome to keep an inbox clean with only what you want to keep!

Xial
01-20-2014, 01:25 AM
I gave it a year to soak in.
I let myself cool down over the annoyance incurred by trying to register for the forums.

My main gripe is:
Literature still takes a back seat to visual works.
The only way to plausibly get things filtered down to literature is to drop back to the front page and click Literature there. Clicking browse only gives me filters for submissions, characters, and journals.

Google Docs isn't an acceptable option for me: I often read on the go.
This is the reading experience on Android (http://i.imgur.com/1BhJfy9.png).
PDF is kind of an iffy proposition. It works... sort of.

This is why I've asked for ePub support since November 2012 (https://www.weasyl.com/journal/3447/first-impression).

Right now, my observations tell me this:
I get the best on-page reading experience from Inkbunny, with SoFurry on an extremely close second: The paging system that Inkbunny employs makes reading a pleasure there, though I would prefer a darker background with light text. SoFurry gives me that as an option, but lacks the paging system that Inkbunny has.

SoFurry has best in breed literature support, but they are playing the Unfair Advantage card by being what came out of the ashes of YiffStar. Being able to download an ePub of nearly any story uploaded (unless the author chooses to, for some reason, disable the feature) gives me something I can take with me on the road, since I spend a lot of hours on networks I would prefer to not connect to furry content on.

FurAffinity doesn't really compete in this realm -- what little literature support they have is a joke, but it's all in-house.

And then there's Weasyl.
The on-page PDF support is interesting -- looks like HTML5 Canvas-rendered. Neat, but black text, white background. Ouch, my eyes.
The plain text is, well, plain text. If the recent Markdown support carries over to text stories, then that's not so bad, but it'd make a plain text document download a little hairy to read, if an author goes overboard with Markdown.

I just want to see more love for authors, I guess. Authors are artists, too.
They wield a keyboard like a visual artist wields a stylus, a brush, or a pencil: Both are capable of rendering downy furred bodies rolling down verdant hills, or skies filled with neon whilst buildings stand electric, almost seeming to glow against the brilliant celestial background kissing the edge of the earth, or even capturing the terrible void of chronospace, with its nigh invisible caerulean ribbons coiled around an unprotected body, set adrift by pirates...

Authors seem to get the shorter end of things. You have a chance to change this.

Condensed Synopsis for the Time Challenged:
ePub support; No Google Docs reliance; Eye friendly PDF reading colours, PLEASE.

SINA
01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm sure it's in here somewhere and I may have missed it all together. I would love to be able to "select all" under each stack in the messages portion of the site. As in a "select all" for journals and "select all" for comments. So you could easily delete a section of your message center in place of the global select all.

AlexGoneLoco
01-20-2014, 09:35 AM
I really think there needs to be space on the user page for a featured submission, as I always like having my best work up top as sort of a wow factor. Of course the banner sort of takes care of that, but I really think a featured submission option would be nice.

Also, I'd prefer if favorites were on the userpage right up front, but I don't see this on the list so this may just be my personal preference.

Fiz
01-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I really think there needs to be space on the user page for a featured submission, as I always like having my best work up top as sort of a wow factor. Of course the banner sort of takes care of that, but I really think a featured submission option would be nice.

Also, I'd prefer if favorites were on the userpage right up front, but I don't see this on the list so this may just be my personal preference.

This is already possible. Just copying and pasting since this is the third time I've helped with this today haha:

"Go to Settings and under Preferences there's a link for Folder Options. Go there, and here you can make a folder and then hit edit folder options, where the first option will allow you to make whatever submissions that are in that folder your Featured submission(s)."

Trae
01-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I'd like to be able to post comments using Ctrl+Enter. :D I know that's a pretty small thing, but it saves a lot of time having to manually click on the post button. :P

Sci
01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Something additional for the Commisions section maybe;

* Setting a default currency, rather than having to select it each time you add an item
* Tick-boxes beside comisson items and a "contact about" link that generates an enqury template automatically based on what's selected. If a summery is available in your inbox it may be useful for users with a high throughput to manage requests better, EG; message header showing "Comission enquiry; Character sheet + wings + background" or "Comission enquiry; sketch + additional characters"

Very much agree with per-item examples and custom item orders already as listed.

AlexGoneLoco
01-20-2014, 11:54 PM
This is already possible. Just copying and pasting since this is the third time I've helped with this today haha:

"Go to Settings and under Preferences there's a link for Folder Options. Go there, and here you can make a folder and then hit edit folder options, where the first option will allow you to make whatever submissions that are in that folder your Featured submission(s)."

Oh man, I was just shown this like a minute ago. I am so happy right now! Thank you :D

FlynnCoyote
01-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Is there a priority these are being handled in?

One thing I've seen a lot of people gripe over on other sites is the inability to edit or delete your own comments here. There are some folks who flat out refuse to use the site because of it. Rash comments, typos, things like that they'd like to be able to change discreetly without mod help.

It's a small thing but it seems that it means a lot.

fuzzer
01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Great to hear about the tumbnails :)

Another suggestion;
Instead of the 'name on 00-00-2014 at 00:00:00 CET' format you see in comments, i would rather see something like ' posted x time ago' .
maybe when clicked, or when it's a few days old, it could show the exact date and time. ^^

Fiz
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Is there a priority these are being handled in?

One thing I've seen a lot of people gripe over on other sites is the inability to edit or delete your own comments here. There are some folks who flat out refuse to use the site because of it. Rash comments, typos, things like that they'd like to be able to change discreetly without mod help.

It's a small thing but it seems that it means a lot.

There's no priority since just because something is on this list, doesn't mean it will get implemented. It's just a list of suggestions that ended up in a lot of threads, or suggestions that staff particularly found neat.

As for comment management, it's something that'll come eventually. No ETA, we're still trying to figure out the best way to handle it because it's likely going to be more complicated than just a comment hiding feature. We know the tiny thumbnails and lack of comment hiding is our biggest gripes right now and we are working to get those fixed, but unfortunately we don't have a time frame for either of those right now. So thanks for everybody's patience regarding these issues.

Reiji
01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm hesitant to start a whole new thread for this, so I'm going to put this here, since it seems to be the appropriate place. I've gone through several pages of the forums looking to see if I can find anyone address this issue, and if I missed it, I apologize.

What I want to suggest is an option to change the language of the site for people that don't speak English. Considering we can choose what timezone we're in, shouldn't it follow that we're allowed to select to see the site in any of the languages that are spoken within that region? Wouldn't it be great if an artist from any country could come to this website and navigate in their own language? I think it would go a long way in making people feel more welcome.

Fiz
01-22-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm hesitant to start a whole new thread for this, so I'm going to put this here, since it seems to be the appropriate place. I've gone through several pages of the forums looking to see if I can find anyone address this issue, and if I missed it, I apologize.

What I want to suggest is an option to change the language of the site for people that don't speak English. Considering we can choose what timezone we're in, shouldn't it follow that we're allowed to select to see the site in any of the languages that are spoken within that region? Wouldn't it be great if an artist from any country could come to this website and navigate in their own language? I think it would go a long way in making people feel more welcome.

A very good idea but this would probably take some time since it would require translating a lot of things, even if we didn't translate the bigger documents like our Policy documents.

Reiji
01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
A very good idea but this would probably take some time since it would require translating a lot of things, even if we didn't translate the bigger documents like our Policy documents.

There's no doubt it'd take quite a while to translate, but maybe it's something you could ask the community to take part in? There are many people that want to see this website expand and succeed, and I'm sure you could find volunteers to work on this, even if it's over a long period of time. From the sound of it, this idea wouldn't be implemented for quite a long time anyway, so even if the volunteers are only translating one page per week or less, it'd still more getting done than if we were to abandon the idea completely.

Fiz
01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
There's no doubt it'd take quite a while to translate, but maybe it's something you could ask the community to take part in? There are many people that want to see this website expand and succeed, and I'm sure you could find volunteers to work on this, even if it's over a long period of time. From the sound of it, this idea wouldn't be implemented for quite a long time anyway, so even if the volunteers are only translating one page per week or less, it'd still more getting done than if we were to abandon the idea completely.

Yea if this is something we were to implement, we would need the help of the multilingual community to help us with the project. It'd take a while and be worth it, but I'm not sure it's something we can handle right now. I put it on the common suggestions list because it's an excellent idea.

otherscape
01-22-2014, 12:52 PM
I posted a separate thread about it, but maybe the ability to have a "marked as read" option for notes that will keep them in your notifications so forgetful users like me remember they exist.

kleet
01-22-2014, 02:29 PM
I would like to get "export as EPUB" or EPUB support in general for stories, to make Weasyl more like SoFurry in that regard.

The "default" seems to be PDF, which is very unsuitable for mobile devices and most screens/formats. PDF format is primarily designed to make something easy to print, not easy to read.

sunshyne
01-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I don't think the Collections system can be salvaged, and here's why. First off, you can't write the description for your own piece unless the artist agrees. Which is a problem if you like to post short stories with your commissioned pieces, or simply like to explain them in your own words.

Second, collections are in a separate tab from your gallery, which means most people miss half of your content on a quick browse of your user page.

Third, although it may sound petty, the Collections system keeps people from gaining any following whatsoever off of pieces that they thought up, and which involve their characters. I watch tons of people of FA who are not artists but frequent commissioners. If I particularly like any of their pieces, I will ALSO watch the artist, because the commissioner always gives proper credit. But I still like the character and the person, and want to follow them even though they don't draw. On Weasyl, there really isn't a place for users like that.

Fourth, I think it will actually HURT artist revenues because for all of the reasons mentioned above, people will view commissions as less desirable and valuable. I bet if you were to do a poll most people would be less likely to commission art in the future if the Collections system were to become the norm. I certainly feel that way as someone who has commissioned plenty of art myself. Not to mention, artists will lose exposure because less people view users' Collections than their Galleries.

Finally, I think it's simply unfair to not allow the commissioner to display the picture in his or her own gallery. If they created the character and thought up the scene, then they deserve to share in the creative credit. I mean, screenwriters get due credit for writing a great movie, not just the actors and directors, right? Paying the artist for his or her time is just the icing on the cake.

How many other artistic communities actually place restrictions on display rights for commissioned and paid-for pieces? To me it seems like saying "Here's a link to a copy of the portrait you had me paint of you, but the actual painting is staying with me." Which is just odd. In my eyes the only reasonable solution is, once the site has the proper capabilities, to scrap the Collections system and just allow people to re-post in their galleries like most other sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is there a chance of changing the notifications icons to better delineate between communications direct at you (i.e. comments, shouts) and communications directed at everyone (i.e. journals)? As it stands now, it is a little confusing to tell when you have personal messages versus just journals, etc.

Fiz
01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
How many other artistic communities actually place restrictions on display rights for commissioned and paid-for pieces? To me it seems like saying "Here's a link to a copy of the portrait you had me paint of you, but the actual painting is staying with me." Which is just odd. In my eyes the only reasonable solution is, once the site has the proper capabilities, to scrap the Collections system and just allow people to re-post in their galleries like most other sites.

There is no restriction; you are allowed to post purchased pieces as long as the original artist is okay with it. Collections are NOT required.

sunshyne
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
There is no restriction; you are allowed to post purchased pieces as long as the original artist is okay with it. Collections are NOT required.

It isn't that obvious from the giant Weasyl mascot saying "Not your work? Learn about Collections!" on the submission page. It seems to be either prohibited, or strongly discouraged to re-post commissions here that you have gotten from others (assuming the artist is on Weasyl).

Fiz
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
It isn't that obvious from the giant Weasyl mascot saying "Not your work? Learn about Collections!" on the submission page. It seems to be either prohibited, or strongly discouraged to re-post commissions here that you have gotten from others (assuming the artist is on Weasyl).

Quoting the very top of the help page for Collections (https://www.weasyl.com/help/collections):

Although we have this system, users are still allowed to upload pieces made for them/that include them. However, we do encourage users to try the Collections feature.

Nothing is being prohibited, nothing is discouraged.

Ransom
01-22-2014, 11:36 PM
I haven't yet seen this suggestion exactly. I noticed things like it, but not quite.

I think perhaps it would be useful, that when you are submiting a normal submission if you could use a dropdown extra menu to add this image to a character that exists in your list.( Similar to the suggestion to have multiple pages to a character). So images would still show in your normal gallery, but if viewers went to your character gallery and selected a character, they could see another gallery under it as "more of this character". (leaving it blank would not add it to any character.) This could also show art of that character that is in your collections and pool it all into one place. It would especially be useful for commissions if I could see multiple character images to use for refs by having this, as well the primary image the user has for the ref sheet. And would be fun for watchers who particularily admired a character and wanted to see more of them too. Adding additional usefulness could occur by letting it show up in the main gallery under a character sub-folder if you submitted it, one sub folder per character with additional art pages.

This would meet both desires fpr multiple pages of a character submission request from others, and for the desires for characters to show up in the main gallery.

Thanks for this wonderful site, i love it so much so far. It is clean, easy to use, and has everything i need. I hope to be here for a nice long time. Admin, please keep up the great work on this site!

I like this! Being able to tag submissions as featuring specific characters and having it pooled together for easy browsing sounds like a really cool idea.

Samael
01-23-2014, 01:39 AM
Could we put the Remove All buttons further away from the other buttons? I keep hitting it thinking it's "Remove Selected" because I'm an idiot and I see a red button saying Remove next to the select buttons and my mind skips straight to the nuking. Like if it were in the bottom right corner instead of just to the right of the remove selected, my reptile brain would probably make the mistake less often but that's just me.

indigo_the_cat
01-23-2014, 02:07 AM
I really think that allowing other people to make tags on submissions that aren't their own could lead to problems down the road. I've already heard of a few accounts of people receiving troll-tags on their work. Could we be given an option to not allow other users to tag our submissions, perhaps individually per submission? Otherwise, just allowing us to turn off other-person tagging in our settings would be good, too.

Velo
01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Commission related.
Could it be possible to get some kind of separate place for people to promote the opened up there slots again on Weasyl's main website?
I know there is a forum with the market topic. but hear me out for a minute...
I just saw in one batch for 30 submissions two 'my commissions are open now' submissions that didn't really added much extra value to the gallery. Just like it tends to happen on FA and other art sites. I hope this won't start on Weasyl. Because that could really lower the pleasure of browsing all new art submitted.

I do know there are the fora and there is the market. I know. But people tend to be lazy from time to time and adding it as a gallery art piece, is easier and faster done and attracts a bigger audience. (Or that might be what people think?)
Don't forget many of them come from FA with it's YCH and all kinds of reminders posted in between the art.

Might be a good thing to think about to keep the art section cleared of spam/reminders/double posts?

Tiido
01-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Looks like more file formats support for sound is already a common suggestion.

I would love to see OGG support here - smaller files that sound better, saves on bandwidth but main attraction is that is just sounds better. MP3 destroys the high freq range even at highest bitrates.
For now I'll post links to alternate versions on my own server for people wishing better sounding files.

LovelyGenesis
01-24-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure if this has been suggested, or if it has previously been implemented and I'm just blind and can't find it, but is a submission queue/scheduler feasible? As in, being able to tell the site when to let the submission go through? Sometimes I want to upload things while I'm away from my computer so I can have a reasonably steady stream of art going up, but I can't because this feature doesn't exist/I can't find it.

If this does exist and I've just missed it, could you direct it to me? You can delete my post if this suggestion has been made already/exists, I'd just like to know before hand about if it's feasible or already done. Thank you!

Unimpressive
01-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Commission related.
Could it be possible to get some kind of separate place for people to promote the opened up there slots again on Weasyl's main website?

Might be a good thing to think about to keep the art section cleared of spam/reminders/double posts?

I like how stream notifications are set off in their own little space in the notifications page. This would also be a good place to put other common announcements that would otherwise go in submissions or journals, like commission slots, TOS changes and the like.

Sangie
01-24-2014, 01:18 PM
I hope you all fight against a lot of the FA specific suggestions, such as IDs, comment deleting, preview and full-size options, etc

Also someone asked to disable downloads? XD Wow...

I just want tag categories so uploaders are required to at least tag species and genders.

Fiz
01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I hope you all fight against a lot of the FA specific suggestions, such as IDs, comment deleting, preview and full-size options, etc

Also someone asked to disable downloads? XD Wow...

I just want tag categories so uploaders are required to at least tag species and genders.

Those thing's aren't really FA specific? Stuff like comment deleting has been on other sites for years. We're just trying to figure out the best way to apply it to Weasyl so that people are less able to abuse it.

Sax
01-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Commission related.
I know there is a forum with the market topic. but hear me out for a minute...
I just saw in one batch for 30 submissions two 'my commissions are open now' submissions that didn't really added much extra value to the gallery. Just like it tends to happen on FA and other art sites. I hope this won't start on Weasyl. Because that could really lower the pleasure of browsing all new art submitted.

Yeah this. I had stopped browsing FA because it seemed like every other submission was a YCH offer or a stream notice. (hyperbole)

Velo
01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah this. I had stopped browsing FA because it seemed like every other submission was a YCH offer or a stream notice. (hyperbole)
*Or a sale offer or a discount or ... >.>'
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this <3

FancyOwls
01-24-2014, 07:15 PM
A couple suggestions that I didn't see on the list 'o' suggestions.

Message Center: The ability to delete specific sections of your message center (JUST your favourites, or JUST the notifications of new journals). Having to manually check every message in order to delete it specifically is super cumbersome and I'd love to be able to just leave things I want for later (like comments) and delete things that are taking up space that have already been dealt with.

Inbox: Keeping the previous part of the note in the reply of the note. Whenever you reply to a note in the inbox it deletes all the notes that came before it, making tracking conversations really difficult. It'd be nice to have the old notes hang out in the text box for you to either select and delete or to keep so that the person you're replying to can recall what was said in their previous note. Its good for transactions and commissions especially.

I think that's it for now... keep up the good work guys!

Draugr
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure if this would run afoul of privacy concerns or anything, but it would be cool to have a feature to send a text message to your phone when specific followed artists are streaming. Or perhaps simply an e-mail - my phone notifies me when I get an e-mail, and that would be suitably distant from having any "private" information like a phone number.

With FA I am constantly having to multitask between checking for stream updates for streams I want to attend (without knowing 100% for sure if the artist is even going to stream that day), and, say, watching TV/movies, playing a video game, etc. It'd be nice to just set my phone aside and listen for a DROOOOOOOIIIIID.

QT Melon
01-25-2014, 10:24 PM
I really wish that "Remove All" button was further away or in another spot. I've clicked on it so many times by accident because of my touchpad/mouse.

solidstate
01-27-2014, 12:20 AM
A couple of suggestions from just using the site for a few days. I hope these aren't repeats but I didn't see them in the first page list. Some might be along the lines of "Custom ordering of folders on page" but might be more specific.

1. Add an option to put the folders section at the top of the page instead of submissions, characters, etc.
2. Display characters and collections like folders in the folders section; i.e. with the last thumbnail. Currently it's hard to know who has any when you look at the page.
3. Add an option to show a count within collections, or characters in the menu strip so you can see that some exist when looking at a profile.
4. Optionally put folders above the last submission or even above the text menu instead of below.
5. Have the ability to order parts of the page from the top down, 1 = submissions, 2 = menu strip, 3 = folders, 4 = last submission, 5 = shouts, etc.
6. Set a max height/dimension for the last submission on the profile page; i.e. 1280 pixels, etc. That way the original can be much larger without dominating the profile if the owner wants it to.

Thanks for everything!

PlayPossum
01-27-2014, 03:52 PM
It seems my suggestion is already listed here as common, so I'll just reiterate it.

Thumbnails don't show what kind of media is being looked at, we need to write it on the thumbnail image itself to make our galleries clear.
But there is the fact that not everyone will do it, so you browse aimlessly through, say, the gallery of a hybrid artist or the latest submissions in the site.

Color-coding it or using custom borders would be a way of doing it, but I think it is not very intuitive, so I made a visual suggestion (ignore my rusty Paint skills) on 20x20 good old icons that represent miscellaneous media types:

http://i.imgur.com/EpyaucFl.png (imgur.com/EpyaucF)

I believe that's the easiest approach on that.
Also Normal images don't need an icon because of their static and visual nature. The thumbnail already represents the image.
And as you can see, I think it works with no conflict on the colored ratings. If it is a problem at all, it can just be moved to another corner.

Wren
01-28-2014, 03:22 AM
Just a small suggestion: I noticed that my age changed a day early (birthday is today as of midnight CST, but yesterday it had changed early) and when I looked around to make sure I had put in the right date, I noticed that I couldn't find a birthday section anywhere! It might be a good idea to list it in your profile settings, even if you're not able to change it. It's obviously saved on the site, so I don't think it would hurt to put it somewhere visible for the user too.

AlexGoneLoco
01-28-2014, 05:18 AM
I don't see this one on the list

When you go into a category in your submission/art sections (for instance, view and manage collections) when you clear those notifications instead of saying "There are no notifications to display." it should redirect you back to the submission/art section. I hate having to click a butt load of crap just to see what's been uploaded.

Also, there should be an option to display all instead of having to go into the separate categories. I like that they exist, but it's annoying wading through them.

skylerbunny
01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey, FancyOwls!

Message Center: The ability to delete specific sections of your message center (JUST your favourites, or JUST the notifications of new journals). Having to manually check every message in order to delete it specifically is super cumbersome and I'd love to be able to just leave things I want for later (like comments) and delete things that are taking up space that have already been dealt with.

This is oft requested, and our tracker for it is here: https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/171

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya, Wren.

This one comes up so rarely that if someone has an issue with their birthdate (the notion being, you DID put in your correct birthdate, riiiiight? Right?) If something need be changed, we just have them email support at weasyl.com to get it fixed - which they have to do anyway to change it, as you pointed out. I'll create a Redmine suggestion for it though. It'll probably be low on the list with other issues on our plate. :) https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/242

Sammacha
01-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Sorry if this has already been suggested but could it be asked that people lock/close their Hiring threads once they have chosen someone
and possibly their critique threads if its about one certain image and they no longer wish to receive crit as they have completed or gone onto something new?

I see people replying to things from 03-25-2013, which is quite old, but people often click without looking at the date. i know I am guilty of this sometimes, buts its kind of a waste. Or perhaps threads could be deleted after X amount of time
I think it may be easier if that happens rather then bumping new threads with ones that nobody cares much about anymore.

at least on my old forum, I was able to change the user permissions for certain areas, just wondering if this ability might be opened for those areas.